New converter question

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by barrieb24, Jul 10, 2017.

1. barrieb24

barrieb24 The Road's My Home

Hi all, new poster but have checked out the site for last 2 years. I have an old 1988 Coleman Columbia that I'm restoring. I'm putting in a new converter (Parallex 6730). Shore power cord has a green ground wire that I'm pretty confident attaches to ground lug on converter. There is an old copper wire I assume is grounded to frame...does that too go into the lug with the green wire?

Thanks and sorry for any repeated topics here...found a lot of interesting takes on grounding issues on this and other forums!

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Page 3, #7 of the 6730 Installation Guidelines states, "Connect Line cord green "ground", and branch 120VAC load circuit grounds to the ground terminal bar." And #9 states, "Connect equipment ground to chassis at equipment ground bonding terminal only!" (The exclamation point is part of the quote.)

Check the old copper wire for continuity to the frame and, if good, connect to #9. Shore power cord ground and all 120VAC branch circuit grounds go to #7.

Attached Files:

barrieb24 likes this.
  3. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

I'm always amazed, @Boatnman how quickly you dig up the pertinent documents to queries! Seriously, are you a research librarian? Nice work.

4. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

LOL...no, not a research librarian, but my profession (which I am trying, but failing, to retire from) involves a fair amount of product research. I also don't sleep much, so I usually have a few late night hours on the computer entertaining myself. (Yeah, I'm envious of the people that say they don't get up until 9:00 when their camping, but I have seen some incredible sunrises.)

Thank you for you kind comments.

JBinNV likes this.
  5. barrieb24

barrieb24 The Road's My Home

Thanks!!