New Gizmos!!

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Orchid, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I just received a most generous gift from @Lfamily! This set of Gizmos appears to be brand new, never used. Not a speck of dirt or dust on any of them or the elastics. I can honestly say this is the kindest thing a complete stranger has ever done for me. She would not even let me pay for shipping. I appreciate it deeply and will absolutely pay it forward in any ways I can.

I will have the slide out Gizmo with me at Florida's December rally, if anyone can use it, please message me. We don't have a slide out, and I would be happy to pass it along.

We are leaving for a week at the beach on Sunday, so excited to put these on!! Our pup is very literally our home away from home, as we spend so much time in it. These will make it that much sweeter!

[​IMG]

Garrity, cyndib, WVhillbilly and 7 others like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks like you will have it made now, hope it helps with the heat. Good Luck and Keep On Camping

Orchid likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

That is awesome! I know I don't need to begin to think or say "pay it forward"... lots of good people here!

Orchid and kcsa75 like this.
  4. Orchid

We just got back from using them for a week at the beach. Fabulous!!

The one improvement I will make is sewing Velcro on them, so they can be easily installed before the roof is raised. Any advice on what kind of glue to use to attach Velcro to the inner side of an ABS roof?

I've been down this road before, and whatever glue I used to attach tarps didn't hold. I can't remember what it was now. :confused:

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We had a set on our starcraft. we ordered from the factory with Velcro. We installed Velcro of the inside of the roof.

We left the gizmos attached when we folded the camper up. It was a two stage fold in. First the canvas, then fold in the gizmos.

Three things we liked about the cooler in the summer, warmer on winter, much darker and we sleep in later.

6. Orchid

This is exactly what I plan to do. I just cannot staple into ABS, so need to figure out what kind of glue will hold the Velcro on, long term, in the Florida heat and humidity.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Glue gun? Most stuff dosent stick as you know. This might work. On second thought thats not removable........let me think....

And hapoy to see that someone passed something along that wasnt needed, happy campers all around!

Orchid likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

I need pictures, im thinking some kind of grommet, with a bungee inside. To hold it to the roof. Sort of like how the tenting is held down to the beds. If you can hook it in somewhere your good. Grommet sets are cheap at harbor freight.

9. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

I had a board to work with at the roof ends so I installed snaps. I screwed the male part of the snap at each end and in the middle. (Avoid getting so low on the board that it interferes with the gasket seal.) Seems to be working well the three time I have used them this summer though I use Walmart Orange Survival blankets instead of Gizmos.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Orchid

It came with clips to hold it to the edges, but I want it to Velcro inside the roof edge.

No board, so only Velcro is an option. BUT, last time we had Velcro there, DH went to take off tarp (not sure why since I was just going to leave them there) and the the Velcro from the roof pulled right off with the tarp and caught the gasket. I had just put new gasket on the whole camper and it ripped it in half. He did the same thing on both ends.

This time I'll have to make sure he knows not to take them off!

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We just got the two inch Velcro with tape on one side. I think at lowes. Installed the fluffy side under the roof. Our gizmos had a 3/4 hook tape saw on.

12. Orchid

I think many people are misunderstanding my problem. I have Velcro. I know how to sew it onto my Gizmos. I know where I want to attach the other side of my Velcro on the underside of my roof. :)

My Velcro is not sticky. I can't sew sticky sided Velcro, so I don't buy it. I need a type of GLUE that will stick well to ABS. I need to GLUE the Velcro to the roof to attach the sewn on Velcro on Gizmos. I'm going to Google to find out for sure. I'm leaning towards Liquid Nails or some such thing. It never needs to come off, something permanent.

EDIT: Did some research and going to try Gorilla Glue. I know for sure it will work with ABS, but have to hope it works with the Velcro, too.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    momofEAP, 10Barge and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Sjm9911

Just watch out as gorilla glue expands. It should work. I remember using it to put a iron on patch on my fire helmet. It lasted for 10 years before it came off. I think i kept pushing it down into the glue as it was drying so it dryed level.

Orchid likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Maybe some blue tape around the area so you can pull off whatever expands out. ?

15. Orchid

That's right, I have had it expand on me. It was on wood. I used it successfully as an extra glue for the peel and stick tiles on top of the old linoleum in another camper. I tried to do that with our current camper, where we had removed the linoleum to do some floor repairs. It expanded like spray foam insulation and ruined the whole thing. I thought maybe it was the wood that caused the reaction since it was fine before.

But if you had it happen on a helmet and patch, then it will probably swell with the Velcro, too. I might have to do a bit of experimenting with glues. I happen to have at least 5 or 6 types around the house and not going to take a huge amount to do the Velcro strips. I guess I should start rounding up what I have here.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Liquid Nails is a construction adhesive that should work.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

You may need to use a 2 part epoxy. It comes in a syringe with a mixing tube on the end. Look for the 5 minute version and you’ll have more time to adjust the Velcro where you want it. I wouldn’t worry about it being permanent because even if the next owner didn’t use Gizmos the Velcro won’t be in the way where you’re putting it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

When ordering, having Velcro put on is an option.

When you put the Velcro on the underside of the camper's lid, do it in small sections of 24 inches or less. This makes it more manageable to put on. You may also want to get some 3M Adhesive spray to spay on the sticky side of the Velcro to give it a better grip. And if you have a staple gun, put some staples in as well.

Halford likes this.
  19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Steve,

Wondering if the staple could hold? The staples go straight through but would not bend inside as to set anchor. Let me know if it works regardless.

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I used tarp clamp to hold the Gizmo inside.

upload_2018-10-8_9-43-54.jpeg
    I will try to take picture next time. I use clamp to hold Gizmo to the top base of bunkhead behind interior roof. It held same Gizmo for over 8 years now. I do not have Velcro. I used the small red clamps for interior Gizmo. Ah I used two red clamps to hold small PopupPortal logo on wash cloth outside for advertising purposes.

Orchid and PopUpSteve like this.