New leaf springs

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by D&JColorado, Jun 4, 2020.

1. D&JColorado

D&JColorado New Member

I recently purchased a 1995 Coleman Utah and was wondering if I should look at replacing the leaf springs. I want to run a larger tire and switch to radial tires for a longer road trip ( 2500 miles)we are going to make. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I would suggest the spring over axle conversion if you're looking for a lift. Custom springs could achieve the same result tho

3. D&JColorado

D&JColorado New Member

I thought of that but I am not sure I want that much lift. I thought about new leaf springs and a shackle link. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The wheel well is only so wide (side to side) and (front to Back). You should have slipper springs.
    I would also suggest forget the spring idea and just relocate the axle to underneath the spring. You will have to add spring seats to the axle ... not hard..... And the axle is bowed so you just can't flip it upside down. The axle and the brakes have to stay just as they are .... just remount it under the spring.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Of the springs aren't bad, just replace the tires and make sure the hubs are greased. I never had a problem on my 2000 westlake , and it went a bunch of places. Unless you need ( dirt roads) or really want the bigger tires and lift, why bother with it?

6. D&JColorado

D&JColorado New Member

I really don't think I'm going to do anything at this point it's a long road trip but the tires on it are really good they're just small there's a lot of controversy over bias or radial tires but I think I'll be fine just leaving it alone

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think radials are better myself, dont heat up as much . But more then that is the date codes on the side. Check those. If say over 7 years replace them. Some say 5.

8. D&JColorado

D&JColorado New Member

Tires are E rated Carlisle sport trail less than 3 yrs old.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Unless the springs are flat or a leaf was broken, I would leave them alone.

My oldest trailer is a 1976. I have probably overloaded it a time or two. The springs are still good.

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

The springs are good until they break. I looked over my springs when I took everything apart for the SOA conversion (and replaced all shackles, bushings, bolts etc). Over 1,000 miles later, the left spring broke - brittle fracture. We had never overloaded the Aliner.

11. D&JColorado

D&JColorado New Member

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate the information.