New Batteries

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Lagman, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Lagman

Lagman Member

I purchased 2 Trojan T 105 6 volt for my PU to power the lights and 1500w Samlex inverter. After reading the spec sheet I found that they will only charge to 80%. Accordingly, it states that they won't reach full capacity (100%) till 50 charge cycles. Then I've read they should not be taken below 80% when using. My next trip is for 3 weeks with some time (8 days) dry. I will have a 2800w genny for use an charging them back up. So I'll need them, mostly at night not a lot to power. My questions are, 1. Is it feasible to expect decent use for the time I'll be using them with the 80%? 2. Should I start cycling them now? I can use a 40 amp trolling motor to draw them down, then charge them back up? I know this will take time. Is it worth it? 3. Has anyone been in this situation? As always I respect and appreciate everyone's reply. The fact that we're new to PU camping with batteries and an inverter. We just want to do it correctly and safely. Thanks!

2. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

If they will not charge above 80% and you should not use them below 80% that essentially says you should not use them. Which is obviously ridiculous. :grin:

I run dual 6 volts. One of the main advantages of true deep cycle GC 6Vs is that they can withstand low draw downs better than most traditional batteries. The pair cost me less than $200. I let my charger charge them as much as it wants and use them as much as I'd like. I think I set my Victron monitor to alarm (warn me) at 50%. If they fail early I'll buy 2 more. :shocked: . But I don't think that's going to happen.

PS: I've been running boats and campers with 1-4 batteries since the 80s and not babying them. And I seem to have better luck than many folks. I accidentally left my batteries in a bass boat decades ago over the new england winter. Had it wrapped before I pulled the batteries. I plugged in a charger a few times over the winter. They were fine and lasted for years. Have had many boats and campers since then and never again pulled batteries in the winter. Some would call that abuse. But it works for me.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

The downside to Trojan brand flooded batteries is they require a bulk charging voltage of 14.8 volts (for a pair of 6 volts) vs 14.4 volts for most other brands. Unless you're using a charger that can deliver this required buik voltage you're not charging them "correctly" anyway. Unfortunately the devil is in the details. ;)

Lagman likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

All deep cycle batteries have a "break in" period before they reach their full potential. But I wouldn't unnecessarily cycle them, that would just shorten their overall life. I would, however, hook them up to a good 3 stage standalone charger for at least 24 hours before their first use.