New family here, looking for our first PUP

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Coffeecow, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Coffeecow

Coffeecow New Member

Hi everyone!

We are a family of 4, 2 children ages 6 and 4. We live in lovely Colorado (a bit South of the Springs). We love to go camping (tent) and are looking to upgrade to a pop up camper. I have been trying to locate some in our area, and have run across a few that I like. But... I looked up the towing capacity of our 2011 Jeep Patriot (2.4l with towing package) and the capacity to tow is 2000 Lbs with a 300 lb hitch weight. That severely limits us in what we can get... Any suggestions?

We just got back from a nice little trip to Dinosaur National Monument (2 nights) and Yellowstone (4 nights) We had a blast! I wish we had a pup up instead of our little 7x9 tent though.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Welcome from the great Pacific Northwest.

3. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I'm guessing that living where you do that you probably don't need an air conditioner, but probably would need a furnace. One of my brothers lives up towards Denver and has a popup. They usually head up in the mountains and setup wherever they like. No campground or hookups, just displaced dry camping.

With a 2000lb tow limit, you need to look at lightweight popups. Look at the gross weight, not the dry weight.

Something like a quicksilver maybe?

Oh and try not to make the mistake I did. I had a '06 Wrangler 2 door. It had a 2000lb tow limit, owing to the short wheelbase and narrow body. What did I do? Bought a Coleman that I couldn't legally tow. Luckily I never had any problems, but I traded it in on a '07 4Runner with a 5500lb tow limit.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

:) Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Happy and safe camping. Glad you stopped by PopUpPortal. [CP]

5. Coffeecow

Coffeecow New Member

@ mnebinger
    We just got back from Dinosaur National Monument. It was 100 degrees+ out there. But then again, we went to Yellowstone after that, and the evenings were quite cool =) We can do without heat or A/C though. but a fan would be nice on these hot summer nights.

Most of the places we go involve going through the mountains (seeing as how we live at a little less than 6000 Feet) We generally camp in the summer, we take several overnight trips to the mountains to go gold mining, and one big trip for vacation.

I'm a bit leery of getting an 8' pup, It is about all our little Jeep can carry (I think) but I'm scared of how fast the kids will outgrow it. and as an added bonus (I've been lurking and looking for a while now) About the smallest pup I have seen on CL or at any of the dealers is a 10 footer.
    There is a clean looking '99 Coleman Cheyenne for sale near us for $3,900, but I don't think our Jeep Patriot can haul it over the mountains =/

6. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I have twin 3 year old girls. Getting a camper with a slide out dinette has been a god send. They each have their own bed at night now. They used to toss and turn and wake each other up. It sucked. Now they both sleep through the night. Bed time around 8pm, and they wake up around 7am.

They don't make them anymore, but I can't recommend our Camplite 10UD enough. Its light weight, our Odyssey has no issues with it, and the slide out is so wonderful.

7. Heady

Heady Active Member

Welcome to the portal and good luck on your search!

8. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Welcome to the portal from the show me state. Good luck in your search.

9. sswon1

sswon1 New Member

Welcome from west central Illinois!

10. hawkedshad

hawkedshad Member

We have a 2007 Patriot. We just came back from our first trip this year and the first time towing with the Patriot. She handled the 400 mile round trip well but we are at a much lower elevation here than you. The biggest hill was crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge. I could feel it back there with every bump and pot hole. She has no brakes so I made sure to leave plenty of distance just in case.

The pup is a 1990 Coleman Columbia with a dry weight of 980 lbs and hitch weight of 90 lbs. This is a very basic model. We do tend to bring more than we need. I have never weighed it after loading but guessing it to be no more than 1200 lbs. There is not much storage room so overloading is possible but you really need to cram it in. We bought it new when DS was 4 and DW was 16 months. As they got older it did tend to get a bit cramped but we coped.

Now that we are empty nesters, it is perfect for us. We each take an end.

Here is an interior view of her...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This weekend at Elk Neck State Park, Maryland...

[​IMG]

11. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

Hello and welcome from South Central Kentucky. Good luck on your quest.

[PU] [PUT]
    BEAR

12. Coffeecow

Coffeecow New Member

That Columbia looks very nice =) You have taken very good care of her.

I found an old Coachmen on CL that looks like an 8 footer, but I can't make out the model. I e-mailed the seller for more information. The ad is here http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/4553850078.html

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

14. Coffeecow

Coffeecow New Member

@ Snow
    Thanks for that, I thought it was about 1000 lbs,
    here's my dilemma. My Jeep has a 2000 lb tow limit, but we go over the mountains to camp, sometimes hitting 9,000 feet in elevation. I want to be safe here, and don't want to put too much of a strain on anything. If we got an 8' pup, with an unloaded weight of ~1000 lbs, and loaded say ~300 lbs of gear in her,, that would put the weight at ~1,300 lbs... Now add in a nice 6%-7% grade in the mountains, will I have issues pulling up that? or coming down?

That coachman looks pretty clean, I would really like to have an older Coleman though, like a Taos.

15. hawkedshad

hawkedshad Member

Yes Snow you are absolutely correct. I take as little as possible with us. The Patriot has a max tow rating of 2000 lbs. I don't think the Jeep could realistically handle more than 1400 lbs of trailer weight (loaded) and a family of four and all the gear. Stopping all that weight is an issue also as my model pup has no brakes. You really need to be extra defensive and leave double the normal stopping distance

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Without me Googling it, I'll assume for now that the 2000lb towing weight is with only the driver in the vehicle ??? if so, by the time you add the rest of the family, full tank of gas (sometimes this is or isn't factored into the tow rating) plus the trailer (Even one at the 1200lb mark ready to go) and food and "stuff" you are close to that 2000lb limit ... Best thing you could do, is to add brakes specially if your towing through mountains ..

17. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

As others have stated, best to stay far below the max tow capacity your vehicle might have. Plus adding brakes is not possible on many lighter axles and not recommended anyway.. Do note, when something your towing weight get close to the towing machines weight, handling gets bad! Been there, done that. [:(] I know you asked about used trailers but if light weight used popup is not available, you might wish to consider one of these. We have one [:D]

http://www.livinlite.com/qs-tentcampers.php

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never heard that before, I know a few people who have added brakes to lighter weight pups...

19. Phranc

Phranc New Member

It depends on whether the axle has the backing plate installed on it. I've seen a video that suggested welding backing plates on if they weren't installed. I can't speak to the advisability of doing that. Only an RV service center or a spring and axle shop could advise you on that part.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ah, well if that is all .. then Yes in theory brakes could still be added..