New Germany SP

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by jenventola, Oct 26, 2016.

1. jenventola

jenventola New Member

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/newgermany.aspx

48 sites, divided amongst 3 camping loops. No hookups anywhere in the park, but there is a water filling and dump station in the lake area. Pets are allowed in the Hemlock camping loop, on all trails (except during winter), and in day-use area, with the exception of the beach.

Stayed here in October of 2016

Site Details: We stayed in the Hemlock (pet-friendly) loop, site 50. Site was very large and private, surrounded by beautiful forest. Plenty of room for our pup, TV, pop-up gazebo, and gear. Each site had a fire ring with grill grate, and a nice, large, composite picnic table. We were right in front of the bath house, which was convenient, but the light was pretty bright at night. We were also the closest site to the loop entrance, so we could hear some traffic along the main park road. Didn’t bother us too much, but I imagine it would have been pretty noisy if we’d been there during peak summer season. Camping loop overall was nice and quiet, though; we had two neighbors while we were there, and barely saw nor heard anything from either of them.

Facilities/Overall Park: Simply put, this park is absolutely gorgeous. Easily the most beautiful MD State Park we’ve visited. Everything, from the forest, to trails, to lake, to Meadow Mountain, is a camper/outdoor enthusiast’s dream. The fall foliage made everything even more beautiful. Apparently, the park is very popular amongst cross-country skiers in the winter, especially since they have full-service cabins and a warming hut by the lake. I’m not into cold weather at all, but I imagine I would love to spend a day by the lake in the summer time. Said lake area also has a concession stand, boat rentals, swimming beach, rec hall, and nature center, but these were all closed since we were there out of season.

Bath house in our loop was old and small, but kept very clean. I never used the shower, as it was too cold, but it looked adequate. LOTS of spiders, which don’t really bother me, but definitely a nightmare for arachnophobes.

We drove through the two other, non-pet-friendly loops, and were also beautiful. Sites here were spacious and private, just like in our loop, but with the addition of tall pines. Saw mostly tent campers, and a few small TTs. The roads were very narrow, with a decent incline, so not big-rig friendly.

Note that there is very little to no cell phone reception in the park, so combined with the lack of hookups, this is definitely an unplugged, “connect with nature” type of camping experience.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: There seem to be only 2 attractions in Grantsville, and we visited both. The first is Hill Top Fruit Market, which is a really neat store with extremely cheap produce, nuts, and spices, plus a huge selection of bulk weigh & pay candy. The kids loved it. The other area attraction was Penn Alps and Spruce Forest Artisan Village, right next to the beautiful Casselman River Bridge. There is an artisan village, restaurant, concert venue, ice cream, etc. near by. Very cute, woodsy setting, and beautiful wares sold by local vendors.

Overall, I absolutely loved this park, and can definitely see why it’s referred to as Maryland’s “hidden gem.” The only negative was the lack of hookups, as it got pretty cold at night, and our battery was unable to sustain the needs of our heater. It would have been fine if it had been just me and my husband, but I think it was just too cold for our small kids, especially with the wind and rain we encountered. I would love to return in the summer though, especially since the area doesn’t experience the same type of extreme humidity as the more central and eastern parts of Maryland. Highly recommended!

2. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a nice place.

3. Tilghwoman

Tilghwoman New Member

Mornin'. I know this is an old post but thinking someone might respond. I am a bit confused. By "no hook-ups" does it mean no sewer/water but also no electrical service? I just went to reserve a site for a few weeks from now using the state's online reservation system and it shows that there is electrical service at Hemlock loop (the pet friendly site). Maybe they put it in in the past year (or maybe they electrified one site)? I will call the DNR tomorrow but just wondering if anyone knows. Also if there is no electrical service can anyone recommend campgrounds close by that have hook-ups? Thanks.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Usually when one states, no hookups they mean no electric, water, and sewer. If you reserved a site and they said electric only then that means only electric, no water or sewer. I'm not familiar with this campground, but it's possible they upgraded to include electric. A lot of campgrounds are now trying to upgrade at least some sites to encourage more visitors. If you do stay I would like an update, as I'm always wanted to try it, but never had the opportunity.

5. Tilghwoman

Tilghwoman New Member

I will definitely post a review if we go. I'll call the park tomorrow and confirm whether they have some sites with hook ups now. We went to Pocomoke SP about two months ago and it was gorgeous with beautiful facilities. Hoping all of Maryland's state parks are as nice.

6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

According to the md park web site - there only appears to be two sites with electric (one in the white oak loop and one in the hemlock loop) and I am thinking that they are the camp host sites. All others do not have electric.