New Hampshire 2021 White Mountains Rally *** NEW DATE JULY 9-11, 2021***

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by nhcaveman, Oct 18, 2020.

There are 3 areas that would be good for rally, please look at the pics below and choose 1.

Poll closed Jan 1, 2021.
  1. Pond Sites

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Georges Run

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pirates Point

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

NEW HAMPSHIRE RALLY
    July 9-11, 2021

The Sugar Shack Campground located in The White Mountains National Forest.
    Don't bother doing a search, you're not going to find much as it isn't well marketed or promoted.

(603) 726-3867

So I actually had a conflict with the Weekend after Labor Day. That being said, mid July offer better weather for enjoying swimming, kayaking, or tubing on the Pemigewasset River then September would have.
    So I've picked a new date, hopefully people can make it. I'm not going to worry about what other rallies mayor may not be happening.

July 9-11, 2021
    (There are a few electric sites available if it's a must have)
    I know a place, like $30. (maybe $25.) a night dry camping, real camping
    no amenities, awesome ice cold Pemigewasset River
    no power, quiet generators okay (see update on electricity above)
    no potable water, river water only, fill your fresh water tank before you arrive

(there may be a fresh water hose other then at the dump station, I can find out)
    no bath house, port a pot only, use the one in your rig, shower in your rig
    A full bathhouse is located 3.9 miles away at the Campton Family Campground, a National Forest campground. Last time we were there the showers were $2.50
    2 dump stations I believe
    close to Plymouth, Waterville Valley, Lincoln and Woodstock

I have kayaked the river here a couple of times, and there are a couple of options. Upriver is a put in and you'll paddle right back to camp in about an hour. Or put in at camp and take out at the bridge down river, about a 2 hour paddle. Tubing is also great on the river as well.

Across the street there's a breakfast restaurant at the maple sugar house "Benton's Sugar Shack" open on the weekends. There's a driving range out front. But other than that it's a good campground for setting up cornhole, or ladder ball, horseshoes, bike riding, etc.

This is a legit campground with some of the nicest and biggest sites I know of and has 80+ sites total, it just isn't too heavily promoted or marketed. I've camped here once a year for over 15 years to attend a music festival hosted by the owners, and I've also camped here randomly a couple other times. Festival weekend is the third weekend in August, and that weekend is out by the way. Also another organization leases it for another weekend, but I'm not sure when, I could find out.

If you put the following address into Google Maps and look at the satellite view you can follow the road thru camp. It starts there where it says Sugar Shack Golf Range there on the left.

2010 NH Rte 175, North Thornton, NH 03285-6233
    or try this link:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/2...bb2d8c80db1d39!8m2!3d43.9030314!4d-71.6670825

Follow the dirt road to the right when it forks, just beyond the driving range on the other side of the bushes on the right, that huge round site is my grandfathered site for the festival. You can see some nice sites just past that as well. There are also sites on the left around the pond, and both sides of the road in the woods as you follow the road. Continue on down and past the curve there's an entry into an opening on the left, zoom in and you can see some of the sites and picnic tables. Continue further down the road and you'll come into another clearing at the end near to the river.

CLICK ON MAP TO EXPAND

I've chosen the area called "Pirates Point", at the far end This is probably the best area for a rally, it's big and has field sites along the river and large wooded sites as well. It's really an awesome area, for those of you who've attended the Vermont rally, this area would be very similar to what you refer to as "The Hollow" The pics are of the far end. I tried to show an example of both field sites and wooded sites.
    The sites that are available with electricity are not at Pirates Point, but are located in the area called "Oak Stand" but as you can see on the map there are two foot bridges to connect with Pirates Point, or you could drive around if you prefer.

But there's plenty to do nearby, here's just a small sample, I couldn't possibly list everything to do in this area.

Clark's Trading Post
    http://clarksbears.com/
    Alpine Adventures
    https://alpinezipline.com/
    Lost River Gouge
    https://www.lostrivergorge.com/
    Seven Birches Winery
    https://sevenbirches.com/
    Dirt Ventures ATV Rentals
    http://www.nhdirtventures.com/
    Pemi Valley Moose Tours
    https://moosetoursnh.com/
    One Love Brewery
    https://www.onelovebrewery.com/
    Rocky River Ranch
    https://www.facebook.com/Rocky-River-Ranch-503143663063442/
    And much more
    http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/topattractionsoflincolnwoodstock.php

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  2. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I would always plan to attend a rally in NH. Not sure what month you could do it and not get in the way of another New England rally though.

3. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

WHAT?

4. stefie19

stefie19 Well-Known Member

We'd consider going to a NH rally depending on when the dates are. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what shakes out and see if we can go for whenever it gets planned.

5. Ductape

Well, let me correct myself. I should have said 'be in the same month as a rally the New England rallyers go to'. There's the Not a rally, rally in upstate NY, the NEPA rally, The Ct. rally, The Vt. rally, and the RI rally. I think I'm forgetting something. I'm making an assumption here, but I assume 2 rallies in a month may make it more difficult for some to attend both. Lets see what people's opinions are.

Throw a couple dates out and lets go from there.

We would definitely like to see a rally in NH...... especially in that general area of the state.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  6. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I'm camping this coming weekend, and the following weekend as well, but after that I'll suggest we go have dinner with the daughter as a reason to make the trip up there and take pictures of the best areas and some of the sites for people to get an idea just how nice this place is and how big the sites are.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  7. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good Gold Supporting Member

Schodack NY is 30 APR-2 May, PA Rally 18-20 June, CT Rally early August, NO RI Rally, VT rally should be 1-3 Oct ? Deb and I would be up for this. Are there site numbers Todd? And when you reserve can you ask for a site or is it done some other way? I would consider a early June or early September, or early July

nhcaveman likes this.
  8. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Dave,

I have a paper map someplace I'll need to find it and pick an area, I can't off the top of my head know which area is called what. Did you happen to click on my link and follow the road thru camp? There are a couple nice areas for a group gathering. One we decide on a date I can find out what area we like, I could probably go up there and take pictures prior to making reservations.

How about Labor Day Weekend, or the following weekend?

9. Davylee

RI used to be on the weekend after labor day so that would work for a timeframe I think. Just pick an area where we can get 5-7 campers in, keep in mind most folks have hybrids or TT's (Scott) so figure they will need about 25-35ft sites

10. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I promise you Dave, nobody will have a site that's too small.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  11. Ductape

We already have reservations for Labor Day, Columbus Day, and whatever the weekend before Columbus day is. If we are looking at a fall rally, most any other weekend should work (obviously other than the Vt. rally).

Assuming the Pemi is high enough, the kayaking on the river is a blast, as Todd had mentioned. We have done it many times.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to lead a moderate hike. It would be 1.5 to 1.8ish miles (each way), with maybe 15 to 1800ft of elevation gain. I promise great White Mountain views.

nhcaveman likes this.
  12. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Emily and I took a ride yesterday to visit our daughter and stopped at The Sugar Shack Campground and took a few pictures. I did not take pictures of every site, rather I just took a few pictures of areas I felt would be nice for a Popup Portal Rally. I'm looking at three areas and will post a poll for those who may be interested in attending. I hope to get them posted today after work.

13. IvanS

IvanS New Member

New England is beautiful in the fall. We go to Vermont or New Hampshire about a month later, first or second week of October. We feel the leaves are turning and its amazing. It is cooler and we try to pick sites with electric at least to keep warmer.

14. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Usually there is a rally in Vermont at the end of September or beginning of October.
    This area of New Hampshire is beautiful anytime you go there.

There is so, so much to do in the area and I just added a list of just a few of the things to do within just a few minutes of camp to the top post.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  15. Davylee

I am good with the weekend you picked lets see if we get enough interest.

nhcaveman likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm interested. I'm seeing about Emily to see if she has plans I'm not aware of.

This place is just short of where we've camped in the past at Lost River Valley campground.

nhcaveman likes this.
  17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I need a campground to have a flush toilet. I could deal with no water, no electricity and no showers.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I just checked with the boss. We're good with those dates. We'll probably show up a day early if it happens

nhcaveman likes this.
  19. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Wow I just came on here to post about the still tentative rally in Salisbury Beach MA 7/16-18 (tentative because they still haven't announced the opening of the season). Maybe I'll still post that as a non-rally and if anyone wants to piggy back and head down to the beach for a few days after the mountains? I don't want to compete with back to back rallies but maybe there's interest while everyone's still in the area?

20. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Does this place take reservations? By phone only? Do they assign us a specific site? Thanks, I've been trying to get back to the white mountains for a while.