New awning install help

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by carguy4471, Feb 20, 2020.

1. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

So I have a new clipper pop up and it came with an awning (dometic 7 foot) in a box for me to install. I pulled it out of the box and put together the end rail that has the poles in it and then realized it has 4 receptacles for the poles that are supposed to be mounted to the pop up. 2 go up near the awning mount for the top poles and 2 go near the bottom for the support poles.

I'm not at all comfortable running screws into the side of my brand new pop up. I have no idea if these things have studs, if they do are the screws supposed to go into them, how would one find them??, etc. Do I pull the screws back out and silicone them and reinstall them to seal things up??

What great wisdom have folks got for me so that hopefully I can mount these little receptacle things??

Thanks everyone!!

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The instructions should come with either a template or measurements as to where the brackets go.. I would get a tube of dicor lap sealant and once the screw locations are marked out smear a bit of dicor onto the brackets (just prior to installing them) and dip the screws into the dicor, then screw into the walls and roof..

3. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

Unfortunately the instructions do not include any template or even indication on where the bits should be mounted. They are pretty generic and vague. Thank you for the tip on the sealant though, I'll get some ordered up.

4. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Don't use silicone sealant on your popup..You never get in off if have to reseal.

xxxapache likes this.
  6. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

Is dicor silicone??

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ok, so what I get from that and how I would do it (may or may not be the correct way) would be to assemble the awning on the floor, then slide the rubber end into the "C" channel on the roof until the awning is centered. then hold the rafter poles up to the roof to determine where to mount those ball sockets. Once those are attached, I would hold the vertical poles up to the trailer sidewall and locate where those should be mounted..

Hopefully someone with a similar setup on a similar sized pup comes along and can offer more help..

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Nope ..... good stuff it comes in leveling (for flat surfaces like roofs) and non leveling forms.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

No, Dicor is actually made as a sealant for the rubber membrane roofs used on larger trailers.. But it is a good sealant to use when attaching things to any exterior surface.. There are a few other "sealants" that would work just as good and maybe even better.. Silflex (sp??) makes a couple..

10. carguy4471

carguy4471 Member

Now I just need to figure out where it's going to be ok to put screws into the side of my new rig.... this scares me a fair bit.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My TT has a 16 ft awning that probably weighs 200 lbs. The lower supports are each fastened with two very large self tapping screws going right into the trailers aluminum skin. I have no clue what they hit after that, but it's not a wooden stud because my trailer doesnt have them. I have backed the screws out and sealed them with Parbond...Anyway, the TT is 25 years old and the awning is still there.