New Owner of a broken lift cable on a 94 Coleman Destiny Royale... Any advice??!?!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BabyLo0ove, Jun 4, 2018.

1. BabyLo0ove

BabyLo0ove New Member

Hello! New to PopUpPortal and also the new owner to a 94 Coleman Destiny Royale popup camper. It was my Mom and Dads and they so kindly gave it to me!
    I'm super excited to work on a "make over" however, before I can get to that...we gotta replace the lift system cables :/

I've done a lot of research...however we're having a hard time finding the best/correct way to prop it open. When the lift is turned it will lift the whole back side.. but not the front side. It was an AC on top so picking it up by hand isn't working..

Any advice/suggests anything is WELCOMED!!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@smit1088 I'll leave this one for you as I have not had to play this game yet.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Thanks JNC. I love these questions.

Please look at this page
    http://www.campersolutions.com/home/help-my-roof-won-t-lower

On the top of the page are links that will help you. To raise the roof with broken cables, you just have to lift it up manually (three people I'd guess could do it together). I know some folks advise that you cut a few supports that you can install as you raise the roof. But you will at least need supports for the final height to hold the roof up. OR I guess you can use the door since most of use Coleman owners KNOW the door will hold the roof :) You will find out someday also. (please don't use the door for this purpose intentionally, it is a backup system)

Orchid likes this.
  4. jnc

@smit1088 "Coleman owners KNOW the door will hold the roof" Yup I learned this again the other day while I was greasing the Whiffle Tree. I was shaking the lift polls wondering why they were weightless when the roof was crocked & being lowered. After about the 3rd walk around & 3rd attempt at going up & down I opened the door to look inside and realized the door was the problem.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL][LOL] Been there, done that. More than once. So glad we are not alone.

jnc likes this.
  6. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

I'm not sure how much access you have to different length boards, but when I redid my Coachmen, I used a floor jack and some lengths of 2X4. I'd jack up one side and insert boards to hold it, then go jack up the other side. I'd keep going back and forth shoring up the sides until it was all the way up.
    [​IMG]

CampFamily14 and jnc like this.
  7. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Good idea to use a floor jack. I know my jack will go up about 18". I could barrow another one from a buddy and it would be easy enough to get spare wood to cut up for supports.

Great suggestion!

Folsoml likes this.
  8. jnc

I would go total redneck and park it under a tree and us a Come a Long or Block & Tackle to get it up. Than put some braces at the lift posts.

9. CampFamily14

CampFamily14 New Member

I just got my PUP cracked open today. It's not completely lifted, yet. I used two scissor jacks, set on the top edge of the body itself, and have it braced with some bricks. I have to go to Home Depot to get some better braces cut!

jnc likes this.