Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tlaugh, Apr 2, 2016.

1. tlaugh

tlaugh New Member

[PU] Hello to all: Being a new member, I am trying to figure out how to use this site. I read that an introduction would be a friendly gesture so I'm trying to come up with something that won't scare everyone away. Its been years since my family has "really camped". I recently retired and my wife is retiring in 38 days from 40 years of teaching. Over the years, we have camped using tents, slide-ins, trailers and folding campers (not sure what the proper term to use---I used the term pop up and some one thought I meant tent---maybe pop up camper is a better term---can someone clarify please :) ) Being from central Illinois, we enjoyed camping around Lake Shelbyville---Coon Creek. We just purchased our "new" camper this past week with intentions to do alot more camping since jobs aren't going to interfere with our lives. We decided on a pup since we love the Blue Ridge mountains and didn't really want to pull a large trailer type camper on back roads. WE (meaning my wife, and our dog) enjoy bluegrass music and plan on traveling to jams across the south. So much for introductions. Hope to meet and make new friends along the way!!!

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Welcome from northwestern New Jersey.

3. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Welcome from Texas! Give that retiring teacher wife of yours a big hug from me. I hold teachers in great regard. Sounds like you have some wonderful plans. Tell us about your pup and tow vehicle by putting the information in your signature line. We call the Pop Ups or Pop Up Campers. Here we know what you are talking about. The folks here are friendly and helpful. Lots of rallies all over lots, lots of experienced campers, and lots and lots of repair gurus.

[:)C]

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

Welcome from Maryland. You have found the right place to ask questions, people here are very helpful.

5. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

"Shelbyville---Coon Creek." My Mom's family settled in Shelbyville in the 1800's

Anyway, welcome to the portal from St Johns County in Northeast Florida. We too like to camp in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm a couple years from retirement and I plan on doing exactly what you're doing. This is an amazing source of useful information with lots of knowledgeable people contributing on any subject relating to camping. Again, welcome aboard.

6. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Welcome to the Fourm. I have camped at Coon Creek a few times. It seems pretty spread out with lots of sites and good for taking a long walk to get some exercise, meet people, see the boat ramp, etc. I have thought about trying some of the other COE campgrounds down there but have not yet done so. Weldon Springs, near Clinton, and Moraine View, between Lexington and Leroy, are a little closer for me so I go there more often.

7. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin.