1. C. VanHart

C. VanHart Getting back to it,

Here is pics of my back up lights for our Roo 235s camper 2.jpg camper lights 3.jpg camper lights 4.jpg camper lights 5.jpg

gladecreekwy, Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  2. C. VanHart

Sjm9911, kcsa75 and generok like this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

That remote relay has lots of potential uses, so thanks for that! Good work on the lights too!

bheff and kcsa75 like this.
  4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Great idea on the remote. I plan to do the same thing but I never thought about remote control. Where did you mount the control console?

5. C. VanHart

I'll take more pic's when I can. It's on the frame underneath but pics will show better. The remote works from quite a good distance as well. I always forget to take pic's or videos until after I'm done.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Good idea on the remote. The lights are nice and bright also.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Looks great

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure in this state (Virginia) if you mount the lights on the back of the trailer they will be required to ONLY COME ON when the vehicle reverse lights come on. Can't have wall mounted switch to turn them on... Another DOT safety feature... With that in mind I would mount them on the sides of the trailer. Most of the time that is all you need to see what's behind you anyway at the back-in spots at the camp ground... Most of us can't see directly behind the trailers anyway.

Back in my JEEP OFF-ROAD days we could get around those special lights by putting 'SOCK TYPE' covers on them when not in use. Now days if they don't follow the safety laws they make you take them off before they will renew your DOT safety inspection sticker haha...

Just something to check on before you commit any monies to it haha

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

9. C. VanHart

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="C. VanHart, post: 1328396, member: 91959
    I guess if it becomes an issue I will put in a disconnect. they can't fail you for a decoration :tongue:.]"[/QUOTE]

The DOT Safety Inspection will see the lights and probably write you up for bad lights haha... Who knows...

Roy Ken

11. generok

Some states inspect towable vehicles??? Heck, we don't even have motor vehicle inspection here in Alaska to say nothing of inspecting towables... I guess I live a sheltered life up here.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks really good they should come in really handy, especially with a remote too.

13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

We dont have vehicle inspections either.

14. C. VanHart

Ok so here are the pics from under the camper looking toward the front hitch. I think it's well enough up there that I shouldn't need additional weather protection. I installed a blade fuse holder and put in a 10 amp fuse. I went light because there is only a total draw of six amps and I would rather it blow the fuse then cause any damage. Also on the third image you can see I ran my negative back to the Battery. This was a common negative run to all the lights and was done because I didn't want to add any more areas for possible rust. I did use Blue locktite on all my mounting screws and also used stainless steel screws to help prevent future rusting remote control 2.jpg remote control 3.jpg remote control.jpg

I may put gel on the terminals just to be safe.

15. C. VanHart

So the next thing I did was to install a hardwired EMS. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC6RSA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I did this because I don't like the thought of putting a 2-3 hundred dollar piece of equipment out on a pole. I know they make locks but they also make bolt cutters:shocked:.
    The hardest part of this install was running the wires. luckily there was plenty of wire in the back I just had to fight to redirect it were I wanted. also during this ordeal i removed the paneling inside the rear compartment and opened up a dead space which is directly behind the toilet on the inside. I'll post those pics separately. I mounted the monitor for the system on the inside right next to my T stat.
    . ems control 2.jpg ems control unit 2.jpg ems control unit.jpg extra tail light wire.jpg

16. generok

That same unit is in my Amazon wishlist. I have to replace my fridge though, so that comes first and is kind of an ouchie!

Nice install!

17. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Great idea on the remote switch ! I may have to copy this. I have the same EMS and I will never own another camper without one. The first time out after the install, it dropped us off the campground grid six times for low voltage. Ignorance was bliss pre-EMS, I guess. Are you going to make your own bonded plug in case you ever need to run the camper off a generator?

18. C. VanHart

Honestly I haven't gotten that far so thanks for the comment. I'll make sure I do when I get that far. We are planning on dry camping in the fall in Vermont or at least that's the plan who know's with the shutdown.

19. C. VanHart

OK here is the last "Electronic Upgrade" for now. We bought a tail hitch carrier and when I installed it I noticed that the spare was in the way. (they do make an under mount spare carrier but that's down the road.) I wanted to move the spare as far over as possible but was blocking my tail lights. So I installed two extra ones higher up on the trailer. I still kept the lower one somewhat uncovered but now if I put my right turn signal on the new one is clear as day.
    they were super easy to wire except for the cramped space. I used https://www.autozone.com/ignition/e...-tite-blue-18-14-gauge-quick-surplice/18663_0 these connectors to tap into the existing wires and since they were inside just wrapped with some electrical tape. camper lights 4.jpg extra rear brake.jpg extra tail light wire.jpg rear tail and spare.jpg

20. C. VanHart

OK here are the three interior projects I did the first is a rack I built to hold the remotes, phones, and I pad. It was going to be made with wood slats across the front but it seemed to bulky so I used chicken wire that I remote holder 2.jpg remote holder 3.jpg remote holder.jpg painted with rubber instead.

Strawhouse and Sjm9911 like this.