New and need help!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Simona Finney, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Simona Finney

Simona Finney New Member

My husband and I just bought a 1997 Rockwood Freedom 1940 model. We have some gnarly rust stains that appear to be between the canvas. I’ve tried mold and mildew, ivory dish soap, Clorox and hot water. Nothing seemed to work. Thought about painting it but not sure how well that would hold up. Thinking of trying a salt, lemon juice, and warm water soak in the sun (if we ever get any here lol). Going to post a picture. All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Welcome to the party. You have come to the right place. I cant help because I Look at stains differently than most. I consider them more like battle scars or patina on old furniture. Someone will be here with some help.

3. Sara Lucas

Sara Lucas New Member

Check out thepopupprincess.com. She used a product that worked well but I've forgotten the name.

4. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I've had trouble getting stains out too. Depending on the tent material, be careful! My pop up came with most of the original care instructions, and bleach was a Nono. I'd make sure you rinse it as well as you can. Maybe an oxygen type cleaner? Maybe someone will have a solution that works, but i was afraid of damaging the vinyl/canvas..

5. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! Good luck with your cleanup.

6. Simona Finney

Simona Finney New Member

I believe it was a 303 cleaner

7. Simona Finney

Simona Finney New Member

8. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Greetings and welcome to the Portal from Colorado!

We used a solution of water and OxiClean applied with a fairly stiff bristle brush. We put a plastic sheet over the bunk mattress and applied the solution to the stain with the brush - more to cover the stain with solution than to scrub it. We made sure the stain was complete wet and waited a few minutes before applying more solution and this time using the brush to scrub the stain. We then wiped the stain with a towel and let it dry. This got most of the stains - enough that I no longer look up and wonder how to get the stains out.