New and in need of some help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Eric Ylizaliturri, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Eric Ylizaliturri

Eric Ylizaliturri New Member

Hi everyone my name is Eric and what brought me here is my cousins trailer or pop up not sure what the proper lingo is. Last year my cousin had a seizure out of the blue so his wife and two little girls took him to the hospital where he was diagnosed with stage four brain cancer. Shortly after they purchased this little trailer to go camping, something he always wanted to share with his girls. Unfortunately the treatments took their toll on him from the start and wasn’t able to take his girls camping, he passed within the year. He was only 46 and with a family that misses him dearly every day, I’m trying to find ways for the little ones to stay positive and to do things dad always wanted to do. So I have them here with me and the trailer in the driveway and would love to take them for a little camping trip but the trailer has some issues that I need to fix first. Just need some how to advice on how to fix some stuff.

2. Eric Ylizaliturri

The first problem I encountered was no running lights so I moved the trailer during the day. The brake lights and turn signals work fine just no running lights. So I checked out the 7 pin connector and it looked a bit corroded so I replaced it and still have no running lights. I replaced the bulbs first then the 7 pin. I checked the fuses in the trailer all are good and the tow vehicle is a new Ford Explorer. I went underneath and not much of anything under there as far as wiring goes, any suggestions wher to look?

3. Eric Ylizaliturri

The trailer is a Fleetwood Tucson.

Attached Files:

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

First thing I would do it take a test light and check the pigtail on both the camper side and tow vehicle side on all pins so you can narrow the problem a little. When I had that problem it turned out something was wrong on my tow vehicle. Even if it's a new vehicle it could be something as simple as a fuse on the tow vehicle is missing or blown. In my case I had a blown fuse in my tow vehicle. Like you, I searched all over the camper and even brought it to the shop to be looked at only for them to say, it works fine. Good luck, hopefully yours is as simple fix as mine. By the way sorry for the loss and welcome to the portal. Once you get everything up and running take those girls camping.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Check the fuses in your Explorer. The only time I had problems with just dead trailer running lights, I had a blown fuse in my tow vehicle. There could be up to four different fuses affected. Check your vehicle manual. Also purchase a TAIL LIGHT TESTER to verify the problem is not with the vehicle.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    nineoaks2004 likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Let us know what you find.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Here are the pinouts for the 7-pin Bargman connector.

[​IMG]

Instead of a test light I'd highly recommend you instead use a DVM (Digital Voltmeter) which these days are quite inexpensive.

You might also want to download a parts manual, owner's manual, lift system repair guide, etc, all of which are available here.

https://colemanpopupparts.com/

10. Econ

Econ Active Member

Who wired the Bargeman (TV)socket? Factory?
    upload_2019-11-26_9-3-59.jpeg

Did you clean the bulb socket contact points when you replaced the bulbs?

Is it your tail lights that dont work or your running lights? or both?

I would be surprised if the camper had separate fuses for running lights/etc. The purpose of a fuse is to protect the wiring and the camper designer is probably relying on the TV fuse.

Does the running lights/taillights on the TV work?

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Loosing my Dad as a grown man expecting it for years was crushing, I can't imagine loosing him as a child.
    +1 on verifying you have power from the TV (tow vehicle)

13. Eric Ylizaliturri

Hi everyone, thank you for all the responses and sorry for my late response it’s been crazy around here. We figured it out finally.. Just after my cousin had purchased the pop up his friend replaced the side running lights, his wife remembers a couple were broken so they replaced all four with new ones. His friend is an electrician so I didn’t think there would be a problem but behind those rivets and silicon was the answer. When he replaced the lights he put the green wire as ground and the white as hot but as you guys know and we know now the green is the supply and white is ground. I’m not sure if all trailers are wired this way but I was surprised. So I cut and spliced them back the other way and replaced the fuse that was blown and we have running lights! Like some of you guys said there are multiple fuses for the tow connector, when I checked the book I just saw the first one and checked it and stoped should of kept reading but with the lights wired right no more blown fuses. I need to take pictures of the electric brake stuff and ask you guys about that, the wires are cut underneath by each wire and there is some sort of module by the battery that is rusted out, when I get back I’ll post some pics. Thank You All for the help we appreciate it!

BikeNFish likes this.
  14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Actually campers are the only trailers I've ever found to use the green wire for tail/clearance lights. White has been ground on all trailers I've worked on. Other trailers use brown for tail/clearance lights and green for right turn/brake. They use the same terminal in the 7 blade connector, but use different color wires. The center (purple) wire can be used for different things. My TV uses it for reverse lights, but my PUP had the 12 volt feed for the fridge connected to it.