new ford ranger in the works

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Arlyn Aronson, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

More of an review and with real photos. :laugh: With each mile of basic driving this new machine around town that we just picked up on Thursday, plus now after the weekend that included 3 hours towing our silly camper down to Lake Ste Katheryn. We have gotten to like the blue beast more and more. The roads we take heading south have speed limits of 55 and 65, which we might add a bit to :grin:. If you followed our complaints from the last truck we owned, enough power to operate at speed and doing hills while towing this camper, was a major concern of ours.

This machine had far more power than we needed, to do those speeds. The drive down there had been rather stressful, when we dropped to less than 50 while climbing some stupid hill! We could hear this new truck was shifting gears, but darn little speed would be lost going up them. (10 speed auto transmission) This little motor could.

More: The cab has more storage and more user friendly than the Taco.

Visibility for the operator is slightly better.

What else?

In the bottom photo, you can see a shelf was added to the rear floor so the mutts can have level floor to be on. Do new trucks need all that extra hair?? [LOL]

P1070564.jpg P1070565.jpg P1070567.jpg P1070568.jpg P1070664.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Folks, we just got back from a little trip to northern MN and put, maybe 700 miles on this truck so below is an extended repor..

It has the "lane assist" which my spouse figured out on the drive up. It was turned off so the person who ferried the truck from another dealership must have did that. So we got it tuned back on and set it for "max help" just to see how it worked. We'd not driven a vehicle with this feature before and wondered if we'd like it. As far as we could tell, there is no sound for its activation and no vibration in the steering wheel but instead, when you get close to the center-line, or the roads edge line, it gently steers the wheel back onto the road. Dang, it works nice! And we'll leave it on the max setting.

Fuel mileage. We did check the on-board computer against our math. For the 1st tank it claimed we got 21 something while our math said it was 22mpg something. This was mostly city driving. On the way home while doing largely highway speeds, we got about 24. While doing 65-70 MPH the on-board computer mileage was floating in the 23-25 area. Gee whiz, this is better than we had expected. This was without a trailer since we didn't bring it.

Tomorrow we are packing the trailer and tools and heading south to Lake Ste Kathryn.

Rusty2192 likes this.
  3. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I love seeing satisfied customers!

4. Arlyn Aronson

We just returned from trip while towing our camper which as you folks might know, is largely a square box that's taller and a bit wider than this truck. I'll get gas in it on Sunday and tell you how it did towing via math but this trip was going 60 and 70mph. Some driving was without the trailer but the dash computer says the mileage for this tank was 14.9. That is pretty darn good in our book!! [8D] And we can zoom up our silly hills.

5. Arlyn Aronson

We are liking it more and more with each mile. I need to get fuel in it today and I'll post another "towing mileage" report. Love the "lane assist" software and we run it all the time. (note, you must be going faster than 40, before it come on) Only bad points so far is its climate control buttons bite. You can't see them worth a hoot or adjusting them is difficult so they'll be impossible to adjust, with gloves on. They should have used knobs....

Asked by hillbilly in another thread.
    "How are you liking the new Ranger? I looked at them but have a hard time parting with my 4Runner"

WVhillbilly likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Love the shelf mod for the truck. Great idea to level the seat out for them. Even better they don't fall on the floor if you have to stop short. I buckle mine up, but they always fall off the seat. Although I see some problems with older dogs being able to make the leap to the seat. Ummm getting me something to think about.

7. Arlyn Aronson

I need to modify that "dog shelf" more since I can't quite get the seat back far enough for me. It was actually made for the Taco which we traded in for the ranger but I'll cut another 1" off it next time I'm in the wood shop.

We don't allow our dogs on people seats.

8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

One thing that I liked about it during the test drive was that it feels like a truck.
    Not in a bad way, but you know you're not driving a jacked up car.
    Horsepower is about the same as my 4Runner, towing mpg looks to be close.

I know the Ranger is rated at 7500lb towing, but that would be a LOT more than I'd ever tow with it.

Sjm9911 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  9. Arlyn Aronson

I agree and think that a 7500 towing capacity is something joke. Speaking of jokes, I just filled the truck and did the math and see we got 17mpg while towing the trailer during our last trip. This was not 100% with the trailer, but about 70% with it. I have no idea how they (ford) can get squeeze that much MPG from it! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    NMroamer likes this.
  10. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Refreshing to hear a honest towing capacity report. Been trying to convince people that towing capacity is over inflated on all makes of vehicles.
    The smaller SUVs have the most unrealistic capacity.
    There's no way that I would tow a 6400 lb travel trailer with my Tacoma.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  11. WVhillbilly

I got nearly 16 mpg towing with my Titan XD.
    But it was a diesel, so that's cheating. :D

12. Arlyn Aronson

1/2 way through da winter and we are loving this silly truck. Oh ya, we also and had a sweet HS girl back into the passenger door.. Turns out we new her parents and it will get patched up soon.

With something like 7000 miles on it today, this might be the nicest vehicle we have ever owned.. Any questions or comments??

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    WVhillbilly likes this.
  13. NMroamer

We have three ecoboost Fords in the family. My wife has a ecoboost motor in her Escape.
    The start stop technology really bugs me in the city. So I did a Google search and what I found out didn't surprise me.
    to meet mileage requirements they turn off the motor at stoplights thus reducing gas consumption.
    Looks good on a graph.

14. Arlyn Aronson

We don't have very many stop lights here so I left "auto stop" on to see if it bother me or not. Did think it would be annoying.... Its still on today and its not at all annoying..

15. NMroamer

One thing I did learn is stay in the boost mode on an eight percent grade at 9000 ft.
    We live at about 5450 feet altitude and everything North is going up in elevation.

16. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I just had to add a little comment on the Ford Ranger series tow vehicles. I am envious! I wish I could afford a new vehicle. But I am partially retired now and cannot afford to pay cash for another truck. Not that I really need to though. I am currently towing my Viking 1906 camper with a 2007 Ranger Super-cab 4X2 with a 3.0 engine and automatic transmission. Ironically, it is the same color as your new Ranger. Blue! I bought it used in 2009 with 30,000 miles on it. I now have 161,000 miles showing on the gauge. It is the Sport version with the factory tow package. I have had very little trouble with it so far. I owned the truck before I got the Viking pop-up. I was limited in the size of the camper I got because I did not want to have to purchase a new truck at the same time. When I was shopping for a camper, I was very concerned whether my Range could tow a camper up hills. My 3.0 engine is not the strongest in the world. It does seem to be a little lacking in the Pony department. I kept watching the highways looking for other Rangers pulling trailers. I saw very few. But financially I had no choice. I got my Viking in September of 2017 and promptly towed it the 100 miles home. The Ranger did great on mostly level terrain all the way home. The real test was the first camp out at Lake Isabella. I had to pull the camper up and over Walker Pass. That is a fairly steep climb up and over the top. As expected, it did okay for the first part of the climb at about 50-55 MPH. The last 1/4 mile to the top it got even steeper. I was able to maintain about 45 mph at 3,000 RPM without Overdrive. I probably could have gone faster is I increased the RPM, But I don't like to rev a motor much more than that if I don't have to (Old School). So I don't worry about hills anymore.

As far as maintenance goes, I have had very few problems. I can't recall it ever being in the shop for anything other than brakes, battery, vacuum accumulator, tires, and a pin falling out of the steering column shift tube. I do have a problem now though. The Check Engine light came on for a misfire problem. I put it in the Ford Shop to have them fix it. I hope it is nothing serious. Since I don't have 4-wheel drive, I also decided to add a Limited-Slip differential for a little better traction on the back roads. Ford is going to install that at the same time the fix the Check-Engine problem. So far, it's been a good truck. I hope it lasts me for the rest of my camping career. I'm 73 now. I'm not sure how many more camping years I have left. So far, I'm still going strong!

17. WVhillbilly

My company truck (2019 F150 5.0L) has the stop start.
    I normally leave it on, unless I'm in stop and go traffic, then it bothers me and I shut it off.

The recent cold temps have knocked about 1 mpg off my mileage.

18. NMroamer

You were right all along. The Ranger has a tow capacity of 3500 lbs. in the current ads.

19. Arlyn Aronson

Whatever the case, we're at about 7K of miles on this machine and really do like it. Might be the nicest vehicle we have ever owned. Recently got the banged up door fixed as well! [:D] Did I post that a HS gal backed into it?
    rangerdsoorfixed.jpg

1380ken likes this.
  20. NMroamer

Not anymore the new adds say 3500 lbs.