New camper or .....

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by huntman, Sep 13, 2021.

1. huntman

huntman New Member

I have been looking for awhile for a nice used camper like somerset or starcraft with no luck. Im either to late or there to far off from me to go look at. Ive been three different times to go look at used campers two hrs away ( one way ) and to find out there trashed out. So my question is if you was to go buy a new camper what would it be and why, Viking/Rockwood or what?? Maybe just keep looking for a nice used camper? Thanks for any advise.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If I had plenty of money and thought I was short on time for doing what I wanted to do in life, I'd probably pay up and buy new. Otherwise, I would keep shopping.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If I wanted a highwall, it'd be a Rockwood (or twin Flagstaff) because Viking doesn't make them. Otherwise, Viking (or twin Clipper) all the way. No poles! Okay, I'd actually compare floorplans and specs and stuff. But the no poles thing is appealing even though poles aren't a big deal.

When I decided to get a popup I DID look at new ones first and they did not meet my expectations so I bought a (then) 10-year old one. It was prepandemic so campers were available.

However, I ordered a truck camper new because what I wanted was rare and the few I saw advertised used were too nasty to consider. That's more like what you're going through with your hunt now. I totally understand your problem!

4. FR228D

FR228D Active Member

I have to say that I agree with Apache above. In my opinion though its more about how particular you are going to be with what you want in the camper, how far you are willing to travel, how patient you are and how much you want to spend?

If you can afford new then go for it. No problems, warranty and you get exactly what you want.

If you can wait, want to save a buck and can be a little flexible then used it is.

ColoradoLizzy likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Normally I would say buy used let the bugs work out etc. However this is a bad time to buy campers and you are more likely to find new vrs used in this type of market. With that said the Covid campers are starting to consider offloading their campers but it might be awhile before you see something maybe next year. Biggest problem is a lot of used campers are selling for crazy amounts now as you found for junk. Unfortunately if you are buying new there are only two manufacturers making popups now, Rockwood (flagstaff) and Clipper (Viking). Best to go by the one that offers the floorplan you like the most. They are built about the same although as someone mentioned above, Clippers did away with the support poles and instead use cable.

6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Im into yr 3 on my ( new when purchased) clipper and the glide lock bed system mad it the winner over the others with all else being equal.
    I have not had any problems with mine.
    Quality on all the new stuff is pretty much the same...to put it best...its cheap.
    Once u get past and accept it....it comes down to features.

7. ColoradoLizzy

ColoradoLizzy Member Silver Supporting Member

We bought new because there wasn't much to be found in the used market..and we'd always been tent campers so we knew we had to learn new skills. It has worked out well for us..no way would we be comfortable in a tent anymore. Lots of celebrations and Christmas presents combined in our little camper, so worth it.

campfire Joe likes this.
  8. rob.mwpropane

rob.mwpropane Active Member

I bought used. I looked online at a lot of campers, mainly the floor plans. I found what would work for us and then zeroed in on it. I honestly didn't care who made it, they all seem to he made out of the same cheap crap.

I feel like there are still deals out there, you just have to constantly be searching. It's exciting and annoying and stressful all at the same time!

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. Allamakee County

Allamakee County Member

Yeah, it's already happening. My son in law just flipped his camper in about a week for a nearly new one that was originally somebody's COVID impulse purchase.

It's end of season so people are at the store-it-or-sell-it decision point, which means you may find one after all. And then of course YOU get to store it.

As for the long distances, have a very specific list of photos you need them to send you before you make the drive. If after seeing the photos you are 85% sure you want to buy, ask if they will take a deposit to hold it while you drive there. It could mean you lose the deposit if when you get there you find more problems than they told you about, but you should not have the problem of someone buying while you are on the road.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

This may not be what you want to hear, but wait another year if you can.. and if you have the ability to tow and store one, look for small hybrids or travel trailers...

I know there is a huge difference between the States and Canada with regards to traveling out of the Countries (the US is further ahead) but we are starting to see the trend starting here, of people selling off their covid bought vacations in favour of funding their future out of Country vacations.. only thing is they are selling at a very high price as people try to recover the money they spent to begin with.. In another year, these prices will drop as people realize that storing an unused trailer costs money and the longer it sits unused the more quickly the value decreases. I predict that in a year, it will be a buyers market..

Adam H likes this.
  11. ColoradoLizzy

We don't have loads of disposable income but we did add up how much we spent on visiting relatives, how much we didn't spend during 2020 - 2021 and knew we could spend that on our camper. ETA: not. Even retired yet.

And we will, hopefully, have many more years of enjoyment out of it since we love travelling when we can and camping. I never thought of this when I was younger, in our 60s hecken yes this is great.

That played a large part in our decision. We were spending this to visit anyway and now we had more options.
    YMMV

12. Slowhandmike

Slowhandmike New Member

I am selling my Aliner Ranger 10 1 years use, maybe 12 days. Everything is as new. Your profile doesn’t say where you are to thought I’d chime in. Slowhandmike

13. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I'd be hard pressed to drive 4 hours round trip without vetting the camper remotely somehow.

I'm fortunate to live in a metropolitan area so there are always several used popups available on the marketplaces. But I grew up in the boonies so I know how that can be a pain. I think what I'd try to do in that case is set up a time to drive to the nearest metro area, where I could go see several campers in one trip.

I personally wouldn't buy a new camper unless I was absolutely desperate. Depreciation on campers is brutal. But obviously a lot of folks do (including good folks here)

14. huntman

huntman New Member

Well the looking is over. I finally found what I have been looking for after all. One owner shop kept ( like new ) 2018 Somerset Evolution 3. They used it only 5 times. I can’t believe I drove as far as I did to get it. I live in E. Tx and drove to Tennessee. Round trip was 17 hr drive and 1110 miles in a day, crazy rt? Will be taking it out on a 5 day trip in 10 days.

15. huntman

huntman New Member

EEF5674B-5AC5-48A4-84A2-785358EDDFE7.png

16. ColoradoLizzy

Good luck and I hope you make many wonderful memories!

huntman likes this.
  17. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@huntman , first good luck to you. I just want to share my experience - whatever it is worth. Fortunately, we decided to get a camper about three years back - just before COVID situation - so, it is not comparable as COVID has made buying a camper different and difficult as many mentioned above. I looked online - Craiglist, Facebook marketplace, local RV places, etc., for a number of months. Most of what I liked was pretty far away - so, I had extensive communication with the sellers - asked a lot of questions and asked for lot of pictures, in addition to what they posted in the for sale advertisement. Many did not respond to my likings and I stayed away from them. However, there were few sellers who were happy to answer my questions and finally I picked up one from really far away - about 6.5 hrs one way - believe it or not. It fit perfectly with my budget and also what I wanted. I have been very happy - have been camping several times a year now. I also looked at new ones, but the prices were really out of range for me. Good luck again!

huntman likes this.
  18. FR228D

FR228D Active Member

Congrats, looks very nice. Be sure to do a "camp driveway" dry run before taking it out far away for a few days. That way if you realize something is broken or you wish you had something you aren't far from resources that can correct that.

You technically don't really have to camp. Just set it up and maybe eat a meal in it and do some dishes and lay on the bunks to test out as much as possible before your first trip out in it.

geo50000 and huntman like this.
  19. huntman

huntman New Member

I’ve had it set up inside my shop and been going over everything from front to back. Been tightening up some loose screws and bolts here and there. Fridge is working good along with the the a/c. The temp according to my gauge is reading 48 degrees, does that sound about rt?

20. FR228D

FR228D Active Member

The refrigerator will vary depending on temperature and airflow over the rear coils. I have seen mine anywhere from 32 to 59 before I put a cooling mod on it.