New curtains for the PopUp!

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by SuperRomanGoddess, Jun 6, 2012.

1. bizziemommie209

bizziemommie209 New Member

This is my very first post here :) I'm going to "attempt" to re-do the curtains in our PUP as soon as I find the perfect fabric. But here's the catch...I'M NOT A SEWER!!! Any tips/tricks? All the curtain clips are in tact and the current curtains are in good shape but I'm just not digging the color of them. I'll take any help I can get! Thank you!

2. Glamping Grandma

Glamping Grandma New Member

I would love to replace all the curtains but the open windows have priority.

I am missing the side window coverings for both beds.
    There is screen still in place but what ever was attached to the zippers surrounding these four windows is missing.

Sewing isn't a problem and I can easily add the clear vinyl layer but I can't figure out how to attach them to the windows.
    Should I try to use long strips of velcro all the way around the edge of the curtain and glue the other side of the velcro to the old zippers?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@GlampingGrandma
    In many pups, the screens in the bunk ends are only covered by tenting fabric, not vinyl.
    We haven't had much success with gluing Velcro.
    Do a search the for the speedy stitcher sewing awl, and you'll see how people have used it to make repairs when the tenting is in place (though it may be a two person job, one inside, the other outside, haven't used the awl, yet)
    My inclination to use Velcro with the remains of the old zipper would be to sew one side of the Velcro to light webbing or outdoor grosgrain ribbon, then to the edge of the old zipper. The sew the other half to the fabric for covers.

4. Glamping Grandma

Glamping Grandma New Member

@kitphantom
    Thanks for the advice.
    I am very reluctant to use glue and velcro too because of the pull it places on older fabrics and threads when separating it.
    However, the thought of trying to cram this old body into the back corners of the beds and then trying to sew while it that position makes me laugh so hard I cry. (Or something like that!)
    I have thought about a button and tab system but I want wind protection and you can't get that with tabs.

I have about another 4 weeks when I can work inside the PU in the early mornings so I will have to work fast if I want those windows covered by end of May.
    Thanks again for your quick response.

5. geoanna

geoanna New Member

DW had fun with denim. She did the cushion covers and curtains. This is last year's pic so you can see they were hung by binder clips. I just posted the velcro and curtain tab solution we came up with. :)

[​IMG]

6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Interesting..

I need to replace my curtains (Significantly damaged from rodents from Previous Owner)

But my bunk end curtains do not have the mesh at the top..

So what's it do? Provide ventilation?

Mine doesn't have a valance, but I see to be the opposite as everyone, as I'm considering putting one up. I think I would prefer it to the exposed bolts and wood.

How do the valances normally attach?

[​IMG]

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The mesh seems to provide ventilation, so if the curtain is closed a person in the bunk would have heat or or air circulation from the main part of the pup.

It seems many valences are hung from the same molding as the curtain. Our has a second groove above the one the curtain sliders are in, so that would be where the valence would be hung.
    I actually don't mind that the hardware shows (though on ours it isn't much), so was glad the Cobalt didn't have the valences. With our tight clearances, especially after adding the memory foam toppers, having extra, merely decorative, fabric to fold in as the pup is closed would just be more work.

8. bjmcginnis

bjmcginnis Member

Geoanna did she buy denim fabric like that or make them from strips of demin sewn togeather

9. geoanna

geoanna New Member

She salvaged denim from family jeans and resale/Goodwill. Cut into the needed pieces and then sewn together.

10. khuntkk

khuntkk New Member

Just started on mine this week. Clean and calming colors were my preference. So I looked for blues, ivories, white (beach colors). Actually a bird house I saw was my inspiration. I bought 2 packs of thermal backed curtains at ross for 19.99 each. I was able to do 6 panels for the pup with this. I used the old curtains as templates. I bought a king size sheet set for the contrast color to use for valences. I just sewed the valences on the curtains for less pieces to deal with and I wanted them a bit fuller and longer so I got to modify it making them myself. Next will be the slip covers for the cushions and then I will do curtains for the bed areas too.

11. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Planning to use up my fabric stash of old jeans for the dinette seats also - also pieced together randomly to help camouflage stains between laundering. Love denim's washability and durability. Looks great, geoanna + DW.

12. Adam Roby

Adam Roby New Member

I am slightly estrogen challenged, is it possible to make curtains using the iron on pant hem type stuff? I can't sew for the life of me, and I don't have a machine anyways. I wonder if a fabric store would provide sewing services?

My PUP is the old beige orange type color. The curtains in there now are pink, and ugly as all heck. I would like to replace them but don't want to spend any kind of real money, since the PUP only cost me $400 to start off with. Would darker colors make it hotter inside? Do they need to be sews or would the iron on stuff work?

13. needjava

needjava New Member

I feel your pain about sewing. A few posts back someone commented that they used the iron on stuff (stitch witchery) and flat sheets from Walmart. That's probably how I'll get it done too.

As far as colors...sorry I can't help there. I'm also color challenged.

14. sabrinasn

sabrinasn New Member

@TracySues I made valances like yours, straight and not ruffly. How do you attach yours? My old ones were stapled on.

Thanks
    Sabrina

15. sabrinasn

sabrinasn New Member

@bizziemommie209

I don't sew either. I used the heated hem web, I think its called witch stitchery or something like that. You put it between the fabric and steam heat it with your iron. It worked great. More time consuming than sewing but I loved it and I am going to use it on the curtains too when I make them. I used it on the valances.

Sabrina

16. sabrinasn

sabrinasn New Member

LOL, stitch witchery not witch stitchery.

any how it worked great. I am going to check out Ross for curtains like the previous post mentioned but I think the most economical way for curtains might be sheets.

my curtains in the PUP are awful. I don't think they are the originals, and they don't have the mesh at the top either.

17. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Beware of thin sheets for curtains! At night when you have lights on inside, your neighbors will be able to see EVERYTHING! [emoji15]

18. bropaul

bropaul New Member

[LOL] x2! Our first PUp's curtains were falling apart so I purchased some light blue ready made curtains, long ones so I could cut them in half and get 2 panels for the sale price of 1. While sitting by the fire one night, my DH went into the PUp and turned on the lights, I could see everything! From then on I changed clothes in the dark! For our current PUp I found drapes on clearance at JCP that were insulated, machine wash and dry, a good color match and were $8 per 84" long panel. Bought 5 panels and by carefully removing the stitching for the hems and top casings, each panel was over 100" or almost 3 yards per panel, enough for 7 window panels and the 4 privacy curtains. I never realized what a difference the insulated fabric would make, the white backing reflects the sun keeping it much cooler in the summer but they also retain the heat when needed. Well worth the expense and effort.

Diane

19. sabrinasn

sabrinasn New Member

oh wow, never thought of people seeing in from the outside with the thinner sheet material. Glad I haven't bought any yet.

I will look for drapes and cut them too. I was trying to do that but haven't had any luck with finding any that are affordable. I will start looking more next week after our camping trip so we will have them for the next trip.

Sabrina

20. Sussya

Sussya Member

I could not agree more! We close up the curtains during the day when the heat is bad, and it makes such a huge difference in the temperature inside the camper. I think those vinyl windows act like magnifying glasses and concentrate the heat right inside our PUP. [LOL]