New converter issues

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by tom2001d, May 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tom2001d

tom2001d New Member

I installed the WFCO WF 8735 converter box in my 1996 coleman sun valley. I have lights if the power is connected to AC but they do not turn on if I am running off of the battery. Any ideas why the lights do not work off the battery? The battery is charged and I am getting 12 volts off the voltmeter.

2. Fless

Fless Active Member

@tom2001d,

The bottom fuse on the WFCO's DC panel is for protection from reversing the battery polarity; is it good?

Also, to which terminal or wire on the converter did you connect the positive wire from the battery?

Have you measured the DC voltage at that connection, without shore power connected?
    _

3. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

And the white battery lead is hooked to the negative terminal and black to the positive terminal

4. Fless

Fless Active Member

Wiring diagram:

[​IMG]

tom2001d likes this.
  5. tom2001d

tom2001d New Member

Thanks for all your replies. After reading your posts and looking at the operating manual in the fuses, I discovered I needed a fuse for the positive battery. It is fuse 6 on the wiring diagram from Fless. The converter only comes with a fuse for the reverse protection. I made the mistake of assuming the other fuse positions were for other circuits that I was not currently using. Again thank you for all your help. We are now ready to camp in Rocky Mountain Park beginning tomorrow.