new camper for us?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Arlyn Aronson, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Folks, We are considering selling our wonderful little popup we've had for the past 8+ years. Problem is, we recently picked up an ATV we sometimes need to haul out with ourselves to do trail work with and driving separately is a undesired option for us.. Below is a photo of the new beast plus an enclosed trailer with some camping options added. All we need in a trailer is a counter across its front, storage shelving to hold totes, window's that open and nice awning for cooking outside. We are waiting to get a price from Forest River who builds enclosed trailers as seen here with those options I listed for a 6x12 sized one. Whats your thoughts?

bosscamp1.jpg lovely-design-ideas-cargo-camping-trailer-12-my-cargo-camper-conversion-on-tiny-home.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    PopUpSteve likes this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I guessing a Toy Hauler PopUp isn't an option? That ATV looks a bit heavy.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

jnc likes this.
  4. Arlyn Aronson

It weights in at about 1000lbs. (not with pods as seen in the photo) We looked at "toy haulers" and not impressed with anything we've seen as of yet. Most campers come standard with options X, T, Y, F, D, Z, A plus L for good measure. None of which we want hence the list I gave in the 1st post. If we had the machine along, we'd back it out of the enclosed trailer for camping purposes.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Nice Big Boss.. recently acquired a couple Cats myself ...

6. Arlyn Aronson

The only 2 things we've not appreciated with our little quick-silver is breaking down when wet. Of course you then need to set it up again as soon as the sun shines. Plus getting things out or back into it, after its closed up.

7. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Now thats an ATV!

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

eh? can this ATV tow popup with similar threads?

9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

10. Arlyn Aronson

The problem of filling the trucks box with a slide-in camper, is all the space we normally use for the tools was just taken.

11. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

That’s ok, you’ll have extra room in the trailer then.

Orchid and WVhillbilly like this.
  12. Arlyn Aronson

As of today with a PUP, all trail tools, potable water jug, foods and a few other camp supplies go into the 6ft Tacoma box. This works reasonable well. Now with this silly ATV coming along, something will need to be changed but there is no perfect solution. Still looking for ideas!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I've seen where people combine the two. They buy a flat bed trailer long enough to hold the popup and the toys combined. An old friend of mine did that with his popup and off road truck. Sadly I lost touch with him. However I think tongue weight would be way too much for your vehicle if you did this.

14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I just put the ATV in the back of the truck and put the other gear in after. I guess it wont work in your case with those tracks being so long it would hang out the rear to much.

15. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Maybe go back to tent camping and get some nice camp cots. Since you're a minimalist camper, this is right up your alley.

Orchid likes this.
  16. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

17. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

I own both a Viking pop up trailer and a Four Wheel Camper, (FWC). Had the camper first, then the Viking came later. I used to have a side gig doing woodlot work for people, so understand the hauling vs camping delimna. For me, the camper and a standard 8ft long, 2 place ATV trailer worked. Put my quad and cart to the rear and saws, weed eater and such to the front. Reading your needs list, FWC makes shell models that either you or they can add to, to get you outfitted. If the packing wet thing is truly a drag, this solves it. The down side is they aren't typically as roomy inside as your pup. If you aren't impressed with toy haulers, and are handy, another option popular in my locale Is to kit out a standard utility box trailer. Had a guy attend our recent 1st aid/cpr class who kitted a 12ft one into a camper/gear closet/kayak hauler that was rather impressive. I suppose a 3rd option, as mentioned, is put the quad in the truck, though the trax setup would mean hauling with the tailgate down.

If you are unaware of them, two sites that might give you some ideas:
    http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/
    https://expeditionportal.com/

18. Arlyn Aronson

Here are some ATV dimensions for you guys; w/o pods overall its 9ft 8in long. With them its 11ft which is nearly double a Tacoma's bed 6ft length, nonetheless it wouldn't fit through the toppers door anyway. So if we got, lets say a 12ft ATV hauling type of flatbed trailer, we now have far to much gear to place inside our trucks topper. With the PUP we have now, the truck is pretty full of gear if we're doing trail work. Hummmmmm

19. Arlyn Aronson

Oh and we'll not used it with the pods. Those are definitely winter only items.. Griz in deep (DL).jpg

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

A few years back a member on here had his entire pup from the frame up attached to a 30ft tandem trailer frame, basically made a toy hauling pup..

jnc likes this.