New hurricaine Dorian

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by nineoaks2004, Aug 30, 2019.

1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks like we are in for at least a piece of Dorian. The central part of Fl does not look too great, my son lives in Lake Butler and promises to load the dogs and evacuate to here if necessary. Orchid you probably need to worry a bit too as the latest report is that it may come really close too.
    I just hope everyone gets thru this one unscathed and it is not a repeat of the destruction of Michael. Prayer go out to those in the path of this one...

campfire Joe, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Thanks, yeah we are as ready as we will ever be. My sister is actually evacuating Fernandina Beach (for the first time) and coming to stay here.

We took a direct hit from Irma when it snuck up the gulf and got through that, so I think we'll be okay as long as it stays in the Atlantic.

We are ready with generators, lots of gas, food, batteries, etc. Power outage is the biggest possibility for us. Unfortunately, it's a slow moving storm so will be over us for awhile. That means more of a chance of lines down and flooding. We've been flooded in for three weeks with Sandy, so making sure we have everything we need. We live out in the boonies and the main roads to town flood deep enough to swallow a big dually truck. We could only see the top of the roof sitting in the water.

We did have good Samaritans with boats taking turns at the flood spots to deliver goods from loved ones in town. That was a life saver.

As soon as this is over, God willing and gas available, I'm heading for the beach to treasure hunt!

Pommom70, campfire Joe and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Orchid

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Pack some wayer also, i always bleach and fill some garbage cans up to the top. People thought i was crazy until the wayer plant went under one year, no water. I was ok , for washing , flushing, and cooking( its ok if you boiling it). Stay safe , and over prepped is ok. If you dont use it , its cheap insurance.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

I have 5 gallon jugs that I fill with filtered water from the fridge. I'm in the process of it now, kind of a pain to fill them. We fill bathtubs for flushing the toilets. We have a well that we can hook generator to if need be, so we're goon on that. Way too far out from civilization for city water.

6. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

To all those who are / will be in the path of Dorian, stay safe and wish you the best.
    MC

Orchid likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

I am lucky concerning water, I have a free flowing well and when we lost power for 9 days after Michael I ran white hoses and filled the water tank on the TT each time it was needed. I have three gens so gas as the main problem, but the store in Faydette Al. had a tanker full of gas and back up power to run the pumps, (cash only) they never jacked the prices up either, just took about an hours weight for our turn, but no one else was open so we were lucky to only live about 6 miles from the store.

Orchid likes this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Thinking of you all! Keep smart and stay safe!

nineoaks2004 and Orchid like this.
  9. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Stay safe everybody!

nineoaks2004 and Orchid like this.
  10. Orchid

Our fairgrounds yesterday ...

Pommom70 likes this.
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Wow that's incredible! Glad to see people are prepared at least!

Orchid likes this.
  12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Same here. I used to live in Vero Beach and still have a lot of friends in Florida.

Orchid likes this.
  13. nineoaks2004

The darn thing seems stuck, those folks on the Bahamas have a mess. Hopefully it will start to move soon and hopefully away from the Fl coast.
    It will not affect us, but seems that the Fl east coast will get a piece of it.
    I have a good friend in Wilmington and a daughter in N Chasn. and a son in Summerfield that will be affected in all probabilities.

Orchid likes this.
  14. fredhead

fredhead Member

My input from Naval Station Norfolk, VA. Some Mayport, FL ships are here. NC Outer Banks are evacuating. Fleet is getting ready to sortie from here. I'll be ready as soon as I get gas for the generator. Praying for friends and family down home in Morehead City, NC area.

Orchid likes this.
  15. nineoaks2004

In my 22 1/2 in the Navy, I rode several hurricanes out and believe me it is not fun and even scarey at times. The vessels cannot stay in port due to damages to the pier and the ship,

16. OldMedicDoc

OldMedicDoc New Member

Family and I camped at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach over weekend and learned of mandatory evacuations for the following day. We decided to pack it up and come on home. Hope all stay safe and get home.

17. nineoaks2004

I would call that a smart move. Maybe the evacuation traffic will not be so darn heavy.