New from Illinois :)

SquishySaurus

Apr 17, 2016
Well I thought it would be appropriate to post an introduction as I've been lurking so long, so.... hello there! I'm from the Chicago Suburbs and primarily camp with my two boys (ages 6 and 9). We were camping in a tent and now are excited owners of our very own new to us 2011 Jayco 1207. I bought it back in March and have been spending the last 2 months reading everything I could find on these boards and elsewhere, freaking out, reading some more, worrying some more, etc. Anyway - I've spent the last 2 months researching, caulking, sanitizing, even put the nifty airbags on my suspension, and I've been learning how to back up and have been practicing towing (so far it has been great!) :) I do have quite a few questions still, but I think I'll pester you all for your knowledge of all things pop up in the appropriate forums. Now it is time to hopefully have the awful weather here turn around and start doing some fun things to my little camper, and actually camping :)

Natureangel

Everythings better outdoors...
Feb 28, 2016
Illinois
Greetings from a fellow Chicago suburbanite!
I just got my pup in March and am looking forward to better weather as well. Have you decided on where to go on your maiden trip?

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
Welcome from central Illinois! Consider joining us at our spring rally in Clinton the weekend of May 22nd. If you are interested you can find additional information in the rallies section.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

BigRedTruck

Jan 23, 2011
Welcome from SE Wisconsin! Yep, lately the weather has been horrible on the weekends. I actually cancelled the first trip of the year to Bong State Park which was supposed to happen this weekend. Cold and rainy is not a fun trip :-(

homan1

Apr 19, 2015
If you have Facebook we also have a group on there called illinois popup. Please come join us for our spring rally May 20-22. Last year was our first year and we are so glad we went. Wonderful people and the children have a blast. Mine are girl 9 boy 4.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SquishySaurus

Apr 17, 2016
Thank you for the warm welcome! And apologies to all in the northern IL/Stateline area dealing with this awful weather. My boys and I did the caterpillar to butterfly kit and I think I'm about to be overrun with tiny caterpillars as my butterflies have been really frisky and really need to be let go but it's been too cold!

I will def check out the IL pop up group and the rally - I'd love to attend one (May probably won't work with the kiddos school schedule though :( and I'm not sure I'm ready to go completely solo just yet).

Natureangle - Our first "big" trip is in June at Shabbona Lake State Park and we have labor day booked there, too. That is where my mom and Step father camp a lot so we'll be a few spots away from then :) I'm hoping the weather holds for this coming weekend though for just a quick "test out" trip. For that one it will be Rock Cut - My friend lives in RFD literally across the street and that us where my pop up currently is while I was working on it. Could probably push it there if I had to lol.
I also have a "girls" weekend in June and want to explore some additional campgrounds to start trying out :) We're planing Disney in November :D (winterizing conundrum there I need to get input on eventually lol).

steve7-4

'I'd rather be camping'
Aug 26, 2014
Northeast Illinois
Welcome to a great place to learn about your pup. I just switched from tenting a couple years ago and we love it. We will also be at Shabbona SP, on June 23 - 26, so if your there then we should meet. To bad you can make the Illinois Spring outing, be sure to join up on facebook. Can't wait for our weather to switch over without the rain.

Keith Hawkins

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2015
Welcome to the portal where you will find lots of great advice and even better people.

May I suggest you put the make, model, year of your Tow Vehicle (TV) and your Pop Up (PUP) in your signature line. This way, when you have questions people will more easily be able to answer without asking the same question over and over again.

Happy Camping!

exploreco

Super Active Member
Jun 20, 2013
Central, IL
SquishySaurus said:
Thank you for the warm welcome! And apologies to all in the northern IL/Stateline area dealing with this awful weather. My boys and I did the caterpillar to butterfly kit and I think I'm about to be overrun with tiny caterpillars as my butterflies have been really frisky and really need to be let go but it's been too cold!

I will def check out the IL pop up group and the rally - I'd love to attend one (May probably won't work with the kiddos school schedule though :( and I'm not sure I'm ready to go completely solo just yet).

Natureangle - Our first "big" trip is in June at Shabbona Lake State Park and we have labor day booked there, too. That is where my mom and Step father camp a lot so we'll be a few spots away from then :) I'm hoping the weather holds for this coming weekend though for just a quick "test out" trip. For that one it will be Rock Cut - My friend lives in RFD literally across the street and that us where my pop up currently is while I was working on it. Could probably push it there if I had to lol.
I also have a "girls" weekend in June and want to explore some additional campgrounds to start trying out :) We're planing Disney in November :D (winterizing conundrum there I need to get input on eventually lol).
Don't worry if you can't make this one. There is one in the fall too each year. Also many folks of the group get together in various parts of the state throughout the year. There is another rally the weekend after July 4th at Comlara park in McLean county north of Bloomington through the Great Lakes Pop Up Club. Some of from the portal will be attending that one too. You will join their site to see info about the rally.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

SquishySaurus

Apr 17, 2016
Ralphie said:
Welcome to a great place to learn about your pup. I just switched from tenting a couple years ago and we love it. We will also be at Shabbona SP, on June 23 - 26, so if your there then we should meet. To bad you can make the Illinois Spring outing, be sure to join up on facebook. Can't wait for our weather to switch over without the rain.

We'll actually be there from the 24th (been considering adding the 23rd) until the 28th! How neat hehe. We are in canvasback cove. Sadly I was too late to grab a spot for the 4th :(

Thank you for all the welcomes - loving all the info regarding various groups and hope to be able to check out one :) I joined (I think) the Facebook group but haven't seen anything yet