New Adventure with Starcraft 1999 Venture Pop-Up

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Malonie Moeller, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Malonie Moeller

Malonie Moeller New Member

6732BA4D-1318-4F56-9123-B98D0DC25233.jpeg AC1ECDA4-00F0-4488-9E76-1FCD9B153915.jpeg
    left side

A7089D73-88C5-4A10-9149-535BF696E445.jpeg
    Right side
    064673F5-B844-41D3-B3BA-BF8736472613.jpeg
    Right side

We recently purchased a 1999 Venture and we are getting it set up in the drive way to do a deep clean and make sure it’s functional before camping. All has been good until the door set up. When attempted to latch the top and bottom door together, I noticed the latch is way off and won’t even grab the hook. Then I noticed the gaps are uneven on either side of the frame. It was definitely level prior to, and we’ve even done some adjusting either way with no change. Any suggestions?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

First thing .......
    Welcome.png
    Now I have a question for you. Did you level your camper side to side with something under the tire on the low side or do something else.
    Did you level your front to back using the tongue jack or something else.
    My point being .... many times the stabilizer jacks are used to level the camper, and they are not for that. They can distort the side panels of the camper and change the door opening. They are only to take the wiggle out and to prevent a seesaw effect when walking to the rear of the camper.
    When the camper a leveled correctly, it maybe now ...with no body tension do some measuring. Is the door opening equal up and down side to side. when that is OK and the roof isn't too high the door should fit. Our Jayco didn't even have catches to hold the top to the bottom, none needed. I wonder if those were added poorly.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Details are good, but a full picture of the door may add more to the story.

4. Malonie Moeller

Malonie Moeller New Member

Thanks for the replies! We did level using the stabilizers initially, won’t make that mistake again. Seems like something is still going to be up with the door, since we’ve checked the level all over, but we’ll do better next time and see if it fixes it. How do we level it from side to side? It’s parked in the driveway. But I’m assuming maybe we would need to do that at a campsite potentially. Here’s a picture of the full door. BE2329FB-5FAD-4E04-8F5F-91DF367409B2.jpeg

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

First, Welcome to the forum.

From your photo, it doesn't look like the Pup is level from front to back. Using the tongue jack, lower the front end and see if that helps.

To level side to side, you need to put something under the whichever wheel is low. I use 2x8 lumber, but a lot of folks buy "lego" blocks like these to put under the wheels.
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Leveling-Hydraulic-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B072VSBLH7

81pq3e2qkhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

6. JoeW22

JoeW22 New Member

I use a BAL leveler ..you can get them on Amazon..so much easier than backing up or pulling forward onto blocks

Check out the video