New FromTexas

babbaganoush

Apr 23, 2014
Hello everyone!

My name is Jose and i am glad o found this site! i recently purchased a 96 Rockwood Freedom 1940 with a lot of issues. Unfortunaltly i found these issues the first time i tried to set up my camper at home. So far all the wood in the ceiling is rotted, flooring in the corners is rotted along tiwh most of the funiture. We started the restoration yesterday by taking the aliminum off the top to espose a rotted frame with mold in the foam. We are planning on replacing the wood fram with the same 2x2 framing, spray foam but instead of laminate, we'll use sanded 1/2 osd. Wondering if this may be too heavy for the ceiling? Also, it looks like i'll need some work on the lift system asonly the rear pops up. Does anyone know where i can find a manual for a 96 or like lift system? ive contacked the manufacturer but got no real help. Once again, all help or advise is welcome as this is my first pop up and plan on making this investment a great one.

babbaganoush

Apr 23, 2014
thanks for the welcomes! Also, any word where i can buy replacement seals and weather stripping? also, Ive heard good things about marine goop. anyone have any exp. using it?
[RTM]

mocamper

Super Active Member
Aug 28, 2013
Welcome to the portal from the show me state. I buy most everything I need for my pup from canvas replacement. Friendly,knowledgeable,fair pricing.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Welcome from your neighbor to the south. Unless you are in Brownsville, I am certain to be further south :)

You may wish to post each project separate which will make the replies easier to follow. You have some big projects ahead of you. You will learn a lot. I believe if you hunt around the site you will find people who have done the exact same repairs.

babbaganoush

Apr 23, 2014
Phew! What a weekend... first the tear down. Framing..and laying down plywood.forgive me as im new here and not quite sure how to post images from my phone gallery as my laptop is wonky as of late...but as soon as I figure it out out ill post em up.

babbaganoush

Apr 23, 2014
so here are our plans for what we have so far. We are going to have to bend some new alimunum anyway so why not go all out right? We are going to sand down the wood a bit, smoke it with a torch to bring out the grain and then stain it to hold the color.