New Option for a Bike Carrier

rwilliek

Jan 21, 2014
SO we camp on weekends mostly, and the kids are always wanting to bring their bikes. We couldn't come up with a decent mode of transporting them....until I came up with this.....

Costs: $10 for the hitch mount bike carrier
$20 for the 1.25-inch x 12-inch hitch tube

IMG_4944_zps4ibtgmht.jpg

IMG_4943_zpsoyje1hjd.jpg

IMG_4942_zps91vlquzc.jpg

Added hitch weight is negligible, the bikes we are carrying are small kids bikes (ages 9,7,and 5.5), plus we removed the battery box and propane tank....we don't use them anyway. BUT, they can be used with this addition in place.

R00

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2014
Use hardened (grade eight) bolts. The bikes may seem light, but bouncing around multiplies the stress on your mounting points.

R00

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2014
I may steal this idea. I actually need tongue weight...

rwilliek

Jan 21, 2014
I intend to use a grade 8 bolt as a hitch pin. The other bolts (except the U bolts) are all factory to the carrier.

FL_Bill

I'm cooking something yummy!
Aug 3, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Nice idea. Make sure your attaching bar at the base dose not spin and allow the load to fall sideways. Instead of U bolts maybe drill through holes and use straight bolts...?

I opted to go with a front mount hitch. It frees up so much space for us. Originally we were using a hitch mounted on the back of the pup, but this is much better.

Happy camping!

FL Bill

rwilliek

Jan 21, 2014
What you can't see in the photos is, I used a CURT hitch tube which is square. The tube us pulled up against the angle iron in the center of the tongue, no chance it will twist.

rwilliek

Jan 21, 2014
I forgot to mention - the bike rack has a folding option - pull the pin and it folds down to let the bed out.

FL_Bill

I'm cooking something yummy!
Aug 3, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida
in Kentucky I'm sure there is someone that does equipment repair or mechanic or even a farmer. Any of those people would throw $5-20 weld down there for you that would be sufficient. Just a thought.

FLB

edh

Super Active Member
Jun 2, 2008
Nice idea, and better than bikes on the back of the camper I would think.

Anyone used a product that mounts a carrier on the front of a tow vehicle? I'd like mine to stay with the vehicle rather than the camper. Back in the days of real bumpers I had a bumper mount carrier that worked on either front or rear bumpers, worked fine for two bikes.