1. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

Well in about 2 weeks (03/18/2014) I'll have my right knee replaced. I should be ready to camp come May

2. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you.

3. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Prayers for a speedy recovery. Jeepin Dad's Dad had his knee replaced last year and he is climbing all over his mountain Vermont.

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I know a number of people that have had 1 or both knees replaced. The rehab is tough but in all cases the outcome was very good. Made a big difference in their lives. Good luck.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

The technology involved in joint replacement is just amazing. Both DH and I have parents who had both knees replaced in the last 5 years. What a difference in quality of life! Best of luck to you :)

6. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

I had to read this thread to see if you PUP got a new knee! :p

7. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

Good luck with your surgery. By May you should be very ready to camp.

8. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

DH and I have parents with knee replacements. They suffered so much before. Albeit a bit of recovery, they are so much better now. Saying a prayer for surgery and recovery. If you can go to a rehab facility after the hospital and getting daily care, the recovery is a lot faster and better.

9. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

We'll test it out in June! [;)] Good luck on the surgery--we'll keep you in prayer.

10. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

I had my left replaced 4 years ago. No matter how much it hurts, keep it moving. The more it moves, the faster it heals. On the advice of a therapist, I bought a used recumbent exercise bike before my surgery. As soon as I was able, (after about two weeks), I set the tension at it's lightest setting and peddled. The therapist suggested that I plant it in front of the TV and tune in anything interesting. When the commercial comes, pedal. When the show returns, rest. Until that time, just move the leg. Lay flat on your back and slide your heel up toward your backside and back down to the end of the bed. Do it as often as you can. Even if it's only once or twice before you have to rest.

It will be worth the effort. Once you're up and around, you'll wonder why they didn't do it years ago.

11. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Good Luck.

Dad had 1 and Mom has both and are older replacements. She is still getting around well at 83

I get a Synvisc shot in the right one tomorrow. trying to stave a replacement on it for as long as I can.

Jerry in MA

12. bondo54

Had the shots 2 1/2 years ago worked fine till July 20013 had them again did not do so good the 2nd time. Doctor said they may or may not work then well they didn't but it was worth the try.

13. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

its 2 1/2 years for me with this one. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks
    Jerry

14. zjrog

zjrog Member

Hope the surgery went well! I had my left one replaced in Nov 2010, I was 47. Nobody can tell which knee it was now. And unless I wear shorts, nobody can see. Physical therapy is a must and you must do it all. A great website is www.bonesmart.org, tell them Roger sent you...

15. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Bondo54: by now you've had the surgery and are hopefully on the road to recovery. I've got some nursing experience with hip and knee replacement patients. As others have said, keep it moving. The first couple of weeks are hard, but it will get better every day. I've know patients who once they have gotten through the recovery period of the first knee, can't wait to have the other one done.

As for myself, I have 2 bad knees, about 6 months ago, I had the injections (rooster comb juice). I was told that they last about 6 months. I had good relief, but am now starting to get some discomfort, espeically in the cold weather. so it seems like it will soon be time for another injection.

16. bondo54

Just came home today. Dr. was made as hell today when he found out I was not released Friday and he was not told. Heads rolled and home I came.

17. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Let me know how it turns out. I think I'm gonna need a new one on the left. Going to the Dr. next week to get the news on it.

18. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

Had both done in 2012,, first in March , second in June.. all good now but now my knees are worth more than my bank account.. lol. Titanium supposed to outlast me according to my Dr. so we shall see..

19. zjrog

zjrog Member

Glad to hear you're home, how'd things go?

20. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Glad you're home! You'll heal much faster at home. :)