New Camper!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Evan Cove, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Evan Cove

Evan Cove New Member

Hello Everyone!

I am excited to get my first pop up tomorrow. It is in need of repair for sure! its a 94' Vanguard palomino. I cant find any information online regarding this unit. It appears to have originally been gutted. They left the low cabinets, tables and seats. A couple of questions,

1. Can I just make a galley out of wood and make cutouts for a stove and sink?

2. Where can I find mattresses for pop ups?

3. What are the things I need to look for right off the bat to fix first?

4.If the electric works in the unit, can I just wire in a water pump for the sink?

5.Are there any other things I should know before beginning to bring this thing back to life?

Thanks!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

First of all congratulations on your new to you popup. The very very first thing I would do is to check and or replace the barrings and get new tires. Surprisingly this is almost the #1 overlooked part of any camper. Camper tires are usually only good for 5-7 years despite how good the tread looks. You can read the date code on the tires to see the date they were manufactured to figure out how old they are. I would also check over the gas to ensure the prior owner capped the gas lines when they removed the inside stove etc.

As far as mattresses you can buy foam and cut it down to size, but I would do an empty tissue box test to verify how thick to get first.

Before you put in a new counter in, I would first get a few trips under your belt first. Many people, myself included much rather cook outside as cooking smells seems to stick on the canvas And it’s much easier to spread out outside then inside. If after a few trips you think an interior stove and sink are worth it you can add it in then.

RockyRoo likes this.
  3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Greetings! Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

From your questions, you sound like a pretty capable guy. Looks like on the right track. You want to check all the systems -- water, propane, electrical. I would also check the dates on the tires. If they're more than five or six years old, replace them regardless of what the tread looks like. Most trailer tires rot before they wear out.

Good luck and keep us posted. We like photos.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Evan Cove likes this.
  4. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

I would second jmkay1's comments about whether you need a sink/stove. Personally I liked the stove for cold/rain conditions. Our PUP didn't have a grey water tank or a water heater so the sink to us was pointless (use a bucket of soapy water instead). The space the very small sink + plumbing + water pump took up could have been much more useful as storage, or an small oven.

Oh and having had two trailer tires blow out on me last Saturday even though they were not even 4 years old (and were properly inflated). Replace the tires!

Evan Cove likes this.
  5. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

Check the tires & bearings, lights/ electrical, and gas lines. Make sure floor is solid and canvas is intact. I occasionally use inside stove (mostly to make coffee), but almost never use the sink. It's too small, so I use large bowls on picnic table outside to wash & rinse dishes. Whatever you do, keep it simple for now, and get out and use it. That will do a lot to help you figure out what your priorities are. Congratulations and good luck!

grandpa mikey likes this.
  6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

7. kristy obryan

kristy obryan Member

I know a lot of people say they don't use their sinks or stoves inside, but I for one and so thankful to have them inside if I need them. We camped in Yellowstone when the kids were little and it rained almost the entire time and was very windy! There is no way I would have been able to cook and clean up outside so I was so grateful for the sink and stove.

8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

re:

1. Can I just make a galley out of wood and make cutouts for a stove and sink?

YES - we did (see photo) - after we tossed the original portable galley. Make it on the light side - we even added 6" holes in the ends to further reduce weight - and make it easier to grab errant items that escaped from the drawers.

We since added a simple extension table to the left side.

BTW - the same cutout fitted our original Suburban brand stove and the new "Flame King" stove (since rejected and replaced by the repaired original Suburban, which is of better quality than the "Flame King").

Attached Files:

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Our main reason to cook inside is that its cold outside - usually in the mornings at 6 a.m. It helps that our camper is hard sided.

10. Anthony Hitchings

BTW - we tossed the sink, and use a collapsible rectangular wash bowl.