New Mexico Jemez Mtns to be shut down!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Kutseena, May 6, 2013.

1. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[SUN] Hello fellow NM campers. The family and I where in the Jemez Mtns. today. We were told the Forestry Departments plans are to shut down the forest, including campgrounds directly following Memorial Day weekend. I sure hope that they change there minds and simply ban and patrol for campfires.

2. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl New Member

All about fire dangers 'eh?

Sounds like we're in for another bad fire year.

3. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Must be. I can't remember the last time we had wildfires in May in WA grow to be over 10 acres. Much less 2 of them on the same weekend.

keep it safe out there!

4. Kutseena

[SUN] You are correct. The forest is very dry and unfortunately people are not careful with fire. Just yesterday we stumble across a campsite in the wilderness littered with beer cans etc. and fire left burning. We of couarse put out the fire and cleaned up the litter.

5. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

It was like this in 2011 had to go to the Teluride Co area just to camp in the trees.

6. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Not too surprising, it's been dry as all hell this winter and unusually warm. We're going up there this weekend for mother's day, and thinking that'll be all she wrote until the monsoons come. I think Cibola NF already has restrictions in place as of last month.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

That's really too bad. I was down in that area about ten years ago and found the same thing -- several national forests completely closed. I am astounded that so many people are so careless with fire in the forest.

8. Kutseena

[SUN] I am taking my students camping this weekend. I will try to get an update while I am there. I spoke on the phone to the ranger yesterday and he said that on Wednesday the Forest Dept. is going to restrict everyone to propane stoves. Not even charcoal. Let's pray for rain. The snow fall was two feet below average this winter.

9. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Ya that is too bad. I am sure arizona will do that soon too.

10. altozwei

altozwei New Member

I'm sure the budget cuts have impacted this as well. They are certainly effecting the National Parks.

11. froggie

froggie New Member

I surely am sorry. I thought y'all had gotten more rain/snow out west. Pray for rain and shoot idiots who aren't careful.

12. kengibbon

kengibbon Member

We've been lucky here in N.W. Co, late season snow has got us up to normal. After a serious year last year Sorry not everyone is getting the moisture. I used to camp in the Jemez Mtns in the 70's while I was stationed at Kirtland AFB.

13. Escopeton

Escopeton New Member

I sure hope that the forest doesn't close down. But, there are always some idiot that starts a fire. Pray for the monsoons to kick in early.

14. trav

trav New Member

Commonly the idiots that start fires are the forest service conducting controlled burns in windy conditions that suddenly become uncontrolled burns. I also remember a few years back an out of work or underemployed firefighter started a fire as a way to generate income for himself. Lightning is also a major fire starter. Campers aren't typically the cause.

15. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Commonly? Yes, many large fires are the result of a prescribed burn that went wrong, but don't believe it is really common. There was a big one last year in CO, and I believe a big one in either AZ or NM. However, overall, prescribed burns save the land and there have been some extensive studies performed on this subject. But like anything mankind does, it can get screwed up and result in a big mistake. But I still say it is not common. And yes, there are those who are adamantly against any type of prescribed burn.

I will agree that the majority of fires are started by lightening, in this area, where the fire crews are run by the Moab Interagency Fire Center. This area covers both desert and mountains and is comprised of fire crews from the BLM, NFS, NPS, State of Utah. and BIA. It comprises over 10 million acres in
    east to southeast Utah.

In 2012 there were a total of 272 fires; 80 caused by humans, 192 caused by lightening.
    In 2011 there were a total of 222 fires; 44 caused by humans, 178 caused by lightening.

In both those years, there were on average 17 prescribed burns that caused no problems.

In the past five years, there has been extensive studies done in regard to prescribed burns and how they can interact with wild fires. In almost all circumstances, wild fires that are started by humans or lightening in an area where there had been a prescribed burn, the resulting fire was brought under control faster with less damage than a similar fire in a similar are where there had been no prescribed burn that had thinned out the area. Where a wild fire was going strong and entered an area where there have been a prescribed burn, the fire became easier to extinguish.

In most of the prescribed burn areas, where in a following year or two there was wildfire, the fire very seldom spread by topping from tree-to-tree, but remained mostly on ground cover, which are a lot easier to fight.

Just had a meeting on this on Monday so most of this info is still fresh in my mind. And I know a lot of the people in the fuels department as well as the Interagency fire center here in the Moab area.

16. trav

trav New Member

I'd love to see a further breakdown of the human caused fires if you have that information. Human caused is pretty vague. Even more interesting would the percentage of controlled burns that get out of control. I've searched for this information and I'm not having much luck, maybe you can point me in the right direction?

17. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Rodeo/chediski fire a couple years back in Arizona was the result of a women how was lost and set a bush on fire. An on the same weekend a firefighter had set a fire intentionally to get work. It burned a lot many people lost there homes. It was one of the worst fires in Arizona history.