New owner needing canvas advice

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Osborne13, May 22, 2020 at 6:29 PM.

1. Osborne13

Osborne13 New Member

I'm currently repairing and renovating my pu and would like to know if I should clean and apply new waterproofing to my canvas while on the pu, or would it be easier off?

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Please post year, make and model of your popup
    It will depend on just how bad your "canvas " is but I would never take it off to clean.

3. Osborne13

Osborne13 New Member

Sorry, I thought I had it in my signature but I guess I didn't do something right. Anyway,
    2001 Coleman bayside
    Currently going through major repair/ renovation

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Never say never but I'm not aware of any camper manufactured in at least the last 25 yrs that uses canvas tenting. In your most recent post you've now told us your have a 2001 Bayside, in which case the tenting is Sunbrella. Best advice for cleaning is to follow the cleaning instructions in your owner's manual. I also wouldn't "waterproof" it unless you have a specific area that leaks, otherwise leave it alone. Fleetwood tenting is sectional so the task of removing it from the camper for cleaning is much easier than with brands where the tenting is not sectional.

5. Osborne13

Osborne13 New Member

My apologies for saying "canvas", the tenting is what I'm speaking of. While testing a cleaner, I cleaned a small spot on the exterior and the tenting soaked up the water as opposed to beading up. I've come across articles and videos elsewhere of people using things like scotch guard on the exterior.

6. GreyFox

Page 46 of your owner's manual specifically refers to 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. That said, in the 6 yrs we owned our 2000 Santa Fe I never once treated the Sunbrella tenting other than using clear water on occasional dirty areas.

Osborne13 likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've always referred to it as canvas. So do most of the other people here.

Definitely clean it while on and then, after it completely dries, use 303 to waterproof it. :smiley: Apply to exterior of canvas. Same with seam sealer, if you ever need it. Only apply to exterior.

You may be able to find it cheaper, just put the link in to show you what to use on it.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    Osborne13 likes this.
  8. Osborne13

Osborne13 New Member

Very good, thanks for the information and the link for the manual. I've been focused on getting the build underway and haven't even thought about searching for the manual.

9. GreyFox

So too do many folks refer to "110 volt" electrical service when no such thing has existed for a long, long time - regardless that many may use these terms doesn't make it correct. Here in N America the standard is 120 vac +/- 5%, not 110, not 115, not 117. The same reasoning applies to referring to camper tenting as "canvas" when in reality the different trailer manufacturers have for decades used one variation or another of their own favourite tenting material, such as Boltaflex for Jayco, Sunbrella and Evolution 3 for Fleetwood, Aqualon for Starcraft, etc, etc, etc. The only way to properly clean any of these tenting products is to know for a fact just what it is you're intending to clean, otherwise you can do even more damage to the fabric. This damage may not show up until quite a bit later if the cleaner used is the wrong type or isn't fully removed and is left embedded in the fabric. Over time residual chemical slowly destroys the tenting, allowing the fabric to discolour and eventually tear. Yeah, correct terminology does make a difference. o_O

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think calling canvas is acceptable no matter what it is actually made off.

11. GreyFox

Different tenting materials require different approaches to cleaning, what works well with one isn't necessarily appropriate for use on another, including true canvas. Following instructions in the owner's manual for the camper in question is always the best course to follow. ;)