New Photography Toy

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Hoomi, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

I picked up a DJI Phantom 3 Standard on a Black Friday sale. I've been having fun playing with it, and took it out for some practice with irregular terrain and camera angles yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efSB-xxd9Hc

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Very nice !

3. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Very cool! I am looking at a Drone with a camera as well.

4. Hoomi

Every review I read indicated the DJI Phantom 3 Standard is one of the best camera drones available for a beginning drone pilot. Regular price here in the U.S. is about $500, and I haven't seen another drone in the price range with the rating and the features of the Phantom 3 Standard.

The Phantom is stable enough that I put it in a hover, and can turn my attention to my P&S camera to shoot a photo of the drone in flight. It also has the feature that if it loses controller signal, it will hover in place for about 15 seconds or so, waiting for signal, and if it doesn't receive it, it automatically returns to the position it started the flight from and lands. Several videos on YouTube of people testing this feature, with impressive results.

5. Hoomi

Shot another video today, at a different section of the Arizona Trail overlooking the Cienega Creek Riparian Area. I took it out of Beginner Mode, set my maximum distance up to 90 meters and max altitude up to 35 meters, and flew over the creek area and the desert adjacent to the trail.

The Riparian areas are some of the few places where you'll find naturally occurring fall colors in the Sonoran Desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfoHRt2WlKY&feature=youtu.be

6. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Make sure you get it registered, sounds like you're being careful so thanks!
    Too many people buy these things and do X with them creating all these new rules as we've seen recently.

They really can be a ton of fun.

7. Hoomi

Yeah, I registered it pretty much as soon as I got it home, and have it marked with my FAA number per the FAA rules. I also have the FAA's "B4UFLY" app on my phone, which ties in with the phone GPS and will indicate whether a prospective flying location is under any restrictions.

If I understand it correctly, the DJI "Go" app that ties the phone to the drone through the controller will not allow the drone to take off if I try to fly too close to an airport or other fixed "no fly zone."