New curtains for the PopUp!

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by SuperRomanGoddess, Jun 6, 2012.

1. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Sabrina, Penney's has sales all the time and I saw the clearance sale in an email notice that I get. I checked the colors online and went to our nearby store with the info. I was able to check the fabric for weight and laundry instructions but they didn't have the color I wanted in stock at the store. They gladly ordered them for me and I was able to pick them up a couple days later. The panels were 42" wide and the side seams are usually sewn first before the casing and hem are made, so by removing the stitches on the top and bottom a lot a usable fabric was added. I kept the side seams as they were and made simple 1" casings and hems. I usually wash and dry them at the end of the season, or whenever the ones by our sink/stove may get spotted with something. We've been using them for 6 years and they still look like new ... and we camp a lot. (Just be sure you get ones that machine wash and dry. [;)])

Diane

2. mittengirl1

mittengirl1 New Member

I've just started on new curtains for my pup and can't wait until they're finished. My DH thought I was crazy when I picked out my fabric at Menard's in the paint supply department! Yes, I am using drop cloths for my curtains. I bought two 9 x 12 drop cloths and ripped the seam out down the middle. I will be able to make both sets of privacy curtains for the bed ends and both sets for the front and back window and I only had to hem one side! I decided not to do the valance but I may add either some coordinating fabric for a pop of color or paint a design on them (acrylic paint with some paint medium added will keep it from cracking). I originally did not think I was going to be able to salvage my clips and re-attach them but so far so good. Once I test to see how "see through" they are I may add a white lining which should also help to block some heat.

3. sekmomof4

sekmomof4 New Member

I am thinking of using some drop cloth material as well, but for my cushions. but I like the idea of using them as curtains!

4. Adam Roby

Adam Roby New Member

Can you post some pictures of the drop-cloth curtains?
    I'd be interested to try the same...

5. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I'm wanting to replace my curtains, circa 1985, but want to maintain the thermal capability. When I make the final decision on the color of the cabinets I think I'll find am nice coordinating color and sew the material to the old curtains. Not my idea but one I read about. Also could just use the drop cloths and dye them the color I want so I could afford to cover the cushions as well. Thanks for kick starting my brain.

6. popeye304

popeye304 New Member

We just purchased our pop-up this past weekend... Diane, my wife, is already making curtains for it. She finished the first one today. She's making them with a sailor-like pattern for me... Navy anchors. We'll they aren't Navy anchors but their anchors! :)

Attached Files:

7. popeye304

popeye304 New Member

My DW is done... looks great!

[​IMG]

8. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Looks great!

9. Poppup

Poppup New Member

I've just started making my curtains - the first panels are up. I used the glide tape that I purchased from Amazon and Camper World. There were only 2 in stock at Camper World, but at least I knew I was getting the right size, so I ordered more from Amazon. I didn't reuse the old tape because it was so yellow and brittle that I was afraid it wouldn't hold up. I've sewn some black lace/netting to the back of the bunk end curtain. My idea is that I will add some velcro to the curtain panel and be able to pull up and back, leaving the lace hanging down. It will hopefully still provide a little privacy and allow air circulation.

Has anyone made curtains or some type of covering for the windows in the bunk ends? I think I can figure out how to make something for the back curtain because I can hang it off the support, but the side windows have me stumped. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

10. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I don't have an answer to your question, but it sounds like an interesting idea! I have never seen one with those curtains.

11. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

I like that blue and the pattern on your chosen fabric!

"Has anyone made curtains or some type of covering for the windows in the bunk ends?"
    That's a novel idea. We just zip up the canvas partway.

Presumably it's because you want full air circulation so your canvas is down, hence the zipper edges are exposed and usable. Just use 2-3 tiny binder clips to attach the fabric itself to the zipper (near the top of the window). A lightweight non-sheer fabric by itself should be enough for privacy, I'd think unless you're blasting a 60-watt bulb in there at night!!!! Small clips and light fabric just as wide as needed shouldn't damage the zipper. You could clip at points an inch or two below the top of the window to leave a small strip of screen clear to maintain some air flow. Sew a ribbon and/or a velcro wrap in the center onto this 'blind' at the top of it. When you want the light/air full open daytime, roll the fabric and tie with the ribbon - it will look okay.

Something like this (pic):

Attached Files:

12. Poppup

Poppup New Member

Ah! Binder clips! So many diverse uses! Thanks for the idea. And yes, my thought was to have better air flow for sleeping. My pup is older, no A/C. Which is ok, but I'd like to maximize any passing breeze that might come my way. I have plenty of fabric. Bought some I thought I might use for curtains, and then I found the fun blue/white combo. Thanks again for the tip! :)