NEW CURTINS FOR PUP

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by robynbanks, Apr 15, 2014.

1. robynbanks

robynbanks New Member

Im thinking on making new curtins for my 95 starship. Has anyone ever used those Eclipse black out curtins so it helps with the temp?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I just finished making new window curtains, and one set of bunk end curtains, using black-out fabric I found at Jo-Ann Fabrics. The black-out fabric is on the outside of the curtains, with a decorative fabric on the inside. The stuff I used has one side that is sort of rubbery, and the other feels like canvas. I bought the white, but it also was available in a cream color. I ended up sewing them so that the rubbery side was on the inside of the panels, to reduce abrasion.
    They were installed last week, and I can really feel the difference from the original curtains when the sun starts beating in the large galley-side window, which gets SW sun. The original ones helped a lot in cold and hot weather, so these should be an improvement. That said, in cold weather we use the Pop-up Gizmos bunk end liners, because even with the windows covered, there is still a lot of Sunbrella exposed. We notice the transfer of heat more in cold weather. With the BELs, good curtains, and a piece of fleece clipped over the door, we are comfortable into the teens (with throw rugs too, for heat retention).
    We don't use bunk end curtains on our main bunk, and the other bunk is usually storage while we're in camp. In cold weather, it is nice to close that off during the night, so we are heating a smaller area.
    In hot weather, the Sunbrella doesn't seem to turn the pup into a horrible hot house, and there is a noticeable difference in heat gain between the vinyl window area and Sunbrella. When we're in camp, we do open windows as much as possible.

In this picture, you can see how much light blocking the black-out adds to the decorative fabrics. The Arches one is quilt-weight cotton, and the bunk end one is oxford-cloth.

[​IMG]new curtains april 2014 by kitphantom, on Flickr

3. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

It does make a difference. Since out curtains are still in great shape, we won't be changing any, so I am planning to cut another piece of Reflectix that goes across the whole side between door and bunk end. Then can move it to the other side of PUP when the sun has shifted. Some cut the Reflectix to the screen size, but I want the whole side protected.