New Jaycos with electric lift system

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by Tracker51187, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Tracker51187

Tracker51187 New Member

I just received a brochure from Jayco showing the new line of PUPs, including the Sport, Jay and Baja.

I am looking for a 10ft PUP and comparing models and makes.

I was interested in reading that the Jay models now come with standard remote electric lift system.

Do people think this is good or a backward step? In my mind, it seems more convenient but there is more to go wrong. I believe simpler is sometimes better.

Let me know your opinions.

2. Tracker51187

Tracker51187 New Member

One thing I forgot...surely it is going to drain the battery and it does not say if there is a manual override.

3. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

I don't see the point other than laziness. Since I can't imagine if your not physically able to crank that you would be able to set anything else up. Other than a few rare cases, maybe I'm wrong.
    Cranking is probably the easiest part of popping up. It's just one more thing to go wrong. I guess you don't have a choice though if you're set on a jay series. Give me electric leveling and stabilizers, that might be worth the risk of things failing.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

In my case, an electric lift would be perfect and it has nothing to do with laziness. Because of other reasons, I have to put the family bikes on a carrier that clamps onto the draw bar on my hitch. I have to load the bikes onto the carrier and then hitch up. It's tight in there and is a bugger to raise and lower it onto the ball. I am whacking knuckles, have to flip the handle over twice for each rotation, etc. It would be much better to stand back, hit the remote and make sure everything is lining up.

It would also make leveling more accurate, as I could stand at the front to back level on the side and put it where I want it. Maybe that's the "lazy" part.

Changing my standard tongue jack for an electric one is on the eventual To Do list. Low priority though. The knuckles are self-healing.

5. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

Oh I was thinking it was a lift for the roof. Electric tongue would be nice, especially since my tongue jack seems to need 2,000 spins before it touches the ground lol.

6. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Actually, after re-reading and verifying on Jayco's website, you are correct. Not sure where I was mis-wired on that one. Right you are: it is the roof lift that is remote and electric.

Either way, I'm lazy and that works. Thanks for the correction. With the hot, sticky humid weather I camp in, I'm all for something that reduces my manual labor aspects, so I can get to cooling down.

To answer Tracker51187's question, they do have manual overrides for power failure situations. When doing that, THAT is a ton more cranking than a completely manual lift system.

7. Tracker51187

Tracker51187 New Member

yes, its the roof. It doesn't say if there is also a crank override in case of power problems.

I agree it is convenient but like chinolofus, I think cranking is part of the experience. It's a whole lot easier than setting up a tent of equal size.

I also agree that it is something else to break down or lose the remote for.

I was going to look at Jayco but this has put me off a little.

I appreciate that things like this can make life easier for things mentioned above, but I like the KISS principle.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

People fight to crank up my roof, I rarely get to do it myself!

9. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

I have a flagstaff with an electric roof, and like it. Mine does have a crank if need be, and I'm sure the Jayco would to.

10. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

I wonder if that can be retro-fitted to an 08 Jay flight 1206? Not for laziness sake, but it would be a nice upgrade.

11. 4evercoltsfan

4evercoltsfan Product Designer

It can be upgraded but it would involve new guide rod tracks and different lift cables. In case you loose your remote there are hardwired switches on the interior of the coach. If the motor fails you can override it with a 1/4 socket and drill gun!

12. daveman

daveman Member

I have a 2012 Starcraft, same lift system (same company...lol), and yep, it's a lazy-man feature but is pretty cool...remote keyfob & everything :)

Override is to use a 1/4 inch drill socket extension and a drill. Gave me an excuse to buy a new cordless....funny thing though, when my battery drained (I left the outside light on for a couple of days parked in the driveway...oops), I just used jumper cables to the TV and up she went :)

13. TGuy

TGuy New Member

Its called progress. Anyway, cars used to be hand cranked to start and i am sure people made the same laziness arguments against electric start back then. I wish i had a electric lift but for me its a value based decision and i dont see thw value in modifying it.

Sent from my Galaxy II

14. froggie

froggie New Member

I have an electric lift on my Palimino Pup. My now 5 yr old grandson's favorite job is to raise and lower the roof. I have the manual crank, but I've never used it. Battery hasn't been a problem because we're always plugged up when we set up or take down. I have yet to camp without electric, but I plan on it. Might use my handcrank then.

15. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

Our "new" '99 Viking has a power roof lift. After years of manually lifting the roof on my '82 Viking (springs arms, no crank) call me lazy, spoiled whatever. I like it :)

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I will now make sure if we're ever in the same campground, I camp next to you. I really wouldn't mind people rushing over to turn my 38 cranks, with an A/C. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

I don't mind it. I've learned a good posture and it's not too bad now. I still stop and take a break if I need to and I don't care who calls me a wuss. They'll appreciate that versus having to call 911 and peel me off the ground when my body goes awry. [LOL] [LOL]

[:D]

17. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

Anyone can crank my ABS top with air conditioner. Last I count 73 cranks to get it up. If I get another Popup it will have an electric raise roof. No way it will drain a battery. You only raise it once then when you hook up to go the car will charge your battery in route.

18. NYDP77

NYDP77 New Member

I have a 2012 jayco 1206 used electric lift all last year with no problems. They do not come with a manual option. Jayco said it would take "all day" to raise it manually (probably different gears than a manual lift). They said use a 1/4" socket with 6-12" extension on a drill. I bring a drill now. I know the TV could recharge the battery just worried if there was any problem between the battery and lift motor.

Dave
    2012 Jay Series 1206
    2011 Pathfinder

19. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Electric lifts are great! My back told me so.

20. bccamper

bccamper Member

We have an electric lift on our Jayco and love it. NOTHING lazy about it. The best part about it is when we are taking the pup down we can be lowering the camper while walking around it and tucking the fabric in at the same time. Very convenient.