New BAL leveler phone number

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Grandpa Don, Oct 21, 2020.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Reading the reviews, the trigger issue is common with the Bauer drills along with chuck breaking and tightening issues. Don't need to induce problems on a camping trip. Never had those issues with DeWalt and Makitas. The 20v drills usually have 3 speeds. Assuming everyone here is using the slowest setting for raising the camper.

Grandpa Don likes this.
  2. davekro

davekro Active Member

I bet your Dewalt has a decent trigger that lets you more easily vary the speed than my less expensive Harbor Freight Bauer. If I was buying again I wo UK l'd search be sure toget a better variable trigger, and willing to pay the extra.

I do not try to control the torque with just my hands. Since my crank is low (on the frame below the box) I use the drill upside down and put the battery against my leg, lean into it, and then apply power. Because there is so much torque I am very concerned that hitting the top could easily break the cable or pull the canvas apart, so I try to stop a few inches early, then use the manual crank. I cannot trust my Bauer's trigger to 'super slow' near the top. Yours may be OK with that. Ha, since sometimes switching up/down, I am never 'sure' I remember which direction the torque will push, so Always test which side to put my knee on. :) For those who whose crank is higher up you might brace with your hip or whatever. Of course, if you guess the wrong direction the drill WILL torque your wrist and smack your body when it flips around. ;)

I made Sharpie marks on the channel that raises marked for 'almost top' and 'very top'. I always use the handle at the very end any way. to fine tune the height for the door.

3. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

You sound like a man with experience! Everything you said above is what I experienced. It is like you were here watching me the first time I use the DW drill. My DW trigger does seem to be more able to run in slow speed. But like you, I don't trust it when it gets close to the top. I also raise the last few inches with the hand crank. I have only just starting using the DW drill, so I don't have much experience with it in the field. I've only use it a few times here at home just to see how it does. It works great on the winch, the BAL leveler, the stabilizers, and I can use it to raise the camper up with a succors jack to change a tire if I have a flat. That's is unbelievable! I only hope it last and does not break on me when I actually need it. Even then, if it does break I have all the back-up tools to do the same job by hand. I got it for $108.00 total. It came with the drill, two batteries, a carrying bag, and a charger. The batteries are small, but they seem to work just fine. I can charge them in the field with a 300 Watt plug-in inverter if needed. Plus, I just purchased a new Predator 3500 Watt inverter generator to take along for my A/C unit. I'll be making a post about that in another thread.

davekro likes this.
  4. SDK

SDK New Member

The 2,000lb rating on this leveler is actual weight lifted, not overall trailer weight, correct? I have a single axle PUP with a dry weight of 2,050 lbs and a GVWR of, 3,081 lbs.

I'm assuming I can use a BAL leveler for anything short of trying to lift the entire camper into the air with it.

5. Grandpa Don

I would assume that you are only lifting 1/2 of the camper's weight with the Leveler. So I think you would be fine. Just be sure to keep the screw well lubricated. I also keep mine covered with a piece of PVC pipe as shown. I keep my leveler installed on the camper when it is stored to help prevent someone deciding that they want it more than I do. It would be pretty hard for the camper to move with it installed.

BAL Leveler.jpg

Attached Files:

SDK likes this.
  6. SDK

SDK New Member

If they took it you should be able to follow the gouge in the road and string of curses right to the thief :grin:

Thanks for the reply Don. Very helpful. I'm assuming the PVC is to keep the grease in and the dirt out of the the threads?

7. Grandpa Don

Yep! I was told by the BAL tech support people that if you don't keep the threads on the screw lightly lubricated it will wear out the threads and could lead to failure.

SDK likes this.
  8. Annunzi

Annunzi Member Gold Supporting Member

Good tip on keeping the threads lubricated!

I just got a BAL leveler and haven't used it yet. But given the discussion above on trying to control the torque when winding the leveler, I'm thinking an impact driver would work better than a drill. Dewalt has a 3 speed impact driver, with a "precision torque" setting (DCF887B), which I think would work well for this application. Has anyone tried out an impact driver with the BAL leveler?

9. Grandpa Don

Tech support said not to use an impact driver! It will eventually destroy the threads on the shaft. I'm using a Dewalt 20vMax driver cordless drill (no impact) and it will raise the leveler just fine. You put it on the driver setting and you would not have a problem. I also use the same Dewalt to raise and lower the top. There is more than enough torque.

Annunzi likes this.
  10. Annunzi

Thanks Grandpa Don, I also have a Dewalt 20V drill/driver that I use to raise and lower the stabilizer jacks, so I'll give that a try on the leveler. I really just wanted an excuse to add another toy to my tool collection :)

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I pass tools on to the boys, so I can up grade. Look at the CPO website. I've picked up some tools from them. I got a 20v DeWalt drill, for the new trailer, and had to get the 20v DeWalt mini bandsaw so I could get the "free" battery pack.

12. Annunzi

Those are some good deals! Unfortunately, doesn't look like they ship to Canada. Even if they did, it would a challenge trying to sneak one new power tool delivery past my wife, let alone two ;)

13. Grandpa Don

You won't have any trouble with that drill. Just be careful of the torque. It will try to take it out of your hands pretty fast. Go slow and on the slow setting of the drill. I'm running a test on mine. So far I've raised and lowered the top on the camper twice, raised and lowered the leveler and lowered and raised the stabilizer jacks twice on the same battery charge. I don't know how long the one battery will last before it needs a charge, but I'm going to find out. I do have two batteries for the drill, and I can charge them while boondocking.

14. Grandpa Don

Just tell her that it will help her with the housework!

Annunzi likes this.
  15. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

Grandpa Don, you never cease to amaze me. The PCV cover over the screw to keep the threads clean. But I am going to make you think about redoing it it. I think I am going to make mine long enough for the screw to fit inside, a length of PCV with a cap glued on one end and another cap to push on the other end to keep it clean while traveling or a glued on adaptor with a screw in plug. What do you think?

16. Grandpa Don

You are absolutely correct. It should be longer. I searched all around my place trying to find a longer piece. But this was the only scrap of PVC I could find. It was left over from a lawn sprinkler job I did some years ago. The local Hardware store won't sell me a foot long piece. And I don't need an 8 foot piece. I figure that at some time in my travels I'll find just the length I need. A cap on the end is a good idea.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021