New idea for carrying a boat

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by 1stpopup, Jun 26, 2015.

1. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

I have been trying to figure out how to take a boat on the trips we take. The kids love to fish and we plan trips on things they like to do. So I have been planning on making a frame that sets up around the camper and attaches to the pup frame.

But then I came across this. http://www.boatstogo.com/inflatable_boat_sd365.asp I could just pack it inside the pup or inflate it and put it on top and strap away. Its only 110 lbs, weight on roof would be spread out and it could fit around the a/c.

Anyone doing this? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ed

2. tstowe

tstowe New Member

For that kind of money you can buy a top of the line canoe. Get a roof-mount kit with the foam blocks and strap it to the top of the pop up.

3. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Here's how I carried my 10' long, 75# sailboat and I carry 2 bikes with it.

[​IMG]

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks like a pretty good idea, I made a rack out of metal that slides into the bed of my TV to carry my canoe

5. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Thanks for the replies, I have spotted a used one that is a not to expensive. And we tend to camp near the ocean or gulf so a little more stability would be better.

6. capy235co

capy235co Member

Inflatable boats are very stable and easily portable. Never heard of this brand though. I have been looking for an Achilles Brand SE12.

7. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I researched inflatable boats to death and ended up purchasing a sea eagle fasttrack kayak. Inflates easily with foot pump. Pricy but you get what you pay for.

8. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I know of about a hundred oyster bars within a half mile of my house that would rip that too shreds. For a $1,000 bucks you can get a really good fishing kayak or two less expensive ones from Dick's or Cabela's or Amazon. Around here you can pick up a 14' jon boat for that amount of money and carry it on the roof.

9. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

If you have storage room and a way to transport it then go with a hard shell boat. If you do not then go with a quality inflatable. And when it comes to inflatables you get what you pay for.

10. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

I have room and a john boat. But I dont want to change the setup just to use it on the pup. I just see the inflatable as an easier option than building a exoskeleton to hold a canoe or kayak.

Plus it would be more stable with kids in it than canoe.

Just getting ideas.

Sent from my SM-G730V

11. travisma

travisma New Member

There is a brand of kayak called the Tequila and it's a sit on modular design. The one person comes in 3 pieces, and you can add 1 or 2 more middle sections for more riders.

But, it's not cheap and when put together is fairly heavy.

Maybe luck out and find one on Craigslist...

12. Carlsbad

Carlsbad Member

Saturn is a well-respected brand. As with all purchases, you generally get what you pay for.

I had a cheap inflatable and it worked for our needs but plan an hour setting it up and an hour deflating and shoving in the bag.