New member, new camper.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bigfoot1269, Jun 30, 2019.

1. bigfoot1269

bigfoot1269 New Member

Greetings,

I recently joined and wanted to say hi and share a little bit about myself and get some more tips or ideas for my recent purchase.

I come from a camping family and was along for the transitions growing up as my parents went from a little popup with no AC and a 2x4 bracing one of the corners through a few changes to their current pull behind luxury castle.

My wife and I recently purchased a 2001 Jayco Eagle 12 MK and will camp in it with our 3 YO girl and we have a boy on the way. We often camp with my parents or my sister and her family. Mostly will be at parks with electricity.

This camper has a slide out dinette area and front storage compartment. The sink/range unit slides outside too so there's a good amount of space in there. I don't plan on using the range much at all, certainly not inside. I doubt it puts off much heat and I just bought a camp chef 3 burner setup with grill/griddle tops.

Unfortunately the original owner took off the rack for a battery and propane tank so the LP just sits in the front storage compartment and there is no battery. He did this because he added mounting brackets for 2 sway/ stabilizer/leveling bars which I don't really think are needed. The smallest thing I would pull this with is my wife's v6 SUV which is rated for over 1000 pounds more than the camper weighs, but 90% of the time I would use my GMC 1500. I already pulled it with both of these without concerns besides the SUV not being wired for trailer brakes or charging a 12v battery.

There's no wiring for the battery I can see at the tongue or in the storage compartment so unless I overlooked something, I'm guessing ill have to run new wires from the power inverter under the back bed to a new battery when I install one.

My dad helped inspect it when we bought it and the front corners of the storage area where rotted through but it hadn't gone under the rest of the unit yet. I was hesitant but with his help we tore the front end apart and cut out and replaced the rotten boards. I've checked it since after a few downpours and don't have any signs of moisture yet but I think the previous damage was done over time. I silliconed the !@#$ out of seams after reassembly and I think it's good to go but time will tell and the green treated wood we put in should hold up a little better than what was in there, definitely for as long as I'll have it.

The lift cabling was all replaced by the dealer a year before I bought it luckily so I should be fine there. The spare tire and mount were just sitting in the storage compartment and the mounting holes have been silliconed over so I don't know if there were water issues or if they just wanted it off for some reason and sealed the holes.

Canvas is OK with expected wear besides where a failed patch job is pulling it away from the unit between the slide out and a bed I'll add gorilla or duct tape here as needed until I figure something else out. The screen is good besides small tears mostly patched by clear heavy duty tape.

Sorry for the long rant but once I got started I just listed everything I could remember!

Im looking forward to finding more information on this site and am looking for any ideas, mods, hacks or tips for upgrades, space saving, add ons, etc

. I've come across some things like the small lights/bug zappers, bal leveler (I'm stil trying to convince my wife to let me spend the money), and more.

A great resource here and really glad I found this community. Thanks again.

Aaron

1380ken likes this.
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

6. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Hello and welcome from Wisconsin. Happy camping!

7. bigfoot1269

bigfoot1269 New Member

Also in Wisconsin! Black River Falls area and just came back from a week at a cabin near Hayward with the wife and her family.

hayyward likes this.
  8. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from Western NY!

10. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

My parents had a cabin on Lac Courte Oreilles, I know the area well. :)

11. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl Panhandle. Congrats on the NTU PUP.
    Good Luck and Happy camping

13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

14. O'ville

O'ville Active Member

Welcome From Ontario Canada