New camper - need to replace all cushions

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Buzzard, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard New Member

As I've posted elsewhere on here, I brought my new-to-me popup home today. The camper is in great overall shape and was sheltered/garaged by the PO. Unfortunately, while in storage he had a mouse infestation that ruined all of the cloth and foam items. I got it for a nice price but need to replace all of the cushions. It's a Starcraft Spacemaster with slide out dinette, u-shaped couch and (I think) king and queen beds.

I know that foam is expensive and expect this to be a pricey endeavor. Any recommendations for the most cost-effective way to tackle this project? I plan to tackle it in stages, probably starting with the beds. Was thinking maybe 4" WalMart mattress toppers for the mattresses. For the dinette and couch, I guess I could hit JoAnn fabric and then learn to sew. :) Any other ideas would be welcome!

Thanks.

Jim

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We replaced all the foam cushions in our previous pup when we renovated it. One thing to realize is that foam density is important. In general, the foam I've found at JoAnne Fabrics has not been what we needed to prevent too much sinking when we sat on it. We went to an auto upholstery place, since the furniture ones I called did not have a size for the bed. However, if you're going the memory foam mattress route for the bed, calling furniture upholstery places may be fine for the seats. Do find the threads discussing memory foam. I found a really good deal on eBay for made in the US toppers for the new pup.
    We ended up putting a 1" memory foam on top of the bed, our hips needed that bit of cushion with the very dense foam. (We were limited to 1" on top of the 3" base, to close the roof.)
    Sewing covers can be easy or more complicated, there are various threads on others' projects. For the slip covers, I just pinned them under the cushion, after folding the fabric around the top and sides (that was all I had of that fabric, so I had to conserve).

3. Buzzard

Buzzard New Member

4. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Congrats on the NTU Pup!! Sorry about the mice [:(O]. Do an advanced search for memory foam or beds or mattresses. Unstable_Tripod is very knowledgeable and has written on the subject here in the portal often. FWIW, [for what it's worth] buy American made - there are chemicals in the Chinese stuff.

Short term cheap fix may be air mattresses on the bunk ends deflate for clearance. We tried that for several seasons before buying our newer pup. [2C]

5. Buzzard

Buzzard New Member

Thanks. I've actually been reading some of UT's posts tonight. Wealth of info.

I did read about the Chinese products giving off bad fumes, but can't tell where the Walmart stuff is made. I presume it is Chinese. I came across another thread that recommended these. I think these are American made, but can't say for sure. Are you familiar with these?

http://www.foamdistributing.com/LR_2/lux-r-foam-mattress.html

Lastly, most of the threads that I've found so far talk talk about adding a topper to an existing pup mattress but I haven't found any yet that specifically review a 4" topper as the only mattress. Is a 4" topper alone an adequate mattress?

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

No, you don't want memory foam as the only mattress. You'll "sink" through it and feel the hard board under it. You need a base of non-memory foam to "catch" you. Memory foam is dense but not firm. (Get at least 4-pound density BTW but 5-pound is better. ILD, which is firmness, should be about 12-14.) You need a regular foam under it that is firm but not dense.

Ideally, a memory foam bed system has twice as much regular foam under the memory foam as the thickness of the memory foam. For example, I have two 4" layers of regular foam (the lower one being more firm -- 35 ILD -- than the upper one -- 32 ILD) under the 4" of 5-pound memory foam in my bed at home. However, most PUPs can't accommodate enough thickness to sustain that ratio so you have to give up something somewhere. I currently have 2" of 5-pound memory foam (12 ILD) over 3" of firm regular foam (35 ILD) for my PUP bed system. I'd like one more inch of regular foam but I can't shut the roof on it -- I've tried.

I, along with a few others here, have had good luck with The Foam Factory. They used to offer custom-sized foam in various types, densities and firmness. After a quick review of their website it now looks like you may have to choose from a preset size and then trim it yourself, which is easy. Good foam, especially memory foam, is not cheap but you get what you pay for.

7. Buzzard

Buzzard New Member

Thanks, UT. I am not heart set on the memory foam. I realize this is a subjective question, but do you think that I could reasonably get by with something like the poly foam or hd36 regular foam from The Foam Factory? I've slept for years on the factory foam in our old Starcraft and those were some of my best nights of sleep. :) I ultimately have to replace the canvas as part of this project so I am trying to keep costs under control.

8. MiamiCamper

MiamiCamper New Member

Great site! Actually, looking under the "Seats and Cushions" tab, you can order the pre-cut pieces in several different "lines".

I'll be visiting this site when I replace mine. Thanks for the information!

9. Unstable_Tripod

It really is completely personal. Some folks would be very comfortable and others would hate it. If you liked the standard-issue mattresses in another trailer you might be happy with the HD36. I went to the memory foam bed system because I thought the mattresses in my Fleetwood Yuma were just slightly more uncomfortable than my cement driveway. When I traded for the TrailManor the bed system transferred over perfectly.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Thanks, MiamiCamper. I had forgotten that the custom-sized option was in that tab. Good to know it's still available.

11. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Slip covers don't need to be fancy at first, or even at all. one fitted sheet would do it for each bed. You could also use flat sheets, Which have finished edges on all four sides, to make pillow cases, all straight lines, covers for your seats. They'd be totally washable too, which real upholstery fabric is not. And if you get a poly cotton blend wouldn't need ironing after washing, just grab out of drier while warm and either fold or put back on cushions. Plus, since less expensive than upholstry fabric, you could change up the color scheme any time you want to.

12. kro

kro New Member

Im going through the same thing you are unfortunately the previous owner striped it before we bought the unit .ive replaced the canvas with bear creak canvas great investment for cheap only $950 delivered now lm on to the cushions and beds . Ive gotten quotes from local upholstery shops around $1200 with 4" foam and fabric they have in stalk . I have also found a website that will make custom ones for $862 before delivery its campermattress.com its page foam the original manufacture that made the beds and cushions for my 98 coleman westlake hope this helps ill let you know how it turns out.. Hope you do the same

13. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

What about salvage? Colaw's in Carthage, Missouri, has always done right by us. Worth a call...877.548.2125 or www.colawrvsalvage.com