New front Deck on my 2007 StarCraft 34-RT

Firehawk068

Mar 22, 2016
The original Plywood decking (1/2") underneath the aluminum sheets was deteriorating, and the screws that held the aluminum sheets on had been pulling out over the last two seasons.
Finally decided this spring to re-deck it.

Pulled all the top-screws and unbolted the six tie-down points. (they actually bolt through the frame underneath)

IMG_1711.JPG

Removed the aluminum sheets to reveal the plywood underneath.

IMG_1712.JPG

Next was try to remove all the screws that held the plywood to the frame, but the screw-heads were too rusted so I just used a demolition-bar to pry it off.
I used vice-grips to remove all the remaining screws. They all came out.

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

Next I obtained two 4x8 sheets of 3/4 plywood (figured I'd go thicker/stronger)
Used the aluminum sheets as the templates to mark them, then cut them to size and drilled the holes for the bunk-support poles.
This Deck takes a full 4x8 sheet (actually 4x7'), and then a 1x7' strip cut from the second sheet.

IMG_1957.JPG

I used longer stainless-steel deck screws to mount everything in place, through the aluminum sheets, through the plywood, into the frame.
Then drilled the holes for the tie-down points, and bolted those in place.

IMG_1958.JPG

All put back together.
Much more solid!

IMG_1959.JPG

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Were you able to trade gold, ounce for ounce, for the new plywood or did you come out better than that? This would have been an enjoyable project versus a roof rot rebuild... Glad it went well.

Good job. I've always wanted a deck, but I'd have to get one of those Fleetwood S1 setups because...why not?

Firehawk068

Mar 22, 2016
Were you able to trade gold, ounce for ounce, for the new plywood or did you come out better than that? This would have been an enjoyable project versus a roof rot rebuild... Glad it went well.

Good job. I've always wanted a deck, but I'd have to get one of those Fleetwood S1 setups because...why not?
Just about......................$70 for two sheets of 3/4" plywood is a bit ridiculous, but it needed to get done.
At least I have most of a whole sheet leftover...................