New Awning needed

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by srreality, Jul 23, 2015.

1. srreality

srreality New Member

2000 Coleman/Fleetwood - - awning blew off today, stitches tore loose from the roof attachment thingee - - - 15 years old, so probably about time - - -BUT now I need to get another one. Dometics sells one that probably replaces the "original" version, but is there a better way? Less complicated? Are there threads on here I'm missing? We have a screen room, too. that attaches to the "original" style awning, so does anyone know if the Dometics version at colemanpopupparts.com have the velcro to fasten the screen room onto?

2. jjg

jjg Member

Shademaker is another company that makes bag awnings.

3. srreality

srreality New Member

Thanks for the tip about Shademaker - - - I like their XL Supreme awning, but after looking the awning over better at home, I think it can be repaired. There is a local awning-canvas-tarp company locally that says they can restitch it for $40. I think I'll buy a new "gimp" for them to sew the old awning to and try that for the rest of this season.

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

I wish I can find a local awning-canvas-tarp company in our area to help me restitch our awning, but still don't know where to ask!

5. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I've been down this road before, and I'm going to tell you exactly what works so that you can have additional years of trouble free service. The issue of the awning is of course about the wind, did if blow off in the bag while you were traveling? There is a weak design issue here. The welt on the bag awning, or any awning for that matter is the quality of the welt and welt attachment. Look up something called Keder welt. It is used on boat sails. Once you see it, you will understand why it works so well, and you'll also understand how it is used. If you are having trouble finding an awning shop, don't sweat it, just find an automotive upholstery shop. Order up enough Keder welt to replace your existing welt, and then take everything to the upholstery shop. You can also probably get a furniture upholstery shop to do the work as well, possibly a shop that recovers sofas, etc.