New hybrid, first camper with amenities..

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Cruiser, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member

Just picked up a starcraft autumn ridge extreme. I've been dry camping for a long time in my Fleetwood Neon, dry cause it doesn't have any plumbing or electrical hook up. Just a propane heater. Going to use it this weekend in the driveway to get used to it. In a couple weeks I'm dragging it from NE Pa to the West Va Kentucky boarder for a 4 day weekend. If my photo bucket ever responds I'll post some pics. I still need a few things and hope to get stuff tomorrow at CW. And I need to figure out which grill to get. I'm between a few. I want a camp chef 2 burner but it seams heavy. Maybe just a small bbq.
    Old popup, soon to be sold to a friend who has been asking to buy it for 6-7 years..[​IMG] And then the new camper,[​IMG] A big jump up..
    I've towed a lot working, 24' 10k# highboy flatbeds with large mowing equipment, so this is shorter and lighter but it can catch the wind rather well.
    Any input I'm all ears..Been reading a lot of the threads on here.. going to be an interesting summer.

NMroamer likes this.
  2. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Looks like a really nice upgrade! Enjoy those amenities!

3. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Ohhh nice upgrade!!! Enjoy!

4. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

The camp chefs stoves are very heavy, but they are also very nice and have a wide assortment of accessories. I actually have a 3 burner and love it. Congrats on the new rig, you are up for all new adventures!

5. Bigpopper2008

Bigpopper2008 Member

We went with a Camp Chef 2 burner stove with oven as we really don't like to cook in the camper. It is a bit cumbersome but really does a great job.

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We Just picked up a Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner....several friends have them and love them....so had to keep up with the Jones....heavy/bulky...kind of, but works great for DO cooking. Congrads on the new rig...that Chevy will have no issues dragging it around.

7. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Single axle hybrids can get a little squirrly. What kinda hitch set up you runnin? I recommend a friction swaybar and keep it under 70. looks like a nice rig.

Orchid likes this.
  8. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Also bought the same stove with a heavy reversible griddle and a BBQ box, for our new TT that has a quick connect under the rear bumper.
    Still getting used to the powerful burners.
    It is heavy and bulky, which hasn't helped with the TT's heavier tongue weight.
    But you can't beat it's versatility. And it was cheaper than a basic RV BBQ and a bumper swing mount arm.

9. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member

Thanks everyone, so far I camped twice in it. First trip was down to Matewan WV. Had a dirt bike event down there on the Hatfield McCoy trails. The "Stolen Pig rally". The silverado did fine towing but fuel milage sucked. Was down to the 9-10mpg range. On the way home I went out 64 and picked up 81n and that got me 12mpg average. Then For the holiday weekend we hit Lake Keuka NY. Did those mountains fine. Using a WD hitch with a friction lock sway bar. Only issue with the sway bar is it creaks like mad. Had the 7 pin come loose on the drive home and ended up dragging it down the highway for 50 or so miles. So I had fun laying on my back and doing wiring. Just picked up a small grill for now. DO wanted to see how it worked out and how much we need. Weather to go with the big cook top, camp chef. So far I mounted bike chocks and two dirt bikes are no issue on the rack. Hoping to figure out how to mount a couple 10' kayaks. Next big trip is the adirondaks I believe in late aug. A few local places soon. I have figured out the grey water tank is small for 2 people over 3-4 days.

10. Cruiser

Cruiser New Member

I am thinking about replacing my back up tow unit which is a 05 Colorado crew cab. May look at a 2500 standard cab with a 8' bed. I know the little colorado is lacking for towing, both wheelbase and engine. The standard cab 2500 is only a small amount shorter than my double cab short bed. That should be fine wheelbase wise?