New Massachusetts Rally Location for 2019?

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by JimmyM, May 14, 2018.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Massasoit Just announced it's reopening.

Per the letter I got:

After years of being closed following a lightning storm event that disabled the park’s underground electrical system, the Baker-Polito Administration today announced that Massasoit State Park’s campground will reopen to the public starting on Friday, August 24, 2018. In recognition of the campground’s reopening, the Administration is providing free camping on Friday, August 24, 2018 through Sunday, August 26, 2018

Initially closed in 2008, the Baker-Polito Administration reopened the gates to Massasoit State Park in 2015 for passive recreation, such as hiking, fishing, and mountain biking. In order to reopen the campground facilities, the DCR has rehabilitated 94 campsites, upgraded the electric hookups to 20/30/50 amps, and added water to each site in two of the loops for campers. Additionally, 16 miles of trail maintenance has been completed. To assist in the operations of the park, the agency has hired seasonal staff members, who will maintain the park and oversee its campground operations. Additional work at the park included:

The renovation of the park contact station;
    The installation of new signage;
    The restoration of running water and power to the park and campground;
    The repair and re-paving of park roadways;
    The renovation of the entrance station;
    The installation of lighting along the path to the campground and playground;
    The restoration of Campers Beach;
    The management of water vegetation overgrowth; and,
    The restoration of four campground comfort stations.

While camping will be free from Friday, August 24, 2018 through Sunday, August 26, 2018 (there will be an online transaction fee of $8.65), the DCR highly recommends campers consider making reservations in advance. During the remainder of the season, camping fees will be $17 for instate residents, and $27 for out-of-state residents.

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

In that Massasoit email I got, they also had this little nugget of info:

Furthermore, this year the DCR is celebrating 125 years of stewardship. The agency (then as the Metropolitan Parks Commission) acquired the Waverly Oaks in the Town of Belmont, which became Beaver Brook Reservation in 1893. One of the agency’s newest acquisitions was the purchase of Paine’s Campground earlier this year in the Town of Wellfleet. The DCR will begin managing the Cape Cod campground starting next year. For more information regarding DCR’s Massasoit State Park, please visit the park’s webpage.

3. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

That sounds interesting and would be a 3 hour drive for me.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

An hour and half for me. Sounds very interesting. There website says no camping and I couldn't find a campsite map. Any info you could share?

5. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

Couple hours away for us... we’re interested! Next year will hopefully be better for us for camping.

6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't post the entire letter, since it was very long.

Here's the bottom half. Short answer, try today.

The public can make reservations starting tomorrow, Thursday, August 16, 2018, online (www.reserveamerica.com) or by phone (877-422-6762) for the upcoming free weekend, or any day through October 7, 2018, the last day the campground will be open for the season. Additionally, on August 24, 2018, a ribbon cutting ceremony will take place at 3:30PM. That evening, the public is invited to gather around a community campfire and roast s’mores to celebrate the campground’s reopening

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Here's what's on Reserve america right now:
    upload_2018-8-16_9-4-12.png

Here's the Campground map from 2008.... (So NOT current).

I really like how they have different definitions of NORTH (Reserve America is apparently West on Top....)

[​IMG]

Here is another OLD map:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Well.... we will be there A1-21 ............. Quincy wants to see something new. I will take a lot of photos of the sites,etc.

9. Bill Howe

Bill Howe New Member

Yes, please take some pictures of the sites at Massasoit. Also I have a lot of pictures of sites I took in May of Scusset beach, in case anyone is interested.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Will do .............

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Massasoit State Park is very nice. Lots of trails, nice beach, playground, all new bathhouses and roads. Even smells nice. I took pictures of everything and even rated each campsite. They must have been training staff Friday because they were all over the place. Not so much on Sat and Sunday. The above map is not up to date. I have a new one. On the above map "C" now has electric sites and water. The "D" loop I think is the nicest. Sites have about 20 feet between them.

As for getting there ........... RT 44 to RT18 or I495 to RT18 nice smooth roads the other way from the south is bad road alley.
    This would be a great place for a rally

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Even a half a dozen or so sites are paved .... "D" is for tent camping and not as nice. "H" is now the playground.

13. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Ray in the next post you say D is for tents so which loop would be best for a Rally? for Hybrids and pop ups?

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

On the old above map “D”. I will post the new map when I get home from work

15. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I will try to get in as its 25 minutes from me and is the closest park. waiting on your review.

16. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Hmmm....it’s only 10hrs 40min—not including stops—from my house...definitely a layover each way...

17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

IMG_0373.JPG
    Here's the new map
    My site ratings
    A sites 25,27,24,31,39,44,
    B+ sites 36,38,43, 45,46, 22, 2,35,3, 4,
    B sites 29,34,35, 37,40,49,9, 10, 11,12,18,
    C sites 47,52,50,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,
    site 23 is wide but shallow
    site 1 no privacy,
    Loop D tent sites no electric
    Loop A and B water and electric
    Sites 54,55,56 right on main road
    Sites I did not like were either small or were uphill to back in.
    Bathhouses where new and spotless
    IMG_0269.JPG
    Nature Center would be a great potluck location.
    IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0369.JPG

Beach and playground very nice.
    IMG_0264.JPG
    All the pine trees smell nice and there were no bugs. The campground was 10 degrees cooler than the surrounding towns at night.
    IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0352.JPG

jnc and Strawhouse like this.
  18. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Looks nice raycfe, thank you!

19. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Thanks. Seems some.eletric sites are open for next weekend..I at scusset start park now but tite to plan for next week.

20. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

Hi All! I've been remiss in not perusing this site for a while now. I organized the two Salisbury Beach rallies. I can say that we did concentrate towards the sites opposite the most crowded so that we had a better chance of camping together. I remember the rainfest where we were lucky to have a member with a huge tent to use as a dining hall, and I remember that it was VERY rowdy at the campground the second one - crowded and rowdy and the last morning we woke up to find a scene a couple rows away - someone had died during the night! Apparently an overdose. We had a lot of city folks up drinking and stuff that weekend, the Bruins were in the playoffs, IIRC. Also, I remember lol NHcaveman surrounded by fire while he was reading because the firepit was corroded and flames escaped into the dry grass around it - must have been a good book :D . So, not exactly sure I can recommend that park wholeheartedly.

I organized Winter Island too and would wholeheartedly recommend it even though your campsites are basic water and electric - some of which are along a fence of a field, others surround the old Coast Guard hangar near the water's edge. Salem, indeed all of Cape Ann, is a lot of fun to be a tourist and look around. This includes Gloucester, Ipswich, Marblehead, and Rockport, most of which we never got too while having a good time in Salem.

I'd be up for an MA rally. I think the reason the NH rallies aren't as popular is because if you are in NH, you're not far from ME, MA, or VT, all better known tourist areas; also there are only a couple of NH state parks with hookups, and 2 of them are for full-hookup-RV's only. I did a NH rally way north at Umbagog State Park one year, and I was reminded that in a great number of areas before mid-June, blackflies are a nasty pain in the ass. We also survived a microburst at night - and that storm lasted for hours at the intensity of a strong thunderstorm, which resulted in them opening the upstream floodgates and the lake going from 50 yards or so away to 10 yards or so away! Had to drive the popup thru the rising river on the highway home, fortunately I'd done an axle lift on it.. adventures in camping indeed. Having said that, would have been a fun and pretty place to camp had the weather behaved and we'd gone outside of blackfly season....

jnc likes this.