New Owner - Aliner Expedition... modifications have begun!

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by BostonDad, May 24, 2020.

1. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Thanks for the tip, A-Ranger12!

2. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

BostonDad likes this.
  3. jackquontee

jackquontee Active Member Diamond Supporting Member

I've got something similar and have always appreciated the storage and organization it provides.

BostonDad likes this.
  4. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Ok, some progress. I managed to take out the old AC unit with little effort.

5ABFC9D9-FCC5-45C3-BE0F-F74D5FAA0007.jpeg

Econ likes this.
  5. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Was ready to put the new air conditioner in but noticed that the cabinets were separating from the wall so I mixed up some marine grade epoxy and started pouring it in. I am letting it set overnight with a couple of c-clamps. Hopefully that will fix the problem!
    4335F2F6-B3F1-4C92-80DA-6B90119D392F.jpeg

6. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

I took out the ol’ trusty welder and started making brackets today. My welds leave something to be desired, but structurally they are solid. I am hoping some paint will make them look “prettier.”

742AF6FE-4EB7-47DF-BBF9-39D6738C6622.jpeg

Econ likes this.
  7. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

ADFF006C-FD2F-45C3-B670-3C19DED9DC80.jpeg 495F6235-BD10-4F3A-966C-F082F33E2F4F.jpeg Ok, finally got the air conditioner in. I am lucky enough to live close to the sea and so I have access to a lot of boat/marine stores.

When I installed the new a/c I used stainless steel marine rivets. I highly recommend them. They're stronger and won’t leave any water leakage marks like aluminum rivets, etc.

DiamondGirl and jackquontee like this.
  8. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

1F4C0EBF-A767-4D2A-9000-E31469604AD9.jpeg I got busy working last night and using those custom welded brackets I posted earlier I mounted a 10 cubic ft diamond plate storage box to the back of the Aliner.

9. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

F2FA83C7-D515-4E17-BDCF-696AAB05476C.jpeg I then relocated the spare tire to the front.

10. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

Our first trip with the Aliner was a success! The kids had a blast!

43DEA093-8839-434A-9E48-39252DBCC077.jpeg

11. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Aliner developed a reputation for poor bumper design/welding in the earlier models. Hopefully this is a case that the reputation still lives inspite of a design change. My rear bumper was heavily modified when I got it. You may wish to keep an eye on the weld joints. It can't be determined how you attached it from the photos.

For a winter project, the window unit A/C doesn't last long because the road vibration shakes the solder joints after a few years. Someone rigged up an A/C that he removes and transports in the TV. You will have to do some research to find how he did it. I have a Cool Cat so no need for me.

Mine is one year older than yours. If you have any questions and need a year model specific question answered, ask me and I will compare.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  12. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

The bumper is definitely a weakness on Aliners. You may want to modify the bumper by making it stronger. Some have reinforced it with stronger/thicker metal.

Your progress is amazing and can’t wait to see more creative ideas.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

BostonDad and Econ like this.
  13. Tait

Tait Member Gold Supporting Member

I set up a bike rack in the receiver on the back of mine… The bumper had a lot of flex in it when the bikes were on the rack. On the advice of an engineer friend, I attached a plate that goes from the bumper to the rear most frame element (about 6 inches forward of the bumper). That solved the flexing problem in my case very well! It was easy to do (bending the steel was the hardest part).

DiamondGirl, Econ and BostonDad like this.
  14. BostonDad

BostonDad Member

This is a great idea. I ended up removing the box and now have a 2 bike rack setup in the back by way of a Curt 2” bumper mount hitch. The bikes with hitch rack weigh a total of 85 lbs. I am not too worried about it but I also like your mod and I will certainly look into it!