new ford ranger in the works

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Arlyn Aronson, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Folks, As stated in the different thread found here, we discovered our 2017 Tacoma very short on ponies. Its the 4 banger version and after we got it, we subsequently got two more trailers which were much larger. Who knew! The Taco has got other problems but I'll not get into them here. So we've been shopping for a 2019 Ranger super cab (slightly longer cab for extra space behind da seat) which has 100 more HP than our lowly Taco has. We test drove one many months ago and really liked it.. We might be doing this soon since Ford is starting to discount, the 2019 models. Stay tuned!

Rusty2192 and 1380ken like this.
  2. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Why a Ford Ranger? Not known as a muscular vehicle. Pretty much a pickup bed on a car frame. But the 150, now there's a machine...

Raycfe and xxxapache like this.
  3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Why a 150? My 350 can tow almost any popup currently in production!

Seriously though, I'm very happy the Rangers are back. Often, this is the exact correct size truck.

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Not many cars have an 1800 lb payload and can tow 7500 lbs.

Kevindust and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I am glad that Ford brought the Ranger back into production they were really good trucks. I like my 150 with the large V8, it pulls anything I want to pull and with the extended cab lots of room for storage. Good Luck and Happy Camping

6. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

You've offered to meet up with me next time I'm in the U.P., which is probably good enough for me to hook you up with an X-Plan. PM me with real name, address, and last four if you're interested. Seriously interested, though, as I only get four of these per year.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Arlyn, '19 Ranger supercab is rare here in N TX. I looked and looked (for one setup like I wanted) to trade in the 07 colorado. They have loads of 4 cylc 4 door models [:(O]
    Ended up with a certified '15 Ford XLT supercab 150, its too damn big! Waiting on the new bronco.[:D]

Raycfe likes this.
  8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I had a (big) Bronco. So luxuriously wide, so short. I miss it every time I have to park or drive over a curb.

9. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Lots of interest here on how the Ranger pulls your camper. Wife bought a Ecoboost Escape at the end of April and have been impressed with the way it drives. Curious about how the Ranger tows. Ford has done a lot with the Ecoboost system.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Before you purchase a Ranger. The oil filter is behind a panel behind the LF wheel

11. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

My jeep has it on top of the engine between the heads!

12. Arlyn Aronson

We are concerned about its towing ponies as well. In fact, we plan to hook it up and test drive it with the camper. [?:~{]

13. Arlyn Aronson

Same as you, I hate driving something around town that seems so big, its like steering a lake freighter. We also use the box, and many of these full sized truck box are so stink'n high off the ground, it takes climbing gear to get in/out of them. If a smaller, lower truck will do the towing job, that's what we will get. We won't get a vehicle that's not 4wd , ya it snows here....

Kevindust likes this.
  14. Kampus

Kampus Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I had a Ranger back in 2000, and I am sure they changed significantly since then, but it was the worst vehicle I ever owned and has completely turned me off to Fords. The new Ranger is nice looking though.

Mine was a 96, had 50k on it when I bought it used from a friend of a family member. I had it a week and both front rotors started to seize up....not a huge deal, it was a used truck and I know it sat for several months before I bought it since the original owner passed away. At 2 months, the muffler fell off. 4 months, it started leaking antifreeze, a bad freeze plug on the engine, (transmission had to be dropped to find that). After 6 months, after giving it some pedal to merge on the highway or climb a hill, it would lose all power as soon as you backed off the pedal, you would have to coast to the side of the road and wait until it decided it was time to move on. It was in and out of the garage for a month, no one could figure out what was wrong with it. I finally gave it to my uncle, a mechanic, and told him to keep it until he could figure out what was wrong with it. He drove it daily for a month and finally found it was a bad egr valve sensor holding the valve open creating a vacuum leak....even the ford dealer couldn't figure it out. I had it back two more months and it was totaled in a hit and run....good riddance.

As for the F150s with the ecoboost. I know someone that tows a pup with one...he is on his 3rd turbo...all under warranty.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I believe that 1800 number is the max payload a Ranger can have and it is a 4 x 2 model....OP, be sure to look at the door sticker on the one you are considering.

16. Arlyn Aronson

We test drove a ranger late today and towed our camper around the countryside, including highway speeds and going up steep hills. She passed. Even had good pickup while already going over 65.[RTM]

After we got back, we then test drove a f-150 without a camper. Was very nice but not really our thing. To tall and big, My "last muscle car" was many years ago, sometime around 1985.

P1070374.jpg P1070376.jpg P1070377.jpg P1070379.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Kevindust, jnc and Rusty2192 like this.
  17. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Nice, how heavy is your trailer? I don't believe tow capacity at all. My Tacoma is rated for 6400lb.
    There is no way I would tow anything heavier than my 3100lb travel trailer here at the Southern edge of the Rockies. Eighteen wheelers pass me on long grades.

18. Arlyn Aronson

I'm not sure, maybe 1800lbs as we tested it with today? Another 500 when we head out to camp. Seems most people underestimate the junk they bring along.....

19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

That’s awesome they let you test drive it with a camper. I really like the look of the Ranger. I agree the 150 is too big and sure not something I would want as a daily driver.

20. Arlyn Aronson

Who asked?? [?:~{][?:~{][?:~{][?:~{][?:~{] We just stopped at home and got it!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    jnc and Minimalist like this.