New England CGs with dog daycare or nearby

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Kaiyadaisy, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Kaiyadaisy

Kaiyadaisy New Member

I am looking for recommendations for New England campgrounds that either have dog kennels on site or a doggie daycare close by. I want to bring my dog along on my camping trips, but I also read a lot of policies that say you can not leave your dog behind if you leave the campground. I would like to be able to take a day trip once in a while but want my fur baby with me at the campground, which would be the majority of the time.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sorry I can't help you with campground suggestions. It may be easier to do a search on doggy daycare and then look for near by campgrounds. I have only seen one campground that allowed doggie walking service. But that was in NC. One of my dogs is very particular around strangers and gets very withdrawn and depressed if left with just anyone. So I usually stick with friends or family watching my pups or I alter my camping and sight seeing for more dog friendly options. As much as I love my fur babies sadly they are not welcome everywhere and too many campgrounds have pet limitations. Luckily most of my camping trips involve hiking and other outdoorsy things so my fur kids are there, but if I know I want to sightsee or go to the beach I just leave them at home or rather my parents.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We have no problem here in Fla. State Parks, we leave ours in the PUP in a kennel and leave air on, and a radio or TV going and have never had any problem. We take our 3 on every camping trip and they do love camping.

4. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

This may help but not sure. There is a fantastic doggy daycare in Portland, ME called Camp BowWow. We took our beloved Golden Retriever, Skylar, there for daycare nearly every work day before she passed and that was her home when we were away for extended vacations. For $36 a day boarding fee, she got to play all day and swim in dogbone shaped swimming pools then had her own room with a futon doggy bed and a plasma tv that played Animal Planet for the night. For $60, she could spend the entire day playing with her friends and get a full grooming service. They have doggy cams that allow you to check in on your dog at anytime during the day. They require that your dog have their kennel cough vaccination so be prepared to provide proof of rabies and kennel cough. Portland is within 15 minutes of many coastal campgrounds and 30 minutes of many Sebago Lake area campgrounds. We haven't been able to get a new puppy yet because our hearts are still broken over losing her but when we are ready, our new puppy will go there as well.

http://www.campbowwow.com/us/me/portland/about-us

5. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I believe Normandy Farms in Foxboro Ma has kennel services, I know they will walk your dog for you while you are gone. It's also a beautiful, clean place!

6. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I have to share my experience , I see a lot of dogs left in the camper. We leave our dog in there if its not crazy hot just incase of a power cut. He is crate trained and we leave him in there for a few hours when we go day tripping. Even at home he stays in the crate when we go out . We leave the ac and radio on. He whines for a minute till he hears the truck go. then I have sat outside and heard not a peep. Again. when its too hot we do not do this. also he is 11 lbs and small . After a long walk or 2 he just wants to snooze or rest. He goes to bed at 8.00 pm wish my kids.

The worst I saw was when 2 ladies left 2 really big dogs in Salisbury beech. those things were barking all evening . The ranger had to call them. Once they came back they were yelling at the dogs. I see a lot of shock collars on bigger dogs. Again things we do not do. I do not believe in shock collars.

I see you are new to camping and its a learning process. Now we know our dog is good for a 4 hrs or so after say 2 - 3 long walks in the morning.

satz

7. Garywt

Garywt New Member

It can be an issue for sure, many campgrounds welcome dogd but do not want them left behind if you go anywhere. Woodstock KOA as kennels on site that you can use. The campground is in a great part of NH with plenty to do in the area.

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

When we wanted to do some shopping and go to a movie in a nearby town, we checked the Yellow Pages and Google. We found a place that would take the dog for the late afternoon/evening. It wasn't the perfect solution but it worked out okay.

Just be sure to search for "[insert town name] [doggie daycare provider name] reviews" as well. No worries, if they're shady or sketchy and they've been doing it for a while, someone will have provided some feedback on Yelp or Facebook.

9. coopj43

coopj43 New Member

Hi,

there is a great dog daycare in Webster/Dudley MA, its right near the highway 395. so its easy to get to, and the prices are awesome

http://www.northeastk9academy.com/pricing.html

if camping nearby, I would recommend this place

Thanks

10. nhsummitmommy

nhsummitmommy New Member

late to the game but

The KOA in Woodstock NH has Kennels onsite for you to rent during the day. I think they are like $3/hour. They make you do an hour stress test before leaving your dog ( i am not sure if they charge for that hour or not)

Also Storyland in Glen NH offers FREE kennels to visitors. They aren't anything special, bring a blanket for fido. They have water bowls available and you can check in on your dog whenever, take him for walks and go back in. They have over 20 kennels of different sizes and never do they fill up. Its as easy as stopping in at the gift shop-they have a bell system someone meets you at the door asks if you want sm med or lg and they give you the combination for the lock and assign you a kennel number.