New Member Looking to Upgrade PUP to New PUP

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by raising4daughters, Aug 24, 2019.

1. raising4daughters

raising4daughters New Member

Two "can I" and "would you" questions in one thread.

In my intro, I mentioned we've owned a 2007 Jayco 1007 (10' box, no slide, no storage box). Lots of reasons for sticking with a PUP for the next 7-10 years. We are 54 and really only have 1 daughter left plus guest camping with us. Retirement likely not 'til age 65. Wife won't drive a full-size truck, and they don't work for my job. Many miles, tight parking.

We had just about settled on a NEW Flagstaff 823D (or Rockwood 2317G). That's a 12' box with slideout dinette and front storage box, but no shower/toilet, so a little lighter than other 12 footers with front storage. Before pulling the trigger, though, wife saw a Highwall and we are now contemplating a HW (Flagstaff 27KS or 27SC, MAYBE even the 29SC).

Current TV is a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer with 5,200 lb. tow capacity and 10,000 lb. GCWR. From sticker on door, GVWR is 5,750 lb., GAWR Front is 2,950 lb., and GAWR Rear is 3,200 lb. Owners' manual indicates 400 lb. max. tongue weight unless there's a weight distributing hitch. Then it goes to 900 lb.

Challenge for the TB is that it's 12 years old and has 116,000 miles. Runs great, but getting a little rusty. It's currently our 3rd vehicle and driven by our 25 y/o daughter who lives at home and our 21 y/o daughter when home from college, so it serves as our "kid car" and TV June-August. I figure on 2 more years of towing with it, maybe 3.

I see no issues with the 12' box with dinette for the Trailblazer. Agree? The 823D/2317G has a hitch weight of 292 lb. and GVWR of about 3,300 lb.

How about a 14' box HW for the Trailblazer? They have hitch weights of 300-380 lb. and GVWR of 3,800-3,900 lb. Seems like the TB could handle those, but maybe not the 16' box HW. It's 500 lb. heavier than the 14' and the GVWR is 5,000 lb. Seems a stretch.

If we retire the TB in 2-3 years, we have two choices for towing. First, we can use my wife's 2018 Chrysler Pacifica WITH factory tow. Just got it a year ago figuring it as a back-up TV. Since we bike, the hitch was needed anyway. Obviously, the Pacifica can't handle any HW PUP. I've read many posters suggest a 12' box with slideout dinette and front storage is too much for a minivan. The 823D max'd out is at 3,300 lb., just a hair under our max of 3,500 lb.

Go or no-go for the Pacifica on the 823D/2317G? Or are there other factors (wife and I weigh about 300 lbs combined, so figure 550 with daughter and guest worst case).

Other option in 2-3 years (ideally 4) is to replace my daily commuter vehicle (2015 Chrysler 200 sedan) which I was planning to turn over to our 12 y/o as her first car when she starts driving at 16. I'd then get a mid-sized SUV like a Traverse/Acadia, Explorer, Pilot, Highlander, something like that for work. Maybe even a Colorado/Canyon. Not doing a full-sized SUV or 1/2T truck, so please don't suggest it. Not going to happen.

Thoughts on getting a HW and towing with a mid-sized SUV, say our TB now and one of those listed above in 2-3 years? Doable? Advisable?

The HW versions look really nice, but compared to our Jayco 1007, so does the 823D.

Thanks.

2. Mattda

Mattda Member

Not sure how much this helps you but here is my opinion. I have 2017 honda pilot and flagstaff 246D. I can't even notice I'm towing it unless going up a big hill. Pulls it with no problem at all. If I were to buy a new popup the 823d would be the one for me. I like that it doesn't have the shower/ toilet combo which my 246d has. We never used it and don't plan on it. Another thing I like about our 246d is that there isn't a couch. Its all counter space which really comes in handy. The 823d is just about the same except for L seat. I don't have any experience with a high wall so I can't help you there. Everyone has different needs so you just have to figure out whats right for your needs and family. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

raising4daughters likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Are you going to be towing in the mountains at all? Mountains adds a whole nother level when it comes to towing. You will need to make sure you leave a whole lot more play in your numbers if that's the case.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. raising4daughters

Not sure how much this helps you but here is my opinion. I have 2017 honda pilot and flagstaff 246D. I can't even notice I'm towing it unless going up a big hill. Pulls it with no problem at all.[/QUOTE]

That's a possibility if we go for an SUV to replace the Trailblazer in kind. My preference right now is the Tacoma or Colorado mid-sized truck but that could change.

Thanks, yes, that's exactly what we like about the 823D. We're willing to give up the sofa and shower/toilet combo for storage space, and that's what the 823D comes with in spades. Made two separate trips to the dealer and both times we walked away convinced the 823D is for us, even over the HWs we looked at this past weekend.

Going to the Fall end-of-season expo in Cleveland in 2 weeks to see if there's any bargains to be had on the 823D. I know the dealer we've been to will be there.

5. Mattda

Mattda Member

That's a possibility if we go for an SUV to replace the Trailblazer in kind. My preference right now is the Tacoma or Colorado mid-sized truck but that could change.

Thanks, yes, that's exactly what we like about the 823D. We're willing to give up the sofa and shower/toilet combo for storage space, and that's what the 823D comes with in spades. Made two separate trips to the dealer and both times we walked away convinced the 823D is for us, even over the HWs we looked at this past weekend.

Going to the Fall end-of-season expo in Cleveland in 2 weeks to see if there's any bargains to be had on the 823D. I know the dealer we've been to will be there.[/QUOTE]

Oh thats cool. We live in Avon Ohio and if things work out I'm gonna try to make it to the show as well. I assume your talking about Kamper city. Thats where my camper came from. I didn't buy it new and have no experience with that dealer but they are probably the biggest popup dealer in the area.

6. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon New Member

I had on '02 Trailblazer LT w/120K
    It had no problem(s) at the time pulling my 16x7 enclosed utility trailer (2300lbs dry weight) with both my Arctic Cat atv's - (780lbs & 690lbs) with full riding gear & extra fuel using a WDH.

My suggestion however would to be cautious with GM's 4L60E transmission in this unit.
    Unless you have been "religious" and had the oil/filter flushed ever 40K, & added a larger oil cooler - it won't hold up to towing.
    The 4L60E were notorious for burning up when put into "towing duty" with at any mileage stage.
    When they burn up (they all do) and you rebuild/replace (4L65E HD ?) they were updated with a higher flow valve body, improved torque converter and a higher rpm shift point detent.
    THEN and only THEN does the 4L60-5E work for towing.

You didn't mention the engine size? Both the 5.3L V-8 & the 4.2 in-line 6 have good low end torque and good power for most towing in it's capacity range.

my 2cents...

7. raising4daughters

We went out to the RV Bargain Expo and came close to buying the 823D from Kamper City. They had dropped the price to $10,400 for a new unit. It was tempting but then we realized we'd have to add $800 and a few hundred for bike holders to go on the rails, so we figured we were in for $12,000 plus tax.

Instead, we went out to Jim's Trailers in Grafton and bought a used Highwall PUP. Even though it's used, it came with everything we wanted including AC and rails and 4 bike racks. Got the counter space of the 823D plus the toilet and shower capable of full hookup.

8. Mattda

Mattda Member

Wow $10,400 for the 823D! Congrats on the high wall. I take my camper to Jims for service and always treated well. Great dealership.

raising4daughters likes this.
  9. raising4daughters

Yes, that price on the 823D was REALLY tempting. Wife and I left the RV show on Saturday after seeing that and headed to Jim's for one last look at the used HW thinking we still might go back to the show for the 823D. But, the HW gave us just about everything in the 823D plus the bathroom, stove, microwave, and more space. Plus, since it was used, we've got more to put down on a new TV.

We've had ours serviced at Jim's, Hartville, and even Moore's. All been good.