new forum member from MN

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TDS-MN, Nov 26, 2013.

1. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Hey All,

Stumbled across the forum when I started doing some research on pop up campers, as we were given the opportunity to acquire one for a nice price, a few months back.

I had done some van camping with my family back when I was a child. And we eventually moved up to a really old pop up, which may have been a Starcraft, if I were to guess, based on memory. Used that for a few seasons before my parents decided to purchase a brand new one for the family. This was in 1983, and the family got a Palomino. There were 4 of us, and we camped a lot of MN State Parks for several years. Time went on, my sister and I grew up and moved out, and my Mom and Dad continued to go on occasional camping trips with the Palomino.

Early 90's, I bought myself a 2-room tent. I was young, and it provided a get-away with friends occasionally. It was nice to still be camping, but priorities when camping with friends and when you’re in your early 20’s are different than later in life.

Skip forward a few years, probably '97 or '98 by the time, and my father had passed away. My Mom decided that she just wasn't going camping by herself anymore, and was looking to get rid of the camper. I don't recall the specifics, but I'm thinking that it might have had some sort of spring-loaded lift mechanism, but whatever it was, she was not thinking that setting up alone was something she ever wanted. The offer was made to my wife and I, if we wanted the camper. Being recently married, and not really thinking we had time or money for it, we declined. Spent the next few years regretting that decision, as the Palomino was still like-new inside, curtains still had original creases, and 'clean' was an understatement. My wife had not camped, coming from a large family of farmers, there was too big of a group, and no time to get away. She was interested in the old camper, but not super-motivated.

So my wife and I were finally able to go tent camping, and purchased a newer multi-room tent. Had a couple outings using that, which were OK. Yet we still found ourselves more often than not, too busy to get away as often as we would really like.

Earlier this summer, had an opportunity to acquire the Jayco Eagle 8SD, from a co-worker that was not using it any more, and sort of setting up for a bigger travel trailer. The Jayco has suffered a small amount of mouse-damage as it sat in their farm shed for the past few years. Thankfully, they had done a fairly good cleaning job prior to showing the trailer to us. I found solid floors, and several small holes in the canvas, nothing too worrisome. So we pulled the trigger on the deal, and hauled it home for a more thorough cleaning, as well as some canvas patching. Still not sure just how often our schedules might allow us to get away, but we were starting to get more and more excited as we continued to clean up the pup.

We were able to get 2 weekends’ worth of camping in, early fall, before the weather turned cold and the area campgrounds began to close up for the season. But we both have really taken to our new-to-us pop up camper, and are anxiously looking forward to the next opportunities we will have in the spring, to get out and camp more.

In the mean time, I have been browsing thru the various sub-forums, getting modification and maintenance ideas to improve our camp experiences. I’ve got a little to-do / wish list going already.

Looking forward to conversations with the rest of the forum members!

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Welcome from a former Minnesotan (born and raised in St. Paul) who now lives in the great Pacific Northwest.

3. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

Welcome from the NW 'Burbs of Chicago.

WL

4. GeorgeHahnemann

GeorgeHahnemann Active Member

[8D] Welcome from Central Ohio

5. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Welcome from Michigan..and enjoy your Jayco!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

6. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

Welcome to the portal from the great frozen state of Maine. My DW and I also got ourselves a Jayco Eagle this fall as well and fell in love with it, while cleaning it up. It amazing to sit in it like a home away from home... even if it is in the front yard! We havent camped in it yet but we are looking forward to this spring! Already booked our very first reservations at a campground! So exciting!

7. classicpup76

classicpup76 New Member

hi from NC!!! We just got us an old 76 stardust swinger last week and cant wait to get it out in the wilderness. my wife has NEVER camped of any sort and I loved it from an early childhood with weeks at a time in Hoffman, nc with the horses that my parents had and on into my teen years with my friends in uhwarrie national forest to brown mountain. all over NC and now we have a 17 month old girl we I want her to share my love for the outdoors. I know we'll have a great time and so will u! thanks for joining in with us here at pop-up portal and happy trails!

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut. Happy and safe camping, enjoy and have fun. Glad you stopped by PopUpPortal. [CP]

9. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Welcome to the Portal from Michigan! You'll find ideas and information from experienced campers here. Looking forward to you joining in on the discussion threads. Be sure to check out your area for rallies. The only thing better than chatting on the forum is meeting some of our members in person! Really a great group.

Happy camping,
    Diane

10. skiball

skiball New Member

Welcome from Pennsylvania.

11. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

Welcome, from a neighbor from the east. :)

12. indy6

indy6 New Member

Welcome from the NW metro!!!!

13. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome! We put the PUP away for winter storage a couple weeks ago, and are missing it already. [PUC] [:(]

14. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Greetings from a fellow Minnesotan (St. Paul) and a fellow Jayco owner. Welcome to the site, and happy camping!

15. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Hello from Pennsylvania. Welcome to the site.

16. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

Welcome from Iowa, Your introduction story and history of camping was an awesome read. Now that you've found this site and maybe others, consider yourself bitten by the camping fever bug. I'd be willing to bet that you will find more and more time to get out and camp and that you will enjoy it more with each outing.
    Congrats on your new to you camper.

17. woobie

woobie My PUP is newer than my Tow Vehicle

Welcome from snowy Utah. Ten inches today

18. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

All us Northerners are missing our pups now. It will be a long Winter dreaming of future camping trips as always.... [:!]

19. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

You are so right. Went and added some tire covers to the PUP as it sits for off-season storage on Thanksgiving, and seeing it sit there did make me a little sad knowing it isn't moving again for a few months.