New Ford maverick vs Honda Ridgeline

Eville Edna

Mar 22, 2019
Vancouver, BC
I have a 2014 Ridgeline and pull a Fleetwood E1. Reliability is second to none, we have never had any issues with this vehicle (touch wood). The trailer is about 3000lbs all in (I never carry water) and we can definitely feel it on loooong hills, that said, we took it to Yellowstone from BC in 2019 and it never skipped a beat.

Sherronlee

Apr 10, 2020
Northern BC
I’ve been researching the Honda Ridgeline for awhile and had settled on it for our next vehicle. My spouse just sent me info on the new Ford Maverick and wondering if anyone else has looked into these? Or anyone who has a Ridgeline that wants to pipe in? We’re moving to the city so the Maverick appeals in some ways with 40mpg. Thoughts? Seems like 4000lb towing would be fine since right now we pull with our Hyundai Santa Fe that can do 3500. And it’s fine, but I definitely feel it pulling. So I was looking forward to a 5000 lb towing capacity.

My husband bought a 2006 Ridgeline in 2008. I argued that we not need a truck, we were find with our Honda Odyssey. I really thought it was a macho guy thing. Poor guy, I stole it from him about 2 months after he bought it. lol. I love (his) my Ridgeline! It drives really nicely ~ pulls the trailer like there is nothing there and is so comfortable! I mainly stole it because I love that the backseats fold up, which makes it so much easier to take my large dogs anywhere. I love that there is the hidden storage in the back, under the bed. And it holds so very much stuff! I also love that the tailgate can either be opened downwards (like all trucks) or swung open to the side, which makes reaching into the bed so much easier. I didn't love the cost of a canopy because with the angle at the back of the cab, there is only one company that makes them and they are super expensive compared to regular ones. I also don't like that you cannot just remove the canopy any time you need to and easily put it back. Because of that angle on the back of the cab, the canopy has to be sealed to the cab, so we just leave it on all the time. Not really a big deal as we have a utility trailer to use if we need to. But the newer Ridgeline is no longer angled on the back of the cab, so that issue has been eliminated. All in all ~ I don't want to every own a different vehicle.

KeizerDuck

Jul 22, 2020
We tow a Chalet Arrowhead that weighs about 2,100 loaded. We bought it last year and towed it with the 2003 Dodge Dakota that I bought new long ago. The Dakota had a 280 hp 4.7 liter engine. It did just fine except squatted a bit more than I liked. In April after much thought I bought a 2021 Ridgeline. For us it is the perfect truck. It has awd and a 4 wheel independent suspension it rides really; really nice. I like the power train which is Honda’s proven 3.5 liter V6 non turbo. It isn’t uncommon for these trucks to go 200,000 miles and still be running strong. The in-bed trunk will hold 6-8 bundles of wood like you by at the local store. The storage in the back seat has a lot of room when you fold up the seats. There is no discernible squat with my 310 lb hitch weight. On our first camping trip, on mostly flat roads, we got 17 mpg. When not towing the truck consistently gets right at 27 mpg on the highway.

The ability to open the tailgate sideways means not having to reach across the tailgate to load and unload. I have zero regrets about our choice. I believe the Maverick will have a CVT (edit) transmission which would give me some pause.

Last edited:

Sherronlee

Apr 10, 2020
Northern BC
We tow a Chalet Arrowhead that weighs about 2,100 loaded. We bought it last year and towed it with the 2003 Dodge Dakota that I bought new long ago. The Dakota had a 280 hp 4.7 liter engine. It did just fine except squatted a bit more than I liked. In April after much thought I bought a 2021 Ridgeline. For us it is the perfect truck. It had awd and a 4 wheel independent suspension it rides really; really nice. I like the power train which is Honda’s proven 3.5 liter V6 non turbo. It isn’t uncommon for these trucks to go 200,000 miles and still be running strong. The in bed trunk will hold 6-8 bundles of wood like you by at the local store. The storage in the back seat has a lot of room when you fold up the seats. Their is no discernible squat with my 310 lb hitch weight. On our first camping trip, on mostly flat roads, we got 17 mpg. When not towing the truck consistently get right at 27 mpg on the highway.

The ability too open the tailgate sideways means not having to reach across the tailgate to load and unload. I have zero regrets about our choice. I believe the Maverick will have a Crv transmission which would give me some pause.

Isn't CRV a Honda? Why would a Ford Maverick have a Honda transmission? We have a 2006 Ridgeling ~ just passed 333,000 km and still loving it!

Rusty2192

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2014
Kentucky
Only the hybrid Maverick has the CVT.
And even it isn’t the dreaded CVTs of old. It’s a power split device that uses planetary gears to split the power between the engine and electric motors and vary the gear ratio like a transmission. No belts or chains to slip and burn up like on CVTs from Nissan, Subaru, or even some earlier non-hybrid Fords. If anyone wants to nerd out just watch a video or two on YouTube for how Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive from the Prius works, which is the same type of “eCVT” as the Maverick hybrid will have.

The EcoBoost Maverick will have an 8-speed traditional automatic.

KeizerDuck

Jul 22, 2020
Isn't CRV a Honda? Why would a Ford Maverick have a Honda transmission? We have a 2006 Ridgeling ~ just passed 333,000 km and still loving it!
Good catch! I must have have Honda on the mind. I meant CVT, Continuously Variable Transmission.

Rocket Don

Jul 5, 2019
North Carolina, US
We looked at the Ridgeline last year and I like it a lot. The only thing that put me off are reports that you cannot count on the bed staying dry, even if you have a cap or a tanneau cover. As I understand it, the box design allows water entry that is darn near impossible to stop. This is just what I read online, so something you might want to check out if it is important to you.

Don

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
Honda and Ford use soy base wiring in their cars and trucks. The varmints like to eat the wires. Something to consider if you live in a wooded area.

bhom920

Nov 6, 2020
I have a 2021 ridgeline. You should not be comparing the ridgeline and the maverick as they are two different class trucks (midsized vs compact)... yes they are both unibody, but thats about it

196757974-10101138858570640-9010219234251408980-n.jpg

bhom920

Nov 6, 2020
We looked at the Ridgeline last year and I like it a lot. The only thing that put me off are reports that you cannot count on the bed staying dry, even if you have a cap or a tanneau cover. As I understand it, the box design allows water entry that is darn near impossible to stop. This is just what I read online, so something you might want to check out if it is important to you.

Don

The trunk will stay dry. You are correct about the bed. I have a softcover over mine and small amounts of water get in.

Latest posts