New dinette upolstery?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Bullfrog Bheer, Aug 25, 2013.

1. jdy2

jdy2 Member

My slipcovered cushions, made with Ikea bedspreads bought on clearance. I think I spent less than $60 total and make the slipcovers in an afternoon. There's more info about them here ... http://www.becauseimme.net/2013/07/camper-update.html

(Yes, they're bright and cheery!)

[​IMG]

2. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Jody, it looks so nice and bright! Did you paint your cabinets yourself?

3. jdy2

jdy2 Member

Colleen, I did paint them myself following instructions I found online for doing household cabinets. It worked fairly well, but make sure you use a good primer - zinsser was by far the best of the two I used. I used a chemical to strip/sand the original wood to give it a little more grit/rough surface to work with - if I were to do it again I'd just rub regular sandpaper on everything.

4. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

The cushions look great! I also like the wood floors. Did u do that yourself also? Did u lift all the cabneits or just cut to them? I would like ti do my floor also! The pup looks terrific

5. jdy2

jdy2 Member

Thanks. The floors are peel and stick planks from Lowe's, I just cut them (with kitchen scissors) to fit.

6. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

My cabinets have that fake plywood contact paper junk on them and the edges are loose. Tried everything to get it to stick, without success. I think they are just particle board. I'd love to paint them a nice soft white!

Good 'ol ingenuity---kitchen scissors! Floors look great, really a nice touch. It makes it warm and inviting.

7. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Thanks for the tip on Zinsser primer. I have to repaint my PUP cabinets this year because I did not prime first - I tried a paint & primer in one for multi-surfaces. Fail. [:(].
    But regarding the peeling fake vinyl wood, I used toothpicks and kabob skewers to stuff wood glue or e6000 glue under the bubbled peeling areas. Then we clamped over the glued area with cheap clips from the dollar store (the kind with rubber tips that you use to close chip & snack bags). The glue held very well. Where the vinyl had shrunk back from the mitered corners on the cabinet doors, we filled in with wood putty and that helped to further seal the loose wood-grain vinyl.

8. Sdickson501

Sdickson501 New Member

did you just trim out the existing curtains? I may do that, add color without so much cost

sent from my samsung galaxy s3 using tapatalk

9. Sdickson501

Sdickson501 New Member

and I think we have the same pup :)

sent from my samsung galaxy s3 using tapatalk

10. jdy2

jdy2 Member

I took out the existing curtains and reused the whitish plastic tabs at the top on the new curtains. I had no problem at all sewing through them, and the entire project was super easy. I used light blocking curtains on the ends, both to give a little privacy and to block heat during the summer days. I used regular white cotton, which I buy by the bolt (I sew a lot), so it was super reasonable cost-wise.

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I am assuming that you just stuck them over the existing linoleum floor? did they sick well? correct me if I am wrong