New England wildlife vs popup.

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by nt40lanman, Aug 15, 2020.

1. nt40lanman

nt40lanman Member

I have a little Apache canvas tent camper and I'd like to camp up in NH and Maine in campgrounds and occasionally a woodsy 20 acre lot a friend owns.

What are the potential risks/problems? Bears? Mountain lions? Dragons? And what can I do to reduce the risks or is it too risky? It's possible I'm too paranoid about being eaten by wildlife.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

you are too paranoid. Some folks carry a gun to ease their fears, or bear spray. We sometimes sleep out on the ground under the stars, to watch meteors. The wildlife don’t care about you (only your food)

Randy Miller, kcsa75, BillyMc and 2 others like this.
  3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Keep a clean camp and you’ll be fine.

4. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

I have a few dozen trips up to the White's and the North Maine Woods, never an issue with bears or cats. Bull Moose on the other hand can be unpredictable during the rut and quite dangerous.. we had a Bull charge at us in camp once.

The "Whatwasdat" moments are part of the learning curve.. not all turn out to be dragon's however.

Randy Miller, kcsa75 and gladecreekwy like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

The key is to keep a clean site. Cook outside and immediately clean up. Trash gets thrown away immediately or put in the locked vehicle or bear box if available. Store all food in your vehicle or bear box. They key is to keep anything that has a smell outside your sleeping area. I had no problem sleeping in a tent, in ME and NH. It was a tad scary listening to the coyotes howl when I went to the white mountains, but but had no problems and they never ventured closer. Coons were a bigger problem but if they can’t find food they usually venture on. Only saw a bear once get near my camp in NY due to a stupid neighbor who left his trash out. Some other neighbors chased it away with loud noises and removed the trash.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

FYI - to a newbie a hedgog can sound intimidating. A male grouse calling out to the ladies can sound like a bear huffing. Everything is worse on a dark and stormy night :)

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Was doing that once when I backpacked. Very quiet cool night by the campfire. When right over my head a screech owl let out a screech that would wake the dead. My blood turned cold.

Randy Miller, Amybejo and Tom Jordan like this.
  8. rover rob

rover rob Member

i have camped all over ME and NH in ground tents and popups and never had a issue. like the others said keep a clean sight and food away and you wont have a issue. sure bears come around ( seen their prints in the am ) but if no food they move on. oh BTW I now camp in a 67 apache eagle .

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Squirrels are the biggest pest when outdoors! We've had them actually pounce on the picnic table, grab food, and blast up a tree while we're sitting at the table. They can be almost as bad as seagulls, but I try to stay away from the coast so gulls aren't a big problem for me. Raccoons will get into anything left unattended regardless of containing food or not. If you take a pet into predator territory (especially coyote and big cats) keep them close. Bears, don't leave food out and keep coolers out of site.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    southern gal likes this.
  10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Don't sleep with a center cut porkchop tied around your neck[EEK]

11. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Dragons tend to be more active in the summer. Don't keep any gold or valuables out in the open. If your smoke alarm goes off in the middle of the night, RUN. The newer models have circuits that can detect the heat a dragon gives off. IF you do come across one in the wild, make sure you have someone who is a slow runner with you. You don't have to be faster than then dragon - only faster than someone else :)

12. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Would I be safe sleeping with all my Cheeto crumbs on my shirt ??

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We camp in the White mountains and see bears almost every trip. They like campgrounds. They walk through looking for coolers and easy food.

14. SamuraiMarine

SamuraiMarine Member

Something similar happened to my son and I. Went tent camping in Balch Park here in Cali. Son wanted to stay up late and enjoy the night... he was seven at the time. We are sitting out there, fire is almost out, have a little lantern going. I was telling him a "joke campfire story" about 'The Viper"... You know, the one that builds up, and up, then ends with the line, "I am the Viper... I am here to Vipe your Vindows."

Anyway... Almost at the climax of the story this HUGE owl flies in and lands on the park table about fifteen feet from us. Scares the $#17 out of both of us. It just sits there, watching us, then lets out this gawd awful hiss-hoot and flies away. THAT... was our wildlife experience. Son still talks about it.

rsdata, tgau16, Randy Miller and 2 others like this.
  15. SamuraiMarine

SamuraiMarine Member

Might be a good way to get rid of bothersome camping neighbors. Sneak over and leave a few pieces of meat around their campsite whilst they sleep. :)

tgau16 likes this.
  16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I hope you are kidding.

17. SamuraiMarine

SamuraiMarine Member

Of course I am. Though I have been around some campers that, were I a bad person, I would have seriously considered doing this to. But yes... I was kidding.

18. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Just open a can of sardines and toss em under their rig. Those pesky Raccoons can make quite the commotion.

SamuraiMarine likes this.
  19. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

I think some wildlife finds us entertaining. We were laying on the ground watching meteors this summer when a huge owl flew about 3 ft directly above us. It definitely scared us in the moment but also filled us with awe. My partner was a little too spooked to stay out. After she went in, three more owls flew over me within a second of each other. I think Mama went back to her babies and said, "Hey kids. Let me show you how to have some fun with these humans!"

20. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

We camp out west. Some campgrounds ban campers that don't have hard sides up to 10 ft above ground level to ensure bears can't get in and be rewarded by human goodies.

grandpa mikey likes this.