New battery drained after 3 uses

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Kristiecowans, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

[?] Hello,
    So confused about my battery. New to me pup had a new battery when we got it, but it would drain after 3 uses to be dead? I started disconnecting the battery once we were home thinking appliances like the propane detector were eating up ampage-sadly this did not help. Took the pup out for a trip and got to sit in the dark till I dug out my lanterns from tent camping LOL (glad I still had them!). I had all the electrical checked out by an RV repair guy, he said the wiring checked out fine. I also had a charge cord installed on my TV too! What could be happening to the battery in just a few months to drain it?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Have actually recharged the battery? How? With a battery charger? You say you've been disconnecting it at home, but have you put it on a charger? How long between uses?
    Have you kept tabs on the level of charge while you were camping?
    Here's a good primer on 12v, including a chart indicating state of charge for batteries:
    http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Sorry for your woes. Do you own a volt meter?

4. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

hooking up to a battery tender when the camper is sitting at home would probably prevent these issues.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We learned real quick you really have to be conscious about your battery setup. We watch the DC VOLTAGE from the battery on a home made Battery monitor panel which are actual DC VOLT METERS..
    [​IMG]

When these meters start showing the battery voltage around 12.0VDC then we know we are approaching the 50% charge state of our batteries. Time to disconnect the battery and quit using them and start thinking about getting them charged back up.

Once a battery gets discharge down to its 50% charge state and not recharged back up to its 90% charge it won't be long you will be replacing the battery. Even doing a 90% charge state is also harmful in that you must do a full 100% charge state after 12-14 50%-90% charge state cycles.

Our trailer is equipped with a modern smart mode charging setup which I can connect to my 2kW generator and do my 50% to 90% charge state each morning when camping off the power grid. This takes right at three hours of generator run time. Our trips are most often never more than a week so we can get away without having to do the 100% charge state until we back home where we have electric...

You to decide how you want to camp using your POPUP trailer and then add more batteries to sustain this... The trailer has many small residual battery drains and if you are using the propane furnace the 12V blower will only last one day per battery using it...

Got to build-in a recharging PLANB to make it work for you...

batteries are not cheap by the way...

Roy Ken

6. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Do you have a fridge in your camper? By any chance is it running off of 12v? Check your switches. Also, when you charge your battery at home, both terminals are connected, right? Maybe bring the battery to an Auto supply store and have them charge it up and then wait a couple of hours and test it under a load. They usually do this for free.

7. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Most batteries do not handle being drained to depletion very well, and you don't know it's history.

Good luck!

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

A battery is not self-regenerating, are you charging it?

Tell us EXACTLY the brand and model number converter in your trailer.

9. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Where do we start?

1. You did not mention if you have charged it in between uses
    2. Without knowing the name and model of your inverter we can not tell if it has a built in charger to trickle charge the battery when driving.
    3. How many things are running while using the PUP.
    4. You said 3 uses, is that 3 nights or 3 x 2-3 night trips?

If you are thinking it is the battery, disconnect it and take it into any auto parts store and have them do a load test on it, this will tell you if the battery is good or bad (a good digital tester will tell them if the battery is just low on charge as well). If the battery is bad, make sure you purchase a deep cycle battery to put in it's place. They are designed for a deep discharge and multiple recharges.

10. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

I have the battery on a 12-volt trickle charge right now, it's taking a charge. The battery sits unused for about 1 to 2 months (I do a lot of camping since the pup is so new-love it!). With the volt meter it was reading 10.8 -but this was not enough to light my LED interior lights? I have been hand tightening the nuts on the battery-it it possible that I just haven't tightened them tight enough, could it be something stupid like that? The nuts were making good contact-just hand-tightened. There was a little corrosion too that I cleaned away. If a car battery sat untouched for a couple of months, it would run just fine so I was startled that my pup battery didn't, but it is new to me and I know I have to learn how to use it.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

You need to FULLY charge between uses, it is my opinion the a trickle charger is not the appropriate device to FULLY charge such a discharged battery.

I'd want a 10A smart charger at the minimum for one Deep cycle RV/amrine battery.

If ya got a magnetek 6612 power center, it don't charge batteries. What ya got would help, what trickle charge ya got?

Start by getting the battery fully charged!

12. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Kristie, First of all, if it is not a deep cycle battery it needs to be. Second, if the battery is hooked up for 1-2 months of non use the co2 detector and anything else drawing power when not in use will drain a battery down quite a bit over that timeframe.
    Third. A 12VDC Deep Cycle Battery at full charge is 12.8VDC or so. When you get to 12.0 VDC you are at 50% of the battery. A 10% charge on the battery would be 11.51VDC. So when you had 10VDC your battery was dead, so no lights, even LED lights, they need 12VDC to run. Once you charge it up, let it sit for awhile before you check the voltage. If you don' get the 12.7 to 12.8VDC you are not fully charged. Good luck and to get better answers supply your battery type and style and also your converter model (that is the box that has the circuit breakers on it) then folks will be able to help you better. If you Google search 12vdc battery usage chart, you can print it out for a handy reference. And if you have the chance read this http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm It's called the 12vdc side of life explains the whole system and process, lot of good information in there. [;)]

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I like a charge profile that gets the battery to mid to upper 14v and tapers the current to ~1% of capacity while maintaining the voltage.

a 100 ah battery held at 14.8v (temp compensated) till the current tapers to 1 amp is what I call FULLY charged.

14. gardenbliss

A reading of 10.8 is below 50% charge and your battery will suffer. If it is a Marine/deep cycle battery (hybrid)m you don't want the charge to go below 12.06v. Have the auto parts store give it a full charge, then you can keep it charged on a trickle charger (battery tender/battery minder), or use the plug on the camper connected to shore power before and after each trip and once a month during down time. Indeed, not tightening the wing nuts enough (or corrosion) will interrupt electrical flow from the battery. Once, when I arrived at CG, and tried to e-lift my roof, nothing happened. I checked all wires in and out of motor for loose connections, and then checked the battery terminals. The negative ring terminal was not making good connection, so I tightened down the wing nut and everything worked. Check out this link for good battery info< as well as the link Kitphantom suggested:

http://marine-electronics.net/techarticle/battery_faq/b_faq.htm

15. gardenbliss

One more suggestion, in between trips, and with a fully charged battery, consider getting a battery disconnect switch to prevent parasitic drain. Otherwise, just disconnect the negative wire leading to the battery.

16. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

17. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

A 12 volt battery is fully charged when it is at 12.6 volts or more. A reading of 10.8 is a dead battery.

All connections must be clean and tight.

I highly doubt you have ever fully charged this battery since owning. What brand and model charger are you using and what brand and model converter is in the RV. We can help you figure this out but YOU must provide the needed information.

This statement makes no sense. What makes you think the OP has an inverter? Even if they did have an inverter it would have nothing to do with charging the battery while driving.

18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I believe the parts books indicates it came with a magnetek 6612 power center, as previous noted, it does not have charging capability.

19. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Thank you for all your help on this battery issue, I really appreciate it! I thought that the 12 volt marine deep cell battery could just sit in it's box, and once a year you top off the water levels and that's that! I also thought that if the battery had a weak charge that the TV would charge it up just fine.

Now I know to plug in my pup to shore power once a month for maintenance, also before and after a trip, and I'm looking into getting a smart charger.

I'm going to visit my pup right now so I can note my type of battery and trickle charger being used (I store it at my parents house-my pops has it hooked up to his trickle charger :)

Also, I do have a refrigerator and I had that set to AC and not DC so it shouldn't have been drawing any power-I have since learned to keep the fridge set on gas & have the gas turned off! I'm learning so much, camping w/a pup is only half the fun! Thanks again everyone!

20. rabird

rabird Howdy!

what good will that do if your converter does not have charging capability?