"New" ForestRiver first thoughts!

Grumman41

Apr 17, 2017
I got the 2016 home after a 17 hour round trip! Had to drive a ways because I couldn't find one in our area with the front bike rack.

Overall, I'm very happy with the camper but some things I noticed:
1. "OSB" board for the "underlayment" and it doesn't look like much protection for it. I wonder how long this will last with water from the road keeping it soaked? Should be marine plywood and coated with exterior chemical coatings. I would be very happy to pay +$700 for this.
2. There was a place by the fridge that had tons of caulk "gunned into a hole, it just look sloppy! I owned a custom cabinet company so sloppy cuts and manufacturing really catches my eye.
I guess I like Airstream precision but have a Rockwood budget! On the trip home my mind was thinking about removing all of the cabinets and installing all new woodwork....former and current cabinet makers will now what I'm talking about! I guess all these things would make it cost 35K so I'm happy with it!
Instead of particle board for cabinets I would use veneer core plywood to save weight, increase protection from water.

Adam H

Aug 22, 2015
California
Don't worry about the floor. My 2007 Avalon has an uncoated OSB floor, has no water stains on it and is still bright like new wood. My owner's manual says NOT to coat it so I would check yours before any coating.

Adam

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Try not to look too closely... it'll only upset you... bought a '14 new - still amazed at the "stellar" craftsmanship [:(!] Congratulations on your purchase though!! Hope you have many enjoyable camping trips!!

GalsofEscape

Super Active Member
Nov 26, 2013
Maryland
2x on not coating the underside of the floor - I believe the Rockwood manual says not to as well. We had a Rockwood HW277 for 6 years - purchased new. no issues with the flooring at the time we traded her in. and we towed that one close to 18,000 miles while we had her.

Grumman41

Apr 17, 2017
Probably right, sometimes coating can trap moister. I'm hoping it only looks like "OSB" but it probably is a step up from stuff used behind siding.

mstrbill

Mar 17, 2013
Austin , Texas
My 2007 Avalon has an uncoated OSB floor
Actually it doesn't, C/F/FTCA used a single piece of Structurwood from Weyrhauseer for their PUPs. I can't find the data sheet I saved for Structurwood, but IIRC resin is used instead of glue. This makes it more water-resistant. I don't know if Somerset is using Structurwood.

Adam H

Aug 22, 2015
California
Funny, it looks like regular old OSB to me. My owners manual does talk about structure wood but I always thought it was a fancy name for OSB.

Adam

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
I have driven through many heavy rains with mine 2014 and it looks the same as the day I bought it. I read someone to not coat them with anything as someone said as it will trap in moisture and you will have issues. Mine is sprayed with a light black coating, as I am sure all are so I assume it is some kind of protective barrier. I am not worried.

What you do need to do is go over it with a fine tooth comb and find any spots that need silicone applied. I found sever spots around my storage tank when I brought it home (new) that had air gaps in the silicone that would have leaked water while traveling. While I was at it, I also got underneath and went around some other wholes to close them off tighter so ward off any rodent entry points.

Good luck and enjoy your new camper!