New Counter Tops for 1986 Coleman

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by carlr, Jan 26, 2014.

1. carlr

carlr New Member

I want to replace the counter tops in our 1986 Coleman Sequoia.
    I was thinking of taking the old ones to a local counter top
    Company and have them copy them and use Formica. Has anyone used corian?
    Or any other suggestions?
    Thanks

2. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

My camper has formica in it. The previous owner removed the sink and stove and made the counter bigger. Seems to be ok.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

There was a thread on Corian last year sometime.

Check out the weight of Corian for the size of counter you are contemplating. The pieces I've seen made into cutting boards are pretty heavy. If you have a flip over sink, that movement and total weight carrying capacity both figure into it.

In our previous pup, we ended up replacing the counter twice. The first time, we put Formica over 1/2" (IIRC) plywood, but the plywood ended up warping. The second time, we purchased one of the pre-fab counters, which had the standard (~4") back splash, and the iron on end pieces. It worked very well.

4. jdy2

jdy2 Member

I replaced the counters and table top with wood, stained and sealed. It look so much better than the ugly old gray formica that was there before (and was particleboard beneath, once it got wet it was ruined).

5. carlr

carlr New Member

I'm not too concerned about the weight factor as our pup has a swing level galley although not sure if the added weight would make any difference towing. We have a large enough tv. The counters to be replaced would be the galley which is taken up
    mostly by the sink and stove so really not much material there and the long counter approximately 4-5 ft long. I think I will stop by the counter top shop and do a bit of homework. I will update as we go. I do like the idea of a stained and sealed wood dinette table though. :)
    Thanks again for the help it's very much appreciated.